RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2003 rx300 overhaul won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 03:05 PM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 rx300 overhaul won't start

Hey all, I'm going bald from scratching my head on this one, The transfer case froze up here a little over a month ago. Big job so while doing it we changed the rear oil seal, changed the water pump and timing belts, and front struts. This project has taken about 1 month Last night when we finally got it back together, it would not start...... just crank. After checking connections i tried a different key which didn't work. observing the anti theft light, i'm thinking ecu. I have two different comptuer programs, one says there are 3 keys in memory which sounds right, it also says that anti theft deterrent is not available. anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Don
Old 02-01-15, 08:08 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

How about removing plug #2 and laying it on the engine block. Have some one crank the engine and see if you are getting spark. This would verify if the imobilizer is allowing spark to come.

Next confirm that you are getting fuel.

Third would be confirm timing. See the ongoing discussion on Timing belt.

I would also verify that all grounds are hooked up.

Salim
Old 02-02-15, 05:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Unrelated to your no start situation, but I'm just curious because we don't see many threads about the transfer case failing.

How many miles on your RX? And, were you able to find out why the transfer case failed?
Old 02-02-15, 07:20 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
How about removing plug #2 and laying it on the engine block. Have some one crank the engine and see if you are getting spark. This would verify if the imobilizer is allowing spark to come.

Salim
Thanks Salim I will try these or I should say I will have my buddy who is helping me try these. The car is fo 50 miles away from me... it was the best place to do it since he has a rack to lift the car.
Old 02-02-15, 09:45 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Unrelated to your no start situation, but I'm just curious because we don't see many threads about the transfer case failing.

How many miles on your RX? And, were you able to find out why the transfer case failed?
My rx300 has about 153000. I had a gut feeling about buying this car just because what I was told and what I was seeing wasn't adding up. But I figured anything could be fixed LOL. (it can be but the cost is the other factor)
After buying the car I found the u-joints were bad so I had those replaced and then I noticed there was an oil leak coming out of the tail of the transfer case. I replaced that seal and thought the leak had stopped ( it had not) I am not a fan of this transfer case because from my research you are supposed to put in .90 liters of fluid. That much fluid doesn't fill to a certain location and you can't get a digit into the spot to measure (like a differential on the old cars) So one really knows how much is in the case.
When the car froze up on the side of the road it was trailered to my buddies place where he thought it may have been brakes but after removing the drive shaft he found that all wheels spun freely. He then pulled the drain plug on the transfer case where more metal shavings then oil came out.
We have a new/used transfer case installed now and spins a lot nicer by hand
Now just to get it to start
Old 02-02-15, 09:49 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Salim
There is no spark. I am not sure what to do to get the immobilizer to re-recognize the keys. I just went through a lot last year to get the ecu to register the keys. It required me to go to a lock smith some 180 miles away. At least then the car ran with the valet key then. I wouldn't think that unplugging the computer for any amount of time would wipe out the memory.
Old 02-02-15, 10:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MovieStar
My rx300 has about 153000. I had a gut feeling about buying this car just because what I was told and what I was seeing wasn't adding up. But I figured anything could be fixed LOL. (it can be but the cost is the other factor)
After buying the car I found the u-joints were bad so I had those replaced and then I noticed there was an oil leak coming out of the tail of the transfer case. I replaced that seal and thought the leak had stopped ( it had not) I am not a fan of this transfer case because from my research you are supposed to put in .90 liters of fluid. That much fluid doesn't fill to a certain location and you can't get a digit into the spot to measure (like a differential on the old cars) So one really knows how much is in the case.
When the car froze up on the side of the road it was trailered to my buddies place where he thought it may have been brakes but after removing the drive shaft he found that all wheels spun freely. He then pulled the drain plug on the transfer case where more metal shavings then oil came out.
We have a new/used transfer case installed now and spins a lot nicer by hand
Now just to get it to start
Oh, so lack of lubrication. I do wish it held more than 1 quart of gear oil.

Originally Posted by MovieStar
There is no spark. I am not sure what to do to get the immobilizer to re-recognize the keys. I just went through a lot last year to get the ecu to register the keys. It required me to go to a lock smith some 180 miles away. At least then the car ran with the valet key then. I wouldn't think that unplugging the computer for any amount of time would wipe out the memory.
When you put the key in the ignition, does the security light turn off?

Strangely enough, I disconnected battery for 15 minutes one time and the ECU forgot my valet key. It will no longer start the car, but my two other master keys work fine. I haven't bothered to re-program the valet key, but I will eventually.

Last edited by hypervish; 02-02-15 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added my own experience with ecu forgetting key
Old 02-02-15, 01:32 PM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Strangely enough, I disconnected battery for 15 minutes one time and the ECU forgot my valet key. It will no longer start the car, but my two other master keys work fine. I haven't bothered to re-program the valet key, but I will eventually.
No the security light stays on for all three keys. the software TS still shows that it has 3 keys registered but when I try to check the anti-theft deterrent it says that it's not available.
Old 02-09-15, 08:07 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Had Ecu Reflashed. Keys are recognized by computer I am getting 4 codes, (3 of which were there before the flash) p0748 p0768 p0778 and now p2716 not sure which way to look now.... still no spark, Is there such a thing that tells you where all the ground wires are located in the engine compartment? I have seen while searching on occasion someone will post some pics but I have no idea how many there are and where they are located. The guy who has been doing the brunt of the work is confident that all is back correctly but since the rx300 ran and drove into the garage, it is hard for me to believe that something major is wrong.

Last edited by MovieStar; 02-09-15 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-09-15, 11:01 AM
salimshah

I would suggest that instead of working blindly, ask the mechanic to trace back the primary side of the coil.

It may turn out to be crank/cam position sensor wire or even if the mechanic forgot to put the magnet ring on the crank shaft.

At this stage the problem has to be electromechanical. Just my guess.

Salim
Old 02-28-15, 11:55 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

I would suggest that instead of working blindly, ask the mechanic to trace back the primary side of the coil.

It may turn out to be crank/cam position sensor wire or even if the mechanic forgot to put the magnet ring on the crank shaft.

At this stage the problem has to be electromechanical. Just my guess.

Salim
Thanks Salim
I just got back from vacation on Monday, while I was gone I told my friend what you had said. Instead of testing he went out and purchased a new crank sensor which was not the problem. I informed him I could not afford for him to just start replacing parts LOL. After I sent him some diags for testing we talked again (not sure how may times we had the conversation ) about a ground wire not being connected. I told him again where to check with detail and a short time later he called with the news my car was running What a huge weight off my mind! I just brought up some more ATF to top off the tranny, took it for a ride and it now shifts improperly. Shifts really hard going into second and slips like crazy into 3rd sometimes like it isn't even in gear. I am not sure if there was damage from the transfer case going or if something else has been not assembled right. Alo now getting codes 300 303 and 305. been researching for the last 2 hours and not coming up with anything solid
Old 03-01-15, 06:49 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the EXACT same problem after my engine swap. It's a ground.

Search my user name for my posts. It will walk u right through all the grounds.

Clean them all.
Old 03-02-15, 05:11 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimsRX300

Clean them all.
Thanks for the info! I will be having those checked next. I know of the 3 ground wires on the cruise control stud (that was the group that would not allow the car to spark) I saw one on the driver side fender as well as the one under the battery tray. I wish I would have been there on removal to have made note of. With the importance of the grounds I wish there would have been a sticky..... Maybe a project when I find them all and get pictures LOL
Old 03-04-15, 10:30 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimsRX300

Clean them all.
You were Spot on with this. It was the grounds. I'll be heading up in a few hours to bring the baby home. I can then put the grocery getter. (My mom's van) back to rest for while LOL
Old 03-04-15, 01:28 PM
salimshah

Please post all the ground points. This information would help members.

Salim

Quick Reply: 2003 rx300 overhaul won't start