RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 11:17 AM
kornpeef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAXsteel its not that hard of a fix. you can gain access to that from underneath. remove the lower front engine cover. go to toyota dealership and get a tube of FIPG (form in place gasket) aka black death. place a bead around the plate and install. wait 15-20 min for gasket to form them replace coolant and burp the sytem. about an hour job.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak-fipg.jpg  
Old 03-31-15, 06:43 PM
mroxas
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the radiator and lower hose... Radiator TYC 2272 core 27mm depth (the other type is 16mm). I have to buy o-ring.

Removing the condenser requires to discharge the refrigerant...

What is reasonable cost for a shop to discharged the refrigerant ?
Do I need to remove the left and right fender to access the screw for the front bumper ?

-Mike

1999 RX300 AWD
131Kmiles

Last edited by mroxas; 03-31-15 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-15, 07:43 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by mroxas
I bought the radiator and lower hose... Radiator TYC 2272 core 27mm depth (the other type is 16mm). I have to buy o-ring.

Removing the condenser requires to discharge the refrigerant...

What is reasonable cost for a shop to discharged the refrigerant ?
Do I need to remove the left and right fender to access the screw for the front bumper ?

-Mike

1999 RX300 AWD
131Kmiles
That is a ball of wax.

One is required to have the refrigerant recovered (and recycled). Please ask a auto A/C shop as dryer may have to be replaced before evacuation and refill of refrigerant. A good shop will measure refrigerant and oil that is removed and then fill it back up .. so use the same shop.

Salim
Old 03-31-15, 09:57 PM
mroxas
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
That is a ball of wax.

One is required to have the refrigerant recovered (and recycled). Please ask a auto A/C shop as dryer may have to be replaced before evacuation and refill of refrigerant. A good shop will measure refrigerant and oil that is removed and then fill it back up .. so use the same shop.

Salim
Hi Salim,

I was looking on the diagram but I could not see the dryer. (I google, and mentioned 3 configuration, that is, dryer, accumulator, and cartridge). Looks like the ac condenser has the cartridge (drive side).

I will look for ac shop.

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-31-15, 10:50 PM
salimshah

Hi Salim,

I was looking on the diagram but I could not see the dryer. (I google, and mentioned 3 configuration, that is, dryer, accumulator, and cartridge). Looks like the ac condenser has the cartridge (drive side).

I will look for ac shop.

Thanks, Mike
I have not worked on the AC on RX. Lexus usually has a tube on the side of the condenser. [condenser and drier are one piece]

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-31-15 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-03-15, 05:00 PM
mroxas
Rookie

I have found a shop that discharge/vacuum refrigerant. (remove compressor oil ?), and they will put it back after I replaced the radiator. Yes they measure how much that gets out. Thanks to the advice of Salim.

I have now removed the bumper, condenser, and radiator. and will continue tomorrow AM.

ECT. Should I replaced the ECT (Coolant Temp Sensor) ? 1999 RX300 AWD 131K - plan to use these for another 10yrs . Cost $106 available immediately at Toyota dealer parts nearby. No time to order online - need to put these back tomorrow. What is the normal lifetime of these sensor ?

Xmission cooler line. I should have plan to replace the transmission cooler line (located just under the radiator. Easy access after removing the radiator. I will check with Toyota dealer. What is the part number ?

(Manual - did not indicate of the removal of the two cooler lines hose from the radiator - I should also buy transmission fluid - though very few gets out from these hose)

1999 RX300 AWD 131Kmiles.
1st owner bought these on July 1998 (not 1999) - Lexus Online have all the service record to 2008 (50K miles)
2nd owner - me. Aug 2008.
This basically will be 17 years on July 2015.

Radiator - Replacing now (1st time).
Transmission cooler line replaced on Dec 2008.
1st owner service record also indicates it was replaced.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak-img_3067-1-.jpg   Coolant Leak-img_3068-1-.jpg   Coolant Leak-img_3075-1-.jpg   Coolant Leak-img_3076-1-.jpg  
Old 04-03-15, 05:04 PM
mroxas
Rookie

add more photo.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak-img_3077-1-.jpg   Coolant Leak-img_3079-1-.jpg   Coolant Leak-img_3081-1-.jpg  
Old 04-03-15, 05:44 PM
salimshah

oil in the refrigerant is distributed (and mostly stays in the compressor). Remember to seal each breach in the ac-loop, as best you can to prevent moisture to get in .

I would only replace the items that look corroded or rusted. None of the items you listed need to be replaced but that is just me.

Salim
Old 04-03-15, 07:13 PM
mroxas
Rookie

Thanks Salim.

What fluid is flowing where the ECT is stick-in ? Coolant or transmission fluid.? I understand it is coolant but just beside it is a transmission cooler line (inlet or outlet...) I ask because I want to wet the ECT o-ring before sticking it back. want to make sure which fluid.

-Mike
Old 04-03-15, 09:19 PM
salimshah

ECT is coolant.

Salim
Old 04-20-15, 11:46 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found a shop that discharge/vacuum refrigerant. (remove compressor oil ?), and they will put it back after I replaced the radiator. Yes they measure how much that gets out. Thanks to the advice of Salim.

I have now removed the bumper, condenser, and radiator. and will continue tomorrow AM.

ECT. Should I replaced the ECT (Coolant Temp Sensor) ? 1999 RX300 AWD 131K - plan to use these for another 10yrs . Cost $106 available immediately at Toyota dealer parts nearby. No time to order online - need to put these back tomorrow. What is the normal lifetime of these sensor ?

Xmission cooler line. I should have plan to replace the transmission cooler line (located just under the radiator. Easy access after removing the radiator. I will check with Toyota dealer. What is the part number ?

(Manual - did not indicate of the removal of the two cooler lines hose from the radiator - I should also buy transmission fluid - though very few gets out from these hose)

1999 RX300 AWD 131Kmiles.
1st owner bought these on July 1998 (not 1999) - Lexus Online have all the service record to 2008 (50K miles)
2nd owner - me. Aug 2008.
This basically will be 17 years on July 2015.

Radiator - Replacing now (1st time).
Transmission cooler line replaced on Dec 2008.
1st owner service record also indicates it was replaced.
Is it hard to replace the radiator without removing the bumper? I checked my radiator was little leaks on the top right side.
Old 04-22-15, 08:31 PM
mroxas
Rookie

Originally Posted by gazi001
Is it hard to replace the radiator without removing the bumper? I checked my radiator was little leaks on the top right side.
I think you have to remove the bumper to get clearance for removing the condenser. Lower bolt on the condenser (liquid tube bolt) will be difficult to access without removing the bumper. see condenser photo.

Removing the bumper is not that difficult, there are only I think 5 bolts (1 each on far left and right, 3 on the middle - this is after you remove the screw from the left and right wheel fender. Mostly are kind of clips on front- just pull front bumper (front left - right) to separate the clips from bumper.

I consume more time under - removing/installing the hoses of the radiator.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak-condenser.png  
Old 04-22-15, 08:45 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I think you have to remove the bumper to get clearance for removing the condenser. Lower bolt on the condenser (liquid tube bolt) will be difficult to access without removing the bumper. see condenser photo.

Removing the bumper is not that difficult, there are only I think 5 bolts (1 each on far left and right, 3 on the middle - this is after you remove the screw from the left and right wheel fender. Mostly are kind of clips on front- just pull front bumper (front left - right) to separate the clips from bumper.

I consume more time under - removing/installing the hoses of the radiator.

-Mike
Thanks Mroxas. I have same situation like you. See the pictures. I saw the red coolant on the top right side of the radiator. But doesnot drop notice on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak-img_3641.jpg   Coolant Leak-img_3642.jpg  
Old 04-24-15, 01:09 PM
mroxas
Rookie

Originally Posted by gazi001
Thanks Mroxas. I have same situation like you. See the pictures. I saw the red coolant on the top right side of the radiator. But doesnot drop notice on the floor.
It is just a matter of time when it will become worst to my notice. I notice this in Dec, and becomes worst and to the point intolerable (maybe leaking 500ml every 20 miles...) to me and have to replaced it this month. Ready before summer comes.

I still use the old condenser and hoses, Parts that I replaced are only on the radiator, look-up at amazon

- Radiator TYC 2272 - again mine is 27mm thickness (other RX300 use 16mm). Bought at Amazon.
- Lower Radiator hose (not necessary to replaced, the old hose is still in great shape).
- Fan and assembly TYC 620920 - I replaced for peace of mind. You can still reuse the old fan assembly. Bought at Amazon.
- Toyota Red Coolant (for refill). Toyota dealer.
- Type IV Transmission Fluid (for refill). Toyota dealer.
- hose clamps of transmission fluid cooler line to radiator. this is because it is very rusted.

(my recommendation is to replaced the lower transmission cooler line if it is rusted. Part number is 3290748010)

Radiator will be of high pressure once it is hot - so make sure to put back all the radiator hose clamp properly.
(I learned a lesson when I forgot to place back the lower radiator hose - upper clamp (engine block) - luckily the hose disengage when I still checking leaks when I started the engine and have it for maybe 20mins idle running to get the coolant hot

Last edited by mroxas; 04-24-15 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 02:15 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

It is just a matter of time when it will become worst to my notice. I notice this in Dec, and becomes worst and to the point intolerable (maybe leaking 500ml every 20 miles...) to me and have to replaced it this month. Ready before summer comes.

I still use the old condenser and hoses, Parts that I replaced are only on the radiator, look-up at amazon

- Radiator TYC 2272 - again mine is 27mm thickness (other RX300 use 16mm). Bought at Amazon.
- Lower Radiator hose (not necessary to replaced, the old hose is still in great shape).
- Fan and assembly TYC 620920 - I replaced for peace of mind. You can still reuse the old fan assembly. Bought at Amazon.
- Toyota Red Coolant (for refill). Toyota dealer.
- Type IV Transmission Fluid (for refill). Toyota dealer.
- hose clamps of transmission fluid cooler line to radiator. this is because it is very rusted.

(my recommendation is to replaced the lower transmission cooler line if it is rusted. Part number is 3290748010)

Radiator will be of high pressure once it is hot - so make sure to put back all the radiator hose clamp properly.
(I learned a lesson when I forgot to place back the lower radiator hose - upper clamp (engine block) - luckily the hose disengage when I still checking leaks when I started the engine and have it for maybe 20mins idle running to get the coolant hot
Thanks for your tips.