RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 transmission stops while driving

Old 01-30-15, 06:25 PM
solankeej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 transmission stops while driving

While driving today, heard a knock kind of sound, and car just locked up manage pull to side.
engine revs fine, stop/start just fine, but does not drive or reverse, even in neutral car cannot be pushed.

I did have the P0330 code, which took to get checked out when this problems occurred.

Seem like trans is gone - any thoughts

Thanks
Jay
Old 01-30-15, 06:33 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the club Jay.

The engine idles fine, huh? What year is your RX? There are a couple great threads on here about problems with the planetary gear set in the early transmissions. But really, it could be anything.

Did you check fluid level? What color is the fluid?

Just thinking off the top of my head. I'm sure someone will chime in on this issue
Old 01-30-15, 10:09 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

You can temporarily clear ECU codes by disconnecting the battery + terminal for about 20 mins.

Normally (in an abnormal condition) RX gets into limp mode by disabling high gears. Your case is certainly out of norm.

I would start by checking that the brakes are not causing the wheel(s) to lock.

So how does the gear shifter feel. Normal or abnormal. The links from the shifter to the transmission can be loose. Also does the shifter indicator in the instrument panel match the lever position.

2KHarrier has already given good advice on checking the fluid level, color and smell.

Please share if you have AWD or FWD and some history and recent work done on the vehicle.

Once the vehicle is disabled, you may have to have it towed to a shop and they can do the diagnosis for you. Keep us posted and we can be your support.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
9918939 (02-19-18)
Old 01-31-15, 08:57 AM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The code is for bank2 knock sensor. This code will cause drivability issues and shifting problems however it's not the cause of your problem. It sounds to me something let go in the trans or driveline. Have it towed and inspected.
Old 02-02-15, 04:03 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by solankeej
While driving today, heard a knock kind of sound, and car just locked up manage pull to side.
engine revs fine, stop/start just fine, but does not drive or reverse, even in neutral car cannot be pushed.

I did have the P0330 code, which took to get checked out when this problems occurred.

Seem like trans is gone - any thoughts

Thanks
Jay
what you are describing happened to me about a month ago, my problem was the transfer case froze up on my rx300 awd.. We disconnected the drive shaft and found both rear wheels spun freely as well as the front. the final clue was when we pulled the drain plug and more shavings then oil same out
Old 02-09-15, 06:32 AM
solankeej
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I will tow car back now

did you overhaul the tranny, because I got quoted that computer need replacement and tranny overhaul is needed

nothing mentioned about the transfer lockup from the repair shop, now I am doubting this diagnostics by shop

Jay,
Old 02-09-15, 10:23 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I will tow car back now

did you overhaul the tranny, because I got quoted that computer need replacement and tranny overhaul is needed

nothing mentioned about the transfer lockup from the repair shop, now I am doubting this diagnostics by shop

Jay,
To be honest we didn't pull any codes, My buddy diagnosed the problem before I could get up to help. I wish I would have been there for the whole things so I could have taken pics.... probably would have made the whole thing putting back together easier. He pulled the drive shaft out and both the front spun freely and the rear spun freely he pulled the plug on the transfer case and when more shavings then oil came out I just purchased a transfer case from a local junk yard. Still have yet to get it back on the road.. I leave for vacation in a couple of days so that project for me will be on the back burner.
Old 02-19-15, 10:03 AM
Ironman22
Driver School Candidate

Did this ever get fixed or did theproblem ever show its self? I have very close to the same issue. It didn't happen while I was driving but its in my driveway and won't go forward or backwards and I can't push it in neutral. The engine sounds like its bogged down when I rev it in drive or reverse. I know its going in gear I hear it and it slightly moves. I even jacked the car up with the engine off and was able to turn the wheels by hand. However, when I turn the engine on while its still jacked up (I know dangerous) I can't turn the wheels anymore. Mine is a FWD but I read somewhere it could be the brake booster any thoughts?
Old 03-27-15, 11:26 AM
solankeej
Driver School Candidate

I have since disconnected drive shaft from front of Transfer case to rear diff
rear wheels move. I have drained the case fluid but have not remove case yet
Old 03-27-15, 03:19 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
The code is for bank2 knock sensor. This code will cause drivability issues and shifting problems however it's not the cause of your problem. It sounds to me something let go in the trans or driveline. Have it towed and inspected.
i agree here. Something definitely is not right for sure. To me as well it sounds like something either in the trans itself or within the drive line going to the front and or rear axles may have slipped out of alignment so to speak or something else along those lines.
Old 05-04-15, 10:27 AM
solankeej
Driver School Candidate

Default RX300 transfer case removal

Still unable get off the transfer case, it seem I would have to remove tranny, tow bolts I cant get to. one behind the transfer case (mounting support) and the other in front of same mounting backet

I had to remove manifold as well for better leverage to remove case bolts from bottom of chasse. I am ready to get rebuilt tranny anyways, running out of patience

Any help, please advise
Old 05-05-15, 07:56 PM
solankeej
Driver School Candidate

Well I finally tried again today and got out the mounting nut behind the transfer case - remove the engine mounting support as well... - yay !!

manage to get case to slide out but cant get it off it seem stuck - weird

Any thoughts - should I remove the driver size axle as well?
Old 05-12-15, 04:20 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Well I finally tried again today and got out the mounting nut behind the transfer case - remove the engine mounting support as well... - yay !!

manage to get case to slide out but cant get it off it seem stuck - weird

Any thoughts - should I remove the driver size axle as well?
According to the manual, in order to remove the transfer case you need to pull engine, tranny, and transfer case. I read somewhere on this forum that you didn't need to but after having it out I see know way of doing that.
Old 06-28-15, 09:27 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

This post is of exactly no value to the thread - other than to post that the pictures (like above) cost many hundreds of dollars for the quality available to nearly anyone that uses a phone.

I worked in the Marketing Department of a fortune 100 company and it included the folks that generated service manuals for our components. We'd hire a photographer and often a studio and frequently didn't get photographs as useful as the above.

I recently purchased a Chilton manual for my roadster - and most of the photographs (greyscale) paled in comparison.

Good luck with your project; and I look forward to seeing more from you.