RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

my poor 300

Old 01-08-15, 05:30 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Just looked at the DIY for the knock sensors and it is something that I definitely can not handle myself. I just do not have the tools and facilities to do it., Gonna have to leave that to the dealer's auto tech to do unless i just give the vehicle back and look for a different one elsewhere. I am going to go look at another 300 on a different lot this morning and see what the deal is.
Old 01-08-15, 01:05 PM
matts6887
Racer

Well thats it!; the 300 went back to the lot it came from and as far as i go that piece of ***** can end up at the bottom of the F#$##@ ocean for all i give a *****. Whoever had it before me DID NOT take very good care of it at all in terms of maintenance because if they had i would still have the 300. But nope!; they didnt! I was driving down the highway today headed to my destination when not only did the F%##$ check engine light come on AGAIN!; but then the oil light started to blink off and on and im like WTF!!!!. So I had to dump a bottle of oil in it just to get back to where I was going. Ive had it!, My patientance is DONE today in terms of trying to find one WITHOUT PROBLEMS!!!!. And on top of it now we have to wait 10 days to get the $ back from it. I am so frigging aggravated right now having to rent a vehicle its not even funny anymore(never was to begin with either!!!!)
Old 01-08-15, 05:13 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Maybe you should move into an LS???.... I'm loving mine

Finding a somewhat problem free 14 year old RX is going to be near impossible. I guess you'll just have to keep at it and be patient.

You were probably very smart to give that car back to the dealer. WIthout any history, who knows what was done/not done on it... We haven't even talked about Timing Belts yet......
Old 01-08-15, 06:47 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Maybe you should move into an LS???.... I'm loving mine

Finding a somewhat problem free 14 year old RX is going to be near impossible. I guess you'll just have to keep at it and be patient.

You were probably very smart to give that car back to the dealer. WIthout any history, who knows what was done/not done on it... We haven't even talked about Timing Belts yet......
Um as far as the LS goes one answer comes to mind.....NO!......I am very little a car person. I want the suv size etc because i feel safer in something bigger like that. Always have always will. As for the timing belt; I really dont give a _hit about that piece of _hit anymore. i swear that thing was the bane of my existence! Oil light coming on; check engine light coming on; defunct door locks, no master key; you name it!
Old 01-09-15, 06:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with that dealer/RX300. But you have to remember, these cars are old now. And, people don't usually get rid of their cars if they are running perfectly. So chances are every RX300 that you see will need some amount of work. Although, I agree that particular RX sounded like a nightmare.

Friendly reminder: I realize you are angry at the dealer, but please realize this is a family site, and it's not appropriate to curse in every post (or any post really). Please do not try to bypass the censor, it's there for a reason!
Old 01-09-15, 07:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with that dealer/RX300. But you have to remember, these cars are old now. And, people don't usually get rid of their cars if they are running perfectly. So chances are every RX300 that you see will need some amount of work. Although, I agree that particular RX sounded like a nightmare.

Friendly reminder: I realize you are angry at the dealer, but please realize this is a family site, and it's not appropriate to curse in every post (or any post really). Please do not try to bypass the censor, it's there for a reason!
Well; if you dont think so; think about how you would feel if you had to go through the same experience I have had over the past 3 days. I think I have somewhat of a right to vent considering all the crap Ive had to endure over the past 3 days. As far as it being a nightmare; that is a understatement if i ever heard one. Nightmare doesnt even begin to describe it.
Old 01-09-15, 09:14 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you thought of moving on to another brand? Maybe your experiences are a sign from the cosmos that Lexus isn't for you. Wrecks, bad cars, no cars, something to think about.
Old 01-09-15, 01:57 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Carver
Have you thought of moving on to another brand? Maybe your experiences are a sign from the cosmos that Lexus isn't for you. Wrecks, bad cars, no cars, something to think about.
Um.....in a word......no. Because we only have a very limited amount of funds to work with and because of that we are limited on what we can look for in terms of something well; something thats decent like this brand. I have looked at others and they are all just too much $. We have a very limited amount of $ to work with as the insurance co did not give us a very fair settlement which is no surprise but nothing i can do anything about; so we have to work with whats available and this is the only brand that will fit the bill so to speak.

I highly doubt its because Lexus isnt for me. Dont forget; that accident was NOT my fault!; it was the idiot who failed to yield right of way to me. It was his fault. If it hadnt been for that i would still be driving that one. So imo thats a mute point. And as far as the bad one from the other day goes; well the goofballs at the lot that it came from did not disclose that it had a check engine light that had come on; as well as the fact there was a blinking oil light; and that was NOT my fault either. That was their fault and i havent totally ruled out filing a complaint with the state on account of the fact that they are putting cars with problems that arent being disclosed; back on their lot as if nothing was ever wrong.
Old 01-10-15, 08:55 AM
matts6887
Racer

Going to look at another 300 on Monday. Now from what Ive been told; this one has no check engine lights on; tires are about 50% and thats about all I know so far. I am going to take it to have it inspected by a local expert auto chain to make sure there is nothing that could be a problem either right away or shortly down the road(hopefully; but how many times have i heard that one before and then there was the oh boy) But hopefully Im keeping my fingers crossed that the inspection will turn out positive. Of course just because the inspection does not turn up anything doesnt mean anything wont happen immediately or shortly down the road because it sure can. Especially given the age of the 300 model. But like i said im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best on this one. This one btw has 128,000 and some change miles on it. Hopefully I will get the positive thumbs up on it and it will become mine. I also looked at 2 yesterday that were black and tan; but; one of the black ones had several issues; for one the antenna was broken; and for another it has the touch screen nav system but that and the climate control buttons dont work properly. The other black one does not have a master key and has a broken antenna.so i think those 2 are out.
Old 01-10-15, 10:40 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
The other black one does not have a master key and has a broken antenna.so i think those 2 are out.
Seems to me that those are both fairly easily fixed items...
Old 01-10-15, 02:33 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Please make sure your mechanic connects OBDII and makes the readings. (S)He needs to make sure that the channels are ready .. this ensures that the codes have not been cleared recently. Keep in mind there are enough tricks and ways around to fool the OBDII.

I would also that buy one with at least 1 master key. If the seller has only one then you should make a duplicate master immediately.

Common problems are:
Exhaust leaks (flex coupling).
door lock actuators.
air-servos.

I am not going get in the discussion of engine gel and transmission. I would let a competent mechanic make a call on those and then I dont know if they would stand behind their evaluation.

Finding a pristine 10-15 yr old vehicle with low milage and low price will be hard. You will have to make compromises. Mine is '99 200K miles + with door dings and a bit worn driver seat. Would I exchange mine for '03 with 120k miles ,,, nah!. Unfortunately my vehicle is lot more precious to me than the generous ( if that exists) blue book value.

Salim
Old 01-11-15, 07:07 AM
matts6887
Racer

Salim; yes; I know about the connecting of the reader etc. I will make sure that they thoroughly go through top to bottom to make sure there are no present issues that need to be fixed immediately. Yea I know about the door lock motors too.lve learned about that one first hand. And yea you are right though its not easy at all to find a almost 15 year old 300 in pristine shape. They are all going to probably have something that may need minor or immediate attention; especially like I mentioned before given the age of the 300 model. Either way though like i said im keeping my fingers crossed on this one that it turns out positive on the inspection. I also too know about the unfortunate tricks that can be done to fool the computer and clear the codes.

Last edited by matts6887; 01-11-15 at 07:08 AM. Reason: editing