RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Should Spark Plug be replaced at 106,000mile on 2001 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-15, 09:55 AM
cha41i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Spark Plug be replaced at 106,000mile on 2001 RX300

It will cost around $400+ to replace those 6 plugs. So far, the car run smoothly no hick-up or mis-fire. Car start right up with in one crank of key turning. no bang noise like lawn mover. These plug set is an original that come with the car. But my mechanic recommend me to change it as a 100,000 mile maintenance. How do I know it time to replace those plug? Thank
Old 01-30-15, 10:19 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Recommended interval is 110k.

You can wait till you have a fail and then only replace the one that fails or replace them as part of recommended maintenance.

Check the DIY and shop around for better price but make sure you install recommended plugs Denso or NGKs. Dont bother with anything else, unless you have done your research.

Salim
Old 01-30-15, 11:42 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I waited until one of my coil packs in the back went bad, and then had the plugs changed at the same time. This was at around 130,000 miles, and the spark plugs looks fine.
Old 01-30-15, 12:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

My plugs looked good at 160k miles. Not saying I recommend waiting that long, but I recall reading somewhere these are supposed to be good for 200k miles.
Old 01-31-15, 01:02 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
My plugs looked good at 160k miles. Not saying I recommend waiting that long, but I recall reading somewhere these are supposed to be good for 200k miles.
Right. Denso presented a paper to the SAE showing the results of their successful effort to develop an iridium plug which would go 200k miles without any drop-off in performance in a passenger car. These are the fine tip plugs which are factory equipment in the RX's. They also make a larger tip plug which does not last nearly as long. However, not a good idea to leave plugs in that long because the threads could seize and do major damage when removing them. I like to pull them at 120k or so, inspect and re-install after applying anti-seize. I just pulled a set of NGK fine tipped iridium's from my niece's Acura TSX with 120k miles. I looked at the tips under magnification and they looked perfect...hard to distinguish new from used. Gap was perfect. For the vast majority of car owners, these plugs are good for the life of the car.

Last edited by artbuc; 01-31-15 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-31-15, 07:01 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
I like to pull them at 120k or so, inspect and re-install after applying anti-seize.
fwiw,

Per advice of a an NGK engineer i correspond with on another forum, DO NOT use anti-seize on NGK plugs. They use chromium plating to prevent plugs from freezing into the head.
Denso is suspected to use the same chromium plating.

Anti-seize will also change the tightening torque..without enough care you can over-torque and strip the threads.
Old 01-31-15, 07:41 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Good luck getting a torque wrench on some of the spark plugs.

Salim
Old 01-31-15, 07:48 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
fwiw,

Per advice of a an NGK engineer i correspond with on another forum, DO NOT use anti-seize on NGK plugs. They use chromium plating to prevent plugs from freezing into the head.
Denso is suspected to use the same chromium plating.

Anti-seize will also change the tightening torque..without enough care you can over-torque and strip the threads.
The install instructions right on the NGK box say to apply anti-seize.
Old 01-31-15, 07:55 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

The install instructions right on the NGK box say to apply anti-seize.
got a pic? i've got 2 boxes of NGK iridiums here, no where on the box says to apply anti-seize nor off NGK's USA FAQ page.
Old 01-31-15, 07:58 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
Good luck getting a torque wrench on some of the spark plugs.

Salim
Its easy when you do it the FSM way of removing the intake manifold and using an extension.

Id buy a round of beers if somone can figure out how, using the forum reach around manifold method
Old 01-31-15, 09:57 AM
artbuc
Instructor

got a pic? i've got 2 boxes of NGK iridiums here, no where on the box says to apply anti-seize nor off NGK's USA FAQ page.
They were the laser iridiums #6994. The instructions also showed different torque angles for plugs with tapers vs plugs with gaskets.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-31-15 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Moderation
Old 01-31-15, 10:28 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Yeah right, I saved the boxes for evidence.They were the laser iridiums. The instructions also showed different torque angles for plugs with tapers vs plugs with gaskets. Do you want me to attach my amazon order receipt as proof of purchase?
If you bought them legit or stole them is your business.

Just saying you probably "think" you saw instructions for anti-seize usage.
They are no where to be found on my new boxes of iridiums.

READ #1 on the attached NGK pdf link

NGK wouldn't spend the extra time, money and process to chromium plate the plugs..then tell customers to use anti-seize when it alters factory recommended torque specs.

source: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf

Please Dont push the other person buttons. Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-31-15 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Moderation
Old 01-31-15, 11:50 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Just saying you probably "think" you saw instructions for anti-seize usage. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf
I have been working on cars a long time and am well aware of the on-going debate re the use of anti-seize on plugs. That is why the label instructions jumped out at me. Maybe they were old stock boxes, who knows? But do not insinuate I am posting something that isn't true.

Guys: Please remain civil in public forum. I dont want to sit an wordsmith each note.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-31-15 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Moderation
Old 02-12-15, 09:24 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you bought them legit or stole them is your business.

Just saying you probably "think" you saw instructions for anti-seize usage.
They are no where to be found on my new boxes of iridiums.

READ #1 on the attached NGK pdf link

NGK wouldn't spend the extra time, money and process to chromium plate the plugs..then tell customers to use anti-seize when it alters factory recommended torque specs.

source: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf

Please Dont push the other person buttons. Salim
Salamat for the link! Found this thread while researching wether to get Denso or NGK plugs for my 02 RX
Old 02-12-15, 03:46 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Enz
Salamat for the link! Found this thread while researching wether to get Denso or NGK plugs for my 02 RX
for OEM longevity get the NGK 4589 or OEM Denso 3297 Both have an iridium center electrode and platinum plated ground strap.
The NGK 3764 would also be a good candidate for 100k intervals with a slightly smaller iridium center electrode and standard nickel ground electrode. (saves you $3 per set of 6 if you're cheap )

Quick Reply: Should Spark Plug be replaced at 106,000mile on 2001 RX300