RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 02:09 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX Vibration Problem

Hello I got a 2002 rx300 with 175k miles, when idling it vibrates and in drive it's worse....when I come to a complete stop the car downshifts and the whole car starts vibrating, it stops about 40% when in neutral but any other gears is just terrible. It feels like a old 96 Honda civic/accord 4 banger and I can't stand it, I don't know if my engine mounts are crap or my transmission is having the issues. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-28-15, 05:28 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for the codes.
Old 01-28-15, 06:08 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

What is your rpm at idle?

Check the engine/transmission mounts.
Old 01-28-15, 07:14 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

I don't have a CEL, and where would these mounts be located? This vibration is driving me up the wall! Thank you for all the replys I appreciate it!
Old 01-28-15, 07:36 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wonder if the Idle Air control valve is dirty and causing a rough idle. But the other thing that many feel as vibration is when the flex pipe on the exhaust under the engine cracks and causes noise and vibration.
Old 01-28-15, 07:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
I don't have a CEL, and where would these mounts be located? This vibration is driving me up the wall! Thank you for all the replys I appreciate it!
Like I asked earlier, what's your rpm at idle? Start with the basics first.

You can see the location of the mounts here:

Old 01-28-15, 09:21 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Lol sorry forgot to add that it's 750 to 800 runs good on the highway, just when I stop or I'm just at idle...
Old 01-28-15, 04:27 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Lol sorry forgot to add that it's 750 to 800 runs good on the highway, just when I stop or I'm just at idle...
Hello AnthonyMtz. I had a similar issue you're experiencing and I would recommend the following:

1.) Cleaning out the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner (and no other cleaner!!!!) and change the air filter if you haven't done so already
2.) If that doesn't help, I would then change the plugs and use Denso Iridium Platinum plugs (what my local Lexus dealer recommended)
3.) If you want to take it a step further and spend a bit more, you can also change out the ignition coils while changing the plugs (if you do go in the direction of changing the coils, I highly recommend using the OEM coils, which are also Denso)
4.) In addition, clean out the throttle body & the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) with throttle body cleaner.....mine was totally black with carbon (Nasty)
5.) One last thing, pour a bottle of Redline down your tank just before a fill up.

In my situation, cleaning out the MAF sensor, changing the plugs & air filter, cleaning out the throttle body & IACV and using the Redline took care of my vibration issues. Granted, it's a lot of work but not too expensive (unless you spend on the ignition coils). I didn't want to spend more than I had to by changing out the coils. I was gonna do that as a last resort if all else didn't work.

I hope that helps
Old 01-28-15, 05:38 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Thank you, I will try to order all the stuff I need tonight and try to get things started by next week, I really appreciate all your guy's help, my next option is to order the engine mounts and the one for the transmission as well, i will check back in with yall, again thank you!
Old 01-28-15, 08:03 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Thank you, I will try to order all the stuff I need tonight and try to get things started by next week, I really appreciate all your guy's help, my next option is to order the engine mounts and the one for the transmission as well, i will check back in with yall, again thank you!
Yes, let us know how things work out. Good luck
Old 01-28-15, 08:48 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I would suspect the only bad mount is the dogbone mount, I would follow the procedure for cleaning the IACV listed in the beginning of this forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html

Last edited by thomas1; 01-28-15 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 07:21 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Ok guys, was looking up the motor mounts and came across this, do yall think this is a good price and should I trust these parts?
Old 01-29-15, 10:46 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

No, absolutely not.

OEM parts only especially for engine and transmission mounts. Those aftermarket mounts will give you more vibration than you have right now. And, many of them fail within' a couple thousand miles.

Did you check the old mounts first? Do not go throwing parts at it.
Old 01-29-15, 10:48 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

My feeling the mounts are not going to solve the vibration issue. The Dogbone mount is the one that wears the most. Vibration can come from exhaust, as I mentioned or a very poor idle. I would tackle the IACV valve cleaning first, and go from there. One other thing does the check engine light come on before you actually start the car.? It should light with all warning lamps before you actually start the engine. If it is burned out you would not get a indication of fault.
Old 01-29-15, 11:40 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Ok, thanks all, I haven't had a chance to look at them but I will Saturday and go from there, trying not to dish too much cause I still have to get shocks and my timing belt replaced...and now probably new engine mounts

Quick Reply: RX Vibration Problem