Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2001 RX300 VSC and CEL light

Old 01-29-15, 01:24 PM   #1
sherm210
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default 2001 RX300 VSC and CEL light

I have a 2001 RX300 with about 190,000 miles on it. The other day the VSC and Check Engine lights both came on (I think at the same time). I took it to the mechanic and he pulled up a code alluding to the catalytic converter. He said since MN doesn't have emission laws, it isn't something I needed to fix immediately, if at all. Otherwise it was a $500 job. Being 15 years old, I'm not inclined to put a bunch of money into it. He reset it and it was off for a day or two before it came back on.

Does this seem like an accurate assessment from the mechanic? Is there something I need to do?

Some further background: it gets about 18 MPH/Goes through oil a little faster than usual/Sometimes when I start it, black or gray smoke comes out of the exhaust for a about 15 seconds/some rattling coming from the engine
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
sherm210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 08:05 PM   #2
Wht95scort
Driver

It will cause poor gas mileage, burn up the ozone and start to cause damage to your O2 sensors. It seems like you got your money's worth out of the car may want to trade it in before that transmission goes out.
Wht95scort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 08:21 PM   #3
hypervish
Lexus Champion

lexusvishal

Welcome to Club Lexus!

What was the CEL code?
Old 01-29-15, 08:22 PM   #4
hypervish
Lexus Champion

lexusvishal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht95scort View Post
It will cause poor gas mileage, burn up the ozone and start to cause damage to your O2 sensors. It seems like you got your money's worth out of the car may want to trade it in before that transmission goes out.
Who said anything about the transmission going out?
Old 01-30-15, 10:23 AM   #5
Wht95scort
Driver

Common issue with the transmission failing at higher milage. Not saying all but more than none. I see about 3 a month come in. If the car can't move your lucky to get what it's worth in scrap.
Old 01-30-15, 11:22 PM   #6
salimshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht95scort View Post
Common issue with the transmission failing at higher milage. Not saying all but more than none. I see about 3 a month come in. If the car can't move your lucky to get what it's worth in scrap.
Do you have a shop? Are you a mechanic? Certified? If so great. We can all benefit from your skills. We welcome all points of view. If you want to start a thread on transmission woes, please start one.

Back to OP's question. CEL and ABS. I would suggest a quick read of our sticky 'having problems, start here' thread.

For meaningful response, you have to post the actual code. Auto shops do a free code reading. Sometimes a sensor goes bad and some times one has to diagnose the actual problem.

Salim
salimshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM   #7
Wht95scort
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimshah View Post
Do you have a shop? Are you a mechanic? Certified? If so great. We can all benefit from your skills. We welcome all points of view. If you want to start a thread on transmission woes, please start one Salim
Lexus master tech. I think I did give the op good advice.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM