RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

how will I know that the mechanic actually replaced timing belt and water pump?

Old 01-30-15, 09:00 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how will I know that the mechanic actually replaced timing belt and water pump?

it's time for my RX300 to get the timing belt replaced for the 2nd time. during the first replacement, the Lexus dealer didn't recommend water pump replacement(not sure why), so it wasn't done.

this time, I'm having both the timing belt, drive belt, and water pump all replaced at the same time. The local Toyota dealership service department quoted me $650 for all three. I also have their 10% off coupon, so, it should be just around $585.(plus tax and other misc fees)

Not that I don't trust the mechanics at a Toyota dealership, but how will I know that the mechanic actually replaced timing belt and water pump? The timing belt is inside it's own cover, so I have no way off seeing it, unless I stand their for hours to watch him/her perform the job.

Is the water pump visible from top or bottom of the car?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-15, 09:57 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

So if the waterpump did not die inbetween, your dealer recommendation was correct.

This time around I would suggest add 3 more items ,,, tensioner, tensioner idler and idler. The idlers are lubed for life and for me it is about 100k.

I would recommend only OEM or OEM manufacturer after-market.

All the items are under the cover and you can't see them once the service is complete. So you cant mark them before service and visually verify they were replaced.

You can ask for old parts back, but then again if it is a busy shop you never know if the parts they hand you back are from your vehicle.

Salim
Old 01-31-15, 08:55 AM
99rx300541
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't trust them enough to do that then don't take it there.
Old 01-31-15, 09:00 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would always ask for old parts.
Old 01-31-15, 09:58 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

put an old cardboard box in your trunk and request the old parts through the service manager and assigned tech if known. Techs typically have no problem , its one less trip to the dumpster for them.
Old 01-31-15, 12:14 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by 99rx300541
If you don't trust them enough to do that then don't take it there.
Awesome advice from a new member. Welcome to CL. Parts is just one aspect. The other is did they do the job right? I got into DIY was that I exactly know how the job was done.

Salim
Old 01-31-15, 12:17 PM
salimshah

I forgot to add that you should seriously consider changing cam seals and front main crankshaft seal at 200k.

Salim
Old 01-31-15, 04:05 PM
99rx300541
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a mechanic and just did the timing belt water pump on our re to us rx300. It's a pain in the *** to do the water pump part of it. But it being a Toyota dealer they should replace anything that is asked to be replaced. If they don't then they are liable for it if the part breaks or starts leaking.
Old 02-02-15, 04:31 PM
sarah

Originally Posted by salimshah
So if the waterpump did not die inbetween, your dealer recommendation was correct.

This time around I would suggest add 3 more items ,,, tensioner, tensioner idler and idler. The idlers are lubed for life and for me it is about 100k.

I would recommend only OEM or OEM manufacturer after-market.

All the items are under the cover and you can't see them once the service is complete. So you cant mark them before service and visually verify they were replaced.

You can ask for old parts back, but then again if it is a busy shop you never know if the parts they hand you back are from your vehicle.

Salim
I had everything done today. When I dropped it off, I asked them to check the other items you mentioned.(tensioner, tensioner idler and idler, and cam & crankshaft seals) I went home and the Toyota tech called me and said they all looked good. The only thing "off" on my RX300 was a slighly cracked drive belt.

So I ended up paying $690 for (1) timing belt, (2) water pump, (3) coolant flush, (4) drive belt, (5) steering pump fluid flush, (6) brake fluid flush. That's actually a great price, considering that both of my nearest Lexus dealers quoted me $1572 and $1490 for the exact same jobs. (of course, I would have had a free loaner car if I took it to the Lexus dealers... plus they have free Haggen-Daz ice cream bars at the customer lounge... whereas the Toyota dealer had nothing.. just a free ride back home)

On my way home, I had the tires rotated/balanced at the Costco, saving another $30 or so. ($30 if done at Toyota, $49 if at Lexus, $20 at tire stores) Yes, I know I'm a cheapskate.
Old 02-02-15, 08:16 PM
salimshah

I would say you are money wise.

Choosing what part to replace and which to skip, is like taking a chance. On my RX I skipped the water-pump at 90k and I did the same on SC400. 2 weeks ago at 125k miles the SC water pump started leaking.

I hope the parts you chose to skip. last you till the next scheduled TB.

I am not trying to defend dealerships, but to be fair to them, one should ask for cost breakdown .. parts and labor.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 02-02-15 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 08:31 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

As far as choosing what parts to skip and what to replace etc.; I hope that my tb and wp dont decide to die on my one day while driving down the freeway because as I mentioned before about the tb; there is no sticker on the tb cover so its impossible to determine if it was replaced at 90K or not as suggested. Same with the water pump, etc. dont know if those were ever done or not because the dealer i got the car from i dont think had the service history. I have to go back to the dealer today to have some items corrected and i will see if they can look into the service history of this one to see if those things were done and just nor marked, etc.Mine btw has about 131,500+ miles on it so far.
Old 02-03-15, 10:05 AM
salimshah

Based on what I have seen (with all its limitations), the timing belt seldom stretches or brakes. It is something in the drive train that causes the belt to skip or shred apart.

Just my $0.02,

Salim
Old 02-04-15, 02:03 PM
sarah

Originally Posted by salimshah
Based on what I have seen (with all its limitations), the timing belt seldom stretches or brakes. It is something in the drive train that causes the belt to skip or shred apart.

Just my $0.02,

Salim

I also leased an Acura that I returned a couple of years ago. I remember the owner's
manual said to replace the timing belt every 6 years regardless of mileage.
A friend told me his Honda minivan also has the same time-based replacement
recommendation for timing belts. (Honda is Acura )

Since I was only leasing it for 2 years, I didn't have to worry about that. (although I drove it
way too far and ended up paying almost $3,000 in excess mileage beyond the 30,000
allowed for the 2-year lease )

What is Lexus or Toyota's recommendation on replacing timing belt on cars not driven much?
My mother has a RX330 that she only drives about 1000 miles a year. It currently has a little
only 8000 miles after 7 years.(purchased new) Should she have it replaced just to be on
the safe side? She only drives it to get groceries and to mahjong/poker games once or twice
a week. The inside of the RX330 looks like it just came out of the dealer's showroom.

As long as I'm asking, I also own a Toyota that has a timing CHAIN and it just went over
90,000 miles. It is still under Toyota's factory extended warranty. Does timing CHAIN ever
need replacing?

Thanks!

Last edited by sarah; 02-04-15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-04-15, 03:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sarah
I also leased an Acura that I returned a couple of years ago. I remember the owner's
manual said to replace the timing belt every 6 years regardless of mileage.
A friend told me his Honda minivan also has the same time-based replacement
recommendation for timing belts. (Honda is Acura )

Since I was only leasing it for 2 years, I didn't have to worry about that. (although I drove it
way too far and ended up paying almost $3,000 in excess mileage beyond the 30,000
allowed for the 2-year lease )

What is Lexus or Toyota's recommendation on replacing timing belt on cars not driven much?
My mother has a RX330 that she only drives about 1000 miles a year. It currently has a little
only 8000 miles after 7 years.(purchased new) Should she have it replaced just to be on
the safe side? She only drives it to get groceries and to mahjong/poker games once or twice
a week. The inside of the RX330 looks like it just came out of the dealer's showroom.

As long as I'm asking, I also own a Toyota that has a timing CHAIN and it just went over
90,000 miles. It is still under Toyota's factory extended warranty. Does timing CHAIN ever
need replacing?

Thanks!
Technically yes, she should have the timing belt changed. It should be replaced every 6 years or every 90,000 miles, whichever comes FIRST.

And, if she ever wants to sell it, contact me!

Timing chains usually don't need to be changed, and are good for the life of the car. There are exceptions here and there, but I wouldn't worry about it.