RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX300 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 03:43 AM
jnovak01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ECU is not something you have to worry about.
When you changed oil pumps did you prime the one you put on your engine?
I replaced an oil pump gasket on a Camry many moons ago and one of the other engineers I worked with, who was very much into cars, told me to prime the pump. You do this by placing vaseline in between the gears then assembling the oil pump onto the engine.
When I did this on my Camry it worked and I had the car for 80K miles after the oil gasket job.
Maybe you don't have to do this on the V6 engines. Perhaps it may be more precautionary. However you put too much work into this thing to be foiled by starting that engine up for the first time after reassembly to find out the oil pump doesn't work.
Ask around and be sure before you continue. If it were me I would prime it.
Joe
Old 02-17-15, 08:02 PM
daltongd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the engine in this weekend and it started right up first thing. Engine purrs like a kitten, sounds really nice. I ended up replacing all the suspension components while I was at it so it needs an alignment first thing so I have not driven it yet, just ran it several times. It took 2 1/2 hours to put it in with all the jacking etcera and about 4 hours later I had everything hooked up and ready to start.

Afterwards while hooking stuff up I started looking at my A/C condenser and it is all tore up. There is an area that has direct access to the wind and the fins in those areas are all screwed up. As far as I know the AC was working just fine so not sure whether to leave well enough alone or change it out. I still have to charge the AC unit so need to decide before I do that.

I have to go on travel for 10 days so when I get back I will try to attach a bunch more pictures.
Old 02-19-15, 09:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by daltongd
I put the engine in this weekend and it started right up first thing. Engine purrs like a kitten, sounds really nice. I ended up replacing all the suspension components while I was at it so it needs an alignment first thing so I have not driven it yet, just ran it several times. It took 2 1/2 hours to put it in with all the jacking etcera and about 4 hours later I had everything hooked up and ready to start.

Afterwards while hooking stuff up I started looking at my A/C condenser and it is all tore up. There is an area that has direct access to the wind and the fins in those areas are all screwed up. As far as I know the AC was working just fine so not sure whether to leave well enough alone or change it out. I still have to charge the AC unit so need to decide before I do that.

I have to go on travel for 10 days so when I get back I will try to attach a bunch more pictures.
Thanks, looking forward to more pics. have a good safe trip.
Old 02-19-15, 07:15 PM
oldusedone
Driver School Candidate

Default engine price

Looking to replace the engine in my rx300 also, what do you see as a good price? When I say I, I actually mean have someone else. No way in six hours or six days I could finish that job.
Maybe I'll order one from Sewall online parts, they have a deal at $13090.14 for a new one. But there is 10% off so how could I go wrong and I'll bet I could get them to knock of the 14 cents if I bargain real tough.

thanks.

Last edited by oldusedone; 02-19-15 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 08:36 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldusedone
Looking to replace the engine in my rx300 also, what do you see as a good price? When I say I, I actually mean have someone else. No way in six hours or six days I could finish that job.
Maybe I'll order one from Sewall online parts, they have a deal at $13090.14 for a new one. But there is 10% off so how could I go wrong and I'll bet I could get them to knock of the 14 cents if I bargain real tough.

thanks.
13k for a new engine! No thanks! I would look for a nice used rx330 that has the 5 speed better mpg and a tad more power that's just too much for a car that's 12, 13 ever 14 years old.
Old 02-20-15, 05:13 AM
oldusedone
Driver School Candidate

Default Is this engine from awd or fwd

Do you think there is a way to know ahead of time if the engine mounts on the rx330 would be the same as the rx300? I noticed there was some fancy work to make replacement fit on the mounts daltongd had. I'm thinking his was an AWD and the replacement was from a FWD? Or am I wrong about that, do some mounts in the first gen change even with the same drive type?

Like the idea of the newer model engine but since I'm not going to be starting my mechanical training with a heart transplant, whoever ends up doing it will need to agree it will not be a problem. Maybe I'll ask Daltongd if he is interested, could be he has a new calling, engine replacements. Although I suspect he does something like that already, given the process he has outlined here. I could ship the car and engine to him for less than the cost of one from Sewall or any dealer for that matter.

thanks again and anyone have an idea why the low oil never went on?

Paul

oh and sorry lexus114 I got you mixed up with daltongd.

Last edited by oldusedone; 02-20-15 at 05:22 AM. Reason: fine tuning
Old 02-20-15, 09:56 AM
jnovak01
Driver School Candidate

Great Job!!
Congratulations.

U DA MAN!
Old 03-28-15, 05:32 PM
daltongd
Driver School Candidate

Well you will never believe how this project all the sudden went bad. Engine was running great so I took it on a couple of test drives and what a difference, handling was great, engine ran great and I thought I was done with this one. I did an inspection under the car after the 3rd test drive and noticed an oil leak. Not supper bad but after all I had been through I wanted it leak tight. As you recall I had to change the oil pump so I had to take the oil pans off in order to change that out. The oil leak was at the rear of the engine and it looked like the rear portion of the oil pan had a small leak.

I took the oil pan off with the engine in the car and cleaned everything up and re-installed both oil pans once again and went for a test drive and it leaked again.

So I pulled the engine again (can't believe I had to do it again) and took off the #1 and #2 oil pans and pulled the rear main seal. Changed out the seal and then resealed the rear main plate and installed the 2 oil pans again. I also did the cam seals and both the valve cover gaskets just because. Just got back from a test drive and it still leaks, same place.

I am at a total loss here. I have no idea where the leak can be coming from. Any ideas? I have been talking to the local Toyota dealership mechanics and according to them I am doing ever thing right. It took me a week to do that repair and I really do not want to do it again. I may just drive it with the leak and see if it gets worse.
Old 03-28-15, 08:22 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by daltongd

I am at a total loss here. I have no idea where the leak can be coming from. Any ideas? I have been talking to the local Toyota dealership mechanics and according to them I am doing ever thing right. It took me a week to do that repair and I really do not want to do it again. I may just drive it with the leak and see if it gets worse.

Try cleaning all the oil you can know of with foamy engine cleaner and put in some uv dye with your oil. It should point you in the right direction with a blacklight.
Old 03-29-15, 11:46 AM
daltongd
Driver School Candidate

I know about where it is coming from but there is no way to tell unless you pull the engine. I have done this 3 times now and I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I attached some pics to show where the leaks is coming from and also made a sketch of how you are suppose to apply the RTV per the manual.

Right now the only thing I can think of is the oil pan has some kind of a crack which is highly unlikely. Or maybe the rear main seal I installed is leaking which is also highly unlikely.
Attached Thumbnails 2001 RX300 Engine Swap-img_4767.jpg   2001 RX300 Engine Swap-img_4769.jpg   2001 RX300 Engine Swap-img_4802.jpg   2001 RX300 Engine Swap-img_4805.jpg   2001 RX300 Engine Swap-rtv-apply.jpg  

Old 03-29-15, 06:25 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like the rear main seal. when you pulled and replaced the rear main seal, why could you not clearly tell if it had been leaking there?
Old 03-29-15, 10:51 PM
daltongd
Driver School Candidate

After pulling the engine from the tranny and after removing the flex plate you can see the main seal. After doing that there was no evidence of a leak from the seal but I replaced it anyway. I was hoping it might have been coming from the main seal plate and redid it with new RTV so that should be good.

Your question is how do I know it is not the main seal, and I would say because the leak is not coming down the middle. If the leak was coming from the main seal it should be coming right down the middle where there is a little drain hole.
Old 03-30-15, 05:57 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

also use a straight edge to be sure the pan is straight and sits flat.
Old 03-31-15, 08:56 AM
BrothaSit
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure it's oil? Looks like used trans fluid to me. Check your axles and see if your axles are oiled up. If they are, then its your transaxle seals.
Old 04-04-15, 08:09 PM
jnovak01
Driver School Candidate

See the pics below I posted. it is from my manual. it gives very specific instructions on the path the sealant needs to take. See if this helps. Good Luck

Joe

Quick Reply: 2001 RX300 Engine Swap