RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX300 Battery Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 06:56 PM
jjbrahma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 RX300 Battery Cable Replacement

Hello All,

I have a 2002 RX300 which I purchased last January (2014). In April I went to start the car and nothing happened; well the lights came on, the radio and a/c came on and all of the instrument panel lights came on but, when I turned the key to start, nothing...not even a click. Fortunately for me I have a great Lexus Dealer in Dallas who sent out a Roadside rescue person. He replaced the battery and everything was fine until this morning. This morning I turned the key and as before everything lit up but when I turned the key to start the vehicle all I got was several clicks. The original battery that went out in Jan 2014 was dated Jan 2014 and I noticed corrosion under the plastic cable cover; I informed the technician and he just said it doesn't matter since it's probably only an inch or two down and he sprayed something on it.

Now, when I as a kid in the 1960s and 70s, I used to work in a gas station (a real one with lifts, tire changers, et cetera) and I use to go on service calls all the time for dead batteries. I learned that any amount of corrosion will prevent the alternator from recharging the battery properly. So, I am kicking myself right now for not having replaced the cable sooner. However Lexus wants between $35 and $50 for a cable I can probably get at PepBoys or any other parts house for around $12.00. So what I would like to know is how long is the positive battery cable on the 2002 RX300 and are there any issues which I should be on the look out for, considering the computerized situation of the vehicles made these days. While I'm asking, how long is the negative cable too.

On a side note: One thing I did learn from the Lexus Service Technician who came out is that, according to him, Lexus batteries are made by Interstate Batteries. I personally believe Interstate Batteries to about the best batteries around.

One last thing; does anyone know how or where I can obtain copy of the Service Manual for the Lexus 2002 RX300? I did download the Service Manual for the 2003 RX 300 from the Lexus Owners Club site hoping that it will be of some use.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.
Old 01-26-15, 09:04 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Use a soft wire brush (cu or brass bristles) and clean out all the corrosion.

Positive terminal:
Are you left with substantial lead and copper on the terminal and the post? Most likely yes. Proceed by applying a thin layer of grease on exposed metal. Leave the inside of the clamp (terminal clean) and wipe the post clean too (you can use the soft brush on it too). Apply a thicker layer to the bottom (the side you can not see) and fasten the terminal. Take a dab of grease and smear all over the post and make sure you cover all exposed metal. Snap on the terminal cover and you are done.

Negative terminal:
Normally there is no corrosion on it. You can still grease the exposed metal lightly. Do not smear too much on top as there is no cover.

Additional:
You can buy those soft rings (look life felt) for each post. Although I have never used them.

I would not go buy new wires and making a good terminal and connections is a bit hard. If you are handy with large soldering iron or have access to clamping/crimping tools you can make a new cable. So if my current cable is shot, I would get Lexus/Toyota cables.

Salim
Old 01-27-15, 12:44 PM
jjbrahma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Use a soft wire brush (cu or brass bristles) and clean out all the corrosion.

Positive terminal:
Are you left with substantial lead and copper on the terminal and the post? Most likely yes. Proceed by applying a thin layer of grease on exposed metal. Leave the inside of the clamp (terminal clean) and wipe the post clean too (you can use the soft brush on it too). Apply a thicker layer to the bottom (the side you can not see) and fasten the terminal. Take a dab of grease and smear all over the post and make sure you cover all exposed metal. Snap on the terminal cover and you are done.

Negative terminal:
Normally there is no corrosion on it. You can still grease the exposed metal lightly. Do not smear too much on top as there is no cover.

Additional:
You can buy those soft rings (look life felt) for each post. Although I have never used them.

I would not go buy new wires and making a good terminal and connections is a bit hard. If you are handy with large soldering iron or have access to clamping/crimping tools you can make a new cable. So if my current cable is shot, I would get Lexus/Toyota cables.

Salim
Thank you Salim. I really appreciate your very rapid response. I am not sure that I do have enough cable but will check soon. I just can't believe that the technician was not the least bit concerned about the corrosion. As per your suggestion, I do in fact have access to a heavy duty soldering gun and crimping tools but, that is something I was going to use as a very last resort. I made myself a very nice set of extremely heavy duty jumper cables that way, back in the 70s and I still have them - they are about 45' in length so as to allow me to pull behind a car or truck and still have enough cabling to reach the front and jump it off.

The reason I was thinking of Pep-Boys or some other parts house is because copper is copper and depending upon the gauge I was just looking at trying to save money over the cost of a dealer supplied part.

Well now this situation may be settled - after I check the cable and see if I have enough spare to cut off and reconnect; do you have any suggestions as to one of those portable battery jumpers? There seems to be a lot on the market and all have about the same reviews - good and bad. I just don't like being stuck without a running vehicle (of course no one does). There are so many type with varying amps, I am just at a lose as to which to look for, that may be best for my RX300.

Also, I have been reading a lot of reviews on the Lexus batteries draining for odd reasons; is it really true that the key fob needs to be kept away a certain distance from the vehicle or it can cause the battery to drain slowly? This just doesn't make any sense but with computerized vehicles there is no telling. I also added a GPS tracking device into my OBD port, for my insurance company (USAA) and I am wondering if maybe it is causing a drain. I really don't want to get rid of my GPS tracker since it is really cool, free, gets me a discount on my insurance and if my car is ever stolen, I can find it immediately via the Internet.

Thank you Again Salim.
Old 01-29-15, 11:04 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

is your cable degraded or your positive terminal? You should just need to replace the terminal which is about $12-15 from any Lexus/toyota parts counter. No crimping required.