RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

my poor 300

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 01:17 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure about the radio reception there Salim; didnt have a chance to try it out as i only had a brief window of time in which to test drive it quickly and then go on about my way as i had other things i needed to take care of. But i will find out for sure. I looked at the car fax for this one; and the only thing I dont know is what was or was not done during a period of about 7 years from about 2007 to 2014; so I dont know what services were or were not performed maintenance wise. But nontheless; other than being black on the outside whch im not crazy about; it seems good to me. One thing i did notice is that the brakes are really touchy which tells me either the front or rear or both has had new pads and or rotors put in or turned to resurface them which from a safety standpoint is probably a good thing even though it seems overly touchy.
Old 12-27-14, 04:44 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked the service records at Lexus? Register here if you haven't already, you can get every service Lexus has done on the car. You'll need the VIN. https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 12-27-14, 06:14 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Carver
Have you checked the service records at Lexus? Register here if you haven't already, you can get every service Lexus has done on the car. You'll need the VIN. https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

No; i have not checked into that. But that is a good idea to do so. I will have to call the lot owner on Monday and get the vin number from him and check on the above site and see what it says. Thanks Carver.
Old 12-29-14, 08:10 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well; I just checked the service history; and there isnt much there for Arizona except for one service record from a local dealer. But that was way way back in 2003. After that; there is no service history from any lexus dealer. So it looks like the rest of the maintenance was done at independent shops. I wish there was a way to look up what was done at whichever independent shops it was done at. Does anyone know if there is such a way or if there is a site i can go to that might give me that info? Cause if i cant find it; Im not sure what was and what wasnt done. Which means i would have to have it inspected which i had planned on doing anyways.
Old 12-29-14, 10:10 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

That's unfortunate. A good 'Lexus citizen' can add outside services to the online record but obviously people don't. It's common when a timing belt is replaced to put a sticker in the engine compartment even for non-Lexus so maybe you'll luck out there.
Old 12-29-14, 01:24 PM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Try MyCarfax dot com for service records

You might try mycarfax.com for service records. It found a complete list of service done on my daughter's 2001 RX300 and none on my 2002 RX300. So, I guess it is hit or miss. The good news is that it brings up the independent shops services performed. Worth a try. I use it on my iphone to remind me of service that are due.
Old 12-29-14, 06:09 PM
matts6887
Racer

Yea; I did check on there and it pretty much had the same records as the lexus site did. It only showed what was done at a local Lexus dealer. So unfortunately that was not much help either. Bottom line here i guess is I will just have to pay to have it thoroughly inspected for leaks, and anything else that looks like it could be a problem.
Old 12-29-14, 08:11 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
Yea; I did check on there and it pretty much had the same records as the lexus site did. It only showed what was done at a local Lexus dealer. So unfortunately that was not much help either. Bottom line here i guess is I will just have to pay to have it thoroughly inspected for leaks, and anything else that looks like it could be a problem.
I have never used the service of inspection. If you dont mind, please share what items they check and what warranty they provide for the money they charge.

Salim
Old 12-30-14, 08:11 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
I have never used the service of inspection. If you dont mind, please share what items they check and what warranty they provide for the money they charge.

Salim
Well Salim; I can give you a good idea of what the local Lexus dealer did for my 2000 that got totaled out; It wasnt cheap!: it rang up at 165 but for that they do a 71 point inspection; brakes, tires, filters, all the usual area; check for leaks, and just pretty much go through it top to bottom; checking for anything that looks like it could be a problem either immediately or down the road so we can decide whether or not to proceed with buying the vehicle. From immediate very brief inspection; the only 2 things that could be a issue right off the bat for 2002 were the drivers power door lock motor(no surprise there given the age) and maybe the battery as it seemed a little slow to crank. But the battery is the easy part. Harder part is getting the door lock motor replaced. Other than that it seemed to be in pretty good shape.
Old 12-30-14, 01:07 PM
matts6887
Racer

Well; I was going for the black one; but apparently someone beat me to it and they offered the full amount the lot owner was asking which was 8,000. So now i gotta wait and see what they can find for me in terms of another 300. So long as it doesnt have a outrageous number of miles on it. I dont really want something with 200,000+ miles on it even though i would probably end up with that much for mileage in the end of ownership probably. I just dont want that as a starting point.
Old 12-30-14, 04:10 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Lotsa choices in that range...http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars...rice&curpage=1
Old 12-30-14, 07:04 PM
matts6887
Racer

Yes Carver; there are but you have to remember where i am located. It has to be in this metro area. It cant be out of state. That would be too difficult for us.
Old 12-30-14, 09:08 PM
maorsela
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing total. My '01 was hit with less damage in '11 and it was totaled. Poor thing only had 76k on it. On the bright side the insurance company gave me enough to buy my 'beautiful 05 (with a little help)

Hi Carver, still have those wheels? mine are in a bad shape, will you part them out? What make/model are they?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-14, 09:56 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maorsela
Hi Carver, still have those wheels? mine are in a bad shape, will you part them out? What make/model are they?

Thanks!
Wheels are happily residing on my '05. Thankfully, they weren't damaged in the wreck.

Old 12-30-14, 10:10 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Looks like the Audi store in Scottsdale has taken in a 300 with 107k miles; sounds good! Crystal white, my personal fav!

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars...x-az-250585663

Quick Reply: my poor 300