RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Shocks/strut recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 10:27 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks/strut recommendation

Hey guys going to try and keep it short and sweet, my 02 lexus has 176k miles on the original shocks....I'm starting to notice body roll, a bit of nose dive...another thing is that the steering feels numb, I know it's not a sports car but I usually am constantly having to correcting the path my Rx is going in and when I do correct it I feel like my steering wheel is not connected to the wheel's, in other words it takes about a 1 1/2 inches left or right to correct the car, the car has never had a 4 wheel alignment in the past 5 years I would say and from what I know it still has original ball joints, tie rods, bushings, ect. Please put your input in, I would really appreciate it -anthony
Old 01-28-15, 10:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You need to get under their with a pry-bar and go to town. Once you address any worn parts, then get an alignment.
Old 01-28-15, 10:43 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm sure it needs struts by now. I would replace the stabilizer links as well. There are threads on here that discuss the replacement of struts. Lexmex did an awesome write up on replacing struts, which I used extensivly when I replaced mine last summer.
Before you do struts, have the suspension looked at to determine what else may need replacement. It's easier to do tie rod ends when the strut and tire are not in the way...

Then you can accomplish a 4 wheel alignment.

It'll feel like a new car again. I promise...
Old 01-28-15, 01:32 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Thanks guys going in this weekend to get Iet checked I appreciate the feedback! Just got to try and figure out how to fix the "vibration" issue
Old 01-28-15, 02:08 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Might want to take the car to be looked at under..
These IS tend to have bushing problem that's why FIGS makes all source
of bushings and ball joints etc.... for these car..
The vibration might be worn shocks or even motor mounts can play a roll on the vibration..
I had a 02 IS300 and I had the same problem..it ended up being the motor mounts and tranny mounts where causing the problem. I did the work and problem was fixed..
Good Luck..
Old 01-29-15, 07:33 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Ok guys got the car looked at this morning and the mechanic said my bushings are shot, ball joints are shot, mostly all the components down there are worn he said the tie rods are alright but if I replace all the other stuff I might as well get it over with, I've hit alot of bumps and have never gotten the car a alignment so he said it really needs one, shocks are definitely worn with a noticeable amount of body roll, I wanted to know if you guys recommend a certain type of shock and if there are any discounts or specials going on. Also I wanted to know if I should replace the strut mounts and if I do what brand do I get since I heard a lot about other brand causing noises, I've included a few pictures below of some parts I found online and would like yalls opinion on whether they're parts I can trust or just stay away from I'm a little short on cash but don't want to cheap out so much, thank you all again!
Old 01-29-15, 07:36 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Old 01-29-15, 08:02 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I used aftermarket parts when I did mine last summer. It rides fine. The only thing I would go OEM on are the Strut Mounts. Too many of the aftermarket units are of poor quality or they squeak after install,

Old 01-29-15, 10:50 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

There's no way you'd catch me with those cheap aftermarket parts from China on my suspension. Not worth the risk!

If you want aftermarket parts, look on RockAuto for Raybestos Professional for ball joints/misc., Dorman for control arms and Deeza for stabilizer links.
Old 01-29-15, 10:50 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

use some penetrant spray on the rear swaybar links before attempting to remove them. IMO theres no point to order new ones unless you tore a boot. You'll laugh at how thin the rear swaybar is on the RX.

FWIW, i had approximately the same amount of mileage and similar driving symptoms.
I refreshed with new KYB GR-2/Exel G struts, top hats and rear sway links (because of seized fasteners).
Old 01-29-15, 10:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
use some penetrant spray on the rear swaybar links before attempting to remove them. IMO theres no point to order new ones unless you tore a boot. You'll laugh at how thin the rear swaybar is on the RX.

FWIW, i had approximately the same amount of mileage and similar driving symptoms.
I refreshed with new KYB GR-2/Exel G struts, top hats and rear sway links (because of seized fasteners).
Noise is the primary complaint for sway bar links.

No matter how thin the swaybar is, it still has an effect. There is a thicker aftermarket one available from I believe Whiteline.
Old 01-29-15, 11:16 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Noise is the primary complaint for sway bar links.

No matter how thin the swaybar is, it still has an effect. There is a thicker aftermarket one available from I believe Whiteline.
Yes, noise is the biggest complaint about swaybar links. Usually its due to no lube in the grease boot or mechanical separation.

Regarding how thin the swaybar was to point out how little stress the rear links would endure.
If the rear sway is removed, you can deflect it with your arms stretched. Its very possible the rear links can last the entire ownership of the RX.
Old 01-29-15, 11:37 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Thanks everyone! Will check and see how much rock auto will cost thank you for all the inputs! I'll update you guys as soon as I can! Thanks