RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

my poor 300

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 07:46 AM
maorsela
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carver
Wheels are happily residing on my '05. Thankfully, they weren't damaged in the wreck.
Dang

Can you share the make/model of those rims/wheels?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-14, 06:27 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
Looks like the Audi store in Scottsdale has taken in a 300 with 107k miles; sounds good! Crystal white, my personal fav!

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars...x-az-250585663
Blah!; thanks bu no thanks Carver!; I cant stand white or black because they show even the slightest bit of dirt. Otherwise if the one at the Audi dealer was silver or tan/gold I would consider it. Especially during the blazingly hot summers we get here in the desert southwest. I would prefer something like silver exterior tan interior or something similar to that. But im gonna keep looking only it has it be very soon because i cant stay n the rental vehicle i have now forever as every day i have it racks up another days charge. I did find a silver 300 at a dealer thats about 30 kins from where i live that has approx 128,000 on the clock; but there was only one picture of it it of the exterior.I also found another one thats gray with almost 131,000 on the clock and its a 2000 at a dealer about 20 mins from here.

Last edited by matts6887; 12-31-14 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 05:46 PM
matts6887
Racer

Well folks; it looks like I may be bringing home a replacement rx300 tomorrow. So long as everything checks out ok during the inspection we have planned for tomorrow. We have a technician from a local auto repair chain coming to inspect it on the dealer's lot. And as long as everything else checks out ok other than what we already know which is there is only about 1/4 tread life left on all 4 tires; and the drivers power door lock motor does not work. But that one doesnt surprise me given the age. The one I may be bringing home is a silver/gray outside with a kinda tan inside. And its just the basic rx300 package which does not even include the auto dimming rear view mirror which to me is no real b big deal. I can have one ordered and have one installed through a dealer if i really want to spend the $ for it. This one by the way has a little under 131,000 miles on the clock which is not too bad for a 2000 thats going on 15 years old. If i do bring it home i will take a few pics and post them so you can tell me what you think.
Old 01-05-15, 10:03 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

hmmm. It could be that the auto dim function has failed ... I thought it was standard.

Salim
Old 01-06-15, 08:46 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
hmmm. It could be that the auto dim function has failed ... I thought it was standard.

Salim
Um....no Salim; like i said there is no auto dimming mirror at all; its just a standard rearview mirror which like i said is fine. No big deal if its just the basic, basic rx300 trim. Basic factory stereo, etc etc. And oh yes by the way the radio in this one works way way better than the one in the first one did. The radio in the first 300 was a POS. This one is much much better. Much clearer. I think i just need to get a new remote key fob for it as while i do have the keys from the totaled 300; the cut on those most likely will not fit the ignition of the 300 im looking at. It does not have the original keyless entry remote. Just the smaller glove box key. So we are probably gonna have to get a new one cut and made unless you know of a way to get the one from the old 300 to work which i doubt there is a way.
Old 01-06-15, 09:54 AM
salimshah

Lets wait for others to weigh in on autodim. As of now we have 2 ppl opinion ( I have been wrong many times too).

Since you asked here, (I hope we do not highjack the thread with key discussion) ,,, the blade has personalization (valet and standard cut), the electronics, and the rfid (smart key).

Make sure you get a Master key for the new vehicle ,,, you will need it as a pass to program other rfids (of a new key). You can move the electronics from any old key into the new key.

Buy new key blanks (purchase the right length)
Have the new key cut to match the personalization. [This and the previous can be done by Lexus dealer at one place with vin#... just make sure you ask for valet-or-standard key]
Follow hyper's instruction to program/register the new key [master key is needed]
transfer the electronics [from your old key or purchase on line] to the new key.
Program the electronics to the new vehicle [you will need the master key] ... steps listed by hyper.
note: the registration and programming steps can be combined as one step ... hyper is our expert on this.

Salim
Old 01-06-15, 12:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Surprisingly enough, the Auto-Dimming (aka Electrochromic) mirrors are part of the Premium Package (Code "PM"), which includes "Leather Trim Package, Driver's Seat Memory, Electrochromic Inside and Outside Mirrors, Programmable Garage Door Opener, and Interior Air Filter"

It sounds like the 2000 RX you are looking at has the "PZ" package, known as the Limited Package including "Leather Trim Package, Driver's Seat Memory, Programmable Garage Door Opener, and Interior Air Filter"

Only a $100 difference between the two packages, which explains why most RX have the auto-dimming mirrors, small price to pay. I would have thought they are stock too.
Old 01-06-15, 05:52 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
Surprisingly enough, the Auto-Dimming (aka Electrochromic) mirrors are part of the Premium Package (Code "PM"), which includes "Leather Trim Package, Driver's Seat Memory, Electrochromic Inside and Outside Mirrors, Programmable Garage Door Opener, and Interior Air Filter"

It sounds like the 2000 RX you are looking at has the "PZ" package, known as the Limited Package including "Leather Trim Package, Driver's Seat Memory, Programmable Garage Door Opener, and Interior Air Filter"

Only a $100 difference between the two packages, which explains why most RX have the auto-dimming mirrors, small price to pay. I would have thought they are stock too.
Well; its official; got another 300 to replace the one that got totaled. Will take pics and post them tomorrow. Yea; I would have thought the auto dim mirror would have been standard too; but I guess not "all" 300s have that mirror. This one is just a standard rear view mirror . So whoever had the 300 before me; I guess the original owner that bought it brand new decided they didnt really need it for whatever reason. As for the keys; Im not sure if we will have to pay a lexus dealer to get the master key and get it programmed(the one with the 3 buttons for keyless entry integrated into it; thats the one that did not come with this vehicle and is what i need because its a pain in the butt when you have yer hands full and cant open the door lol) unfortunately this one has 2 doors with defunct power door lock motors that need to be replaced. But on the bright side; the memory seat function does actually work on this one which sorta surprised me.

Last edited by matts6887; 01-06-15 at 05:59 PM. Reason: info
Old 01-06-15, 06:43 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well; its official; got another 300 to replace the one that got totaled. Will take pics and post them tomorrow. Yea; I would have thought the auto dim mirror would have been standard too; but I guess not "all" 300s have that mirror. This one is just a standard rear view mirror . So whoever had the 300 before me; I guess the original owner that bought it brand new decided they didnt really need it for whatever reason. As for the keys; Im not sure if we will have to pay a lexus dealer to get the master key and get it programmed(the one with the 3 buttons for keyless entry integrated into it; thats the one that did not come with this vehicle and is what i need because its a pain in the butt when you have yer hands full and cant open the door lol) unfortunately this one has 2 doors with defunct power door lock motors that need to be replaced. But on the bright side; the memory seat function does actually work on this one which sorta surprised me.
Better negotiate that into the vehicle price, because it's going to be expensive.
Old 01-06-15, 07:04 PM
salimshah

. snip
As for the keys; Im not sure if we will have to pay a lexus dealer to get the master key and get it programmed(the one with the 3 buttons for keyless entry integrated into it; thats the one that did not come with this vehicle
snip.
Please read the FAQ and having problems sticky threads.
Without master key, you can only make duplicates that can open locks but the imobilizer wil not allow the engine to run. The dealer can sell you a new ECU and give you a new master key (and possibly all lock-cylinders). Expensive solution.

Salim
Old 01-07-15, 08:27 AM
matts6887
Racer

Please read the FAQ and having problems sticky threads.
Without master key, you can only make duplicates that can open locks but the imobilizer wil not allow the engine to run. The dealer can sell you a new ECU and give you a new master key (and possibly all lock-cylinders). Expensive solution.

Salim
Well; there has to be a way around that as i really need and want the master with the 3 buttons on it. And if I have to get a new ecu off a place like ebay for a lot less then i will and just have that put in at a independent shop and then get the proper key. I know that still wont be cheap even off ebay but it will be less than the dealer. I know that for sure. Isnt there a way to match the chip thats in the valet key with another master key and get that key programmed so it will actually work without having to replace the whole ecu?
Old 01-07-15, 01:06 PM
salimshah

Well; there has to be a way around that as i really need and want the master with the 3 buttons on it. And if I have to get a new ecu off a place like ebay for a lot less then i will and just have that put in at a independent shop and then get the proper key. I know that still wont be cheap even off ebay but it will be less than the dealer. I know that for sure. Isnt there a way to match the chip thats in the valet key with another master key and get that key programmed so it will actually work without having to replace the whole ecu?
The 3button key would likely be a master key but its not a guarantee. Essentially, it is the magnetic flux from the slug in the key which matches the stored master_key_flux_signature in the ECU makes it a master key. You need the match before another key can be registered as acceptable key. A know valet key fails the test and thus a new key can not be programmed.

If you want to go that way, why not pull the ECU from your old ride instead of ebay route. Just a thought.

Salim
Old 01-07-15, 05:33 PM
matts6887
Racer

The 3button key would likely be a master key but its not a guarantee. Essentially, it is the magnetic flux from the slug in the key which matches the stored master_key_flux_signature in the ECU makes it a master key. You need the match before another key can be registered as acceptable key. A know valet key fails the test and thus a new key can not be programmed.

If you want to go that way, why not pull the ECU from your old ride instead of ebay route. Just a thought.

Salim
Well Salim; the problem with pulling the ecu from the totaled 300 is that I believe the old totaled 300 has already been hauled off to salvage by the other guy's insurance co. So if that is the case(I will probably try and call them tomorrow to see if its been hauled away already or not) then I am screwed because it will be too late. And yea i thought about trying to get the ecu from the totaled 300 but like i said it may have already been hauled away to a salvage yard in which case its game over as far as that goes.

On another note; i was driving the replacement 300 this morning; heading toward my first destination for the day driving down the highway when all the sudden the check engine light came on. And im like WTF!!!. So; i went back to the dealers lot the car came from; one of the owners there scanned it for the code and it read anti knock sensor. He cleared the sensor(which according to the state law here apparently is not legal so that was a no no but we arent gonna do anything with it; its not worth it). Once he cleared the sensor; I drove around a bunch more and that light had not come on again the whole time i was driving after the point it was cleared). But the big problem with that is; it could come back on at anytime; at which point; according to a well experienced local repair tech could run $1100 to replace one or both sensors because we dont know which one is bad so both would have to be replaced. My dad who has been helping with the replacement stuff; told me he talked to one of the owners and they may either agree to do the repairs or give us the money back for the vehicle. The problem with that is; I would be without a vehicle until we find a different one.

I swear this whole dealing with the insurance crap and having to fight with the other guys insurance; then finally getting a check for the previous 300s total loss; then searching for and finding another one is gonna make me NUTS!(actually its too late for that; Im already there). And this does not include the cost of getting the 2 door lock motors replaced and getting a replacement remote. If i had known this was gonna turn into something this crazy i would have said screw this and kept my rental vehicle until I know for sure I would be able to find something that would work without issues!
Old 01-07-15, 05:42 PM
salimshah

Check the DIY on knock sensor.

Insist on Toyota/Lexus sensor and harness. Dont change one and change both. The labor is significant factor and you dont want to go replace the second one in few months.

Your best friend is CL and the info here.

Salim
Old 01-08-15, 04:36 AM
matts6887
Racer

Check the DIY on knock sensor.

Insist on Toyota/Lexus sensor and harness. Dont change one and change both. The labor is significant factor and you dont want to go replace the second one in few months.

Your best friend is CL and the info here.

Salim
Well; the thing is I dont have the tools or facilities for a diy replacement; otherwise i would consider it.

Quick Reply: my poor 300