RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Roof rail fitting

Old 11-25-14, 06:48 AM
BobLad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rail fitting

Hello chaps - bought some roof rails/bars on ebay for my 2003 rx300. The bars slide into the channels in my cars roof easy enough, and they came with some bolts, but I think there must be something missing that the bolts screw into. I will try to post photos and perhaps somebody on here can help...
Roof rail fitting-image.jpg
Old 11-25-14, 06:51 AM
BobLad
Driver School Candidate

Roof rail fitting-image.jpg

And a pic of the roof...
Old 11-25-14, 04:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The crossbar in the first picture looks the same as my 1999. On mine the roof rails are recessed. A threaded oblong metal washer slides into them (from the very back or front) and the black star-shaped screw in your picture screws into this (this is how you attach the crossbar to the roof rail). I believe the rail/crossbar arrangement changed during the RX300 production run but I don't know when and I don't know if they were interchangeable. The attachment area of the crossbars look different in the two pictures (?)
Old 11-26-14, 05:02 AM
BobLad
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Keith, I think they look different because on one picture I put the star headed screw in its hole just to show where it goes. I think I will just have a look at some washers and bolts and rig something up that way. I had it converted to lpg recently and I am thinking of shoving the spare wheel wheel up there when we go on driving holidays.
Old 11-26-14, 07:21 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

As Keith stated the mechanism is simple. The threads are in a rectangular metal piece. The long rails (front to back on the side) Have a slotted U channel. As you turn the knobby screw, it creates a squeezing action and the slat binds to the rail. Washer may work but it will get a partial area of contact with the channel. The biggest issue will be getting the nut on to the screw (or screw on to the nut) as that will be 'blind' engagement.

I would say hunt for the two rectangular pieces on your rails, Next would be get them from a salvage yard. Depending where you are you can have them manufactured. I would suggest them manufactured with stainless steel. Ask the machinist to slightly depress the area where there are threads (needs to do it before cutting threads). This depression helps in the screw to center on to the threads. So as you try to thread blindly, gravity helps you center on to the threads. The rectangular pieces need to be slightly less in width of the channel so that they can slide from the front to the back. I would keep the length a minimum of 1.5 times the width and upto 2 times the width. You can make them longer, but that would prevent you from placing the slat near the front and the back edge.

Now back to your need. I would suggest getting a hitch mount at the back. You can find many standard adapters for the hitch to carry various stuff. I think you will run into serious weight limitation with the rack. Last I recall it was 50 kg evenly distributed weight .. 25kg on each side and 12.5kg in each quarter.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-26-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 04:51 PM
BobLad
Driver School Candidate

Wow - it really is true that Americans have a "can do" attitude, thank you very much for your help. I phoned the local lexus dealer and to be fair the lad did his best and after ten minutes said I could pop in one Saturday morning and they would try to rig something up, but he sounded utterly defeated by my enquiry, and I could hear that my phone call actually caused an argument between the staff there. I knew I would find the answer on this forum.
Old 11-26-14, 06:00 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

I have always had good experience with the local parts dept.

Back then ('99) Lexus and Toyota did their accessorizing in Gulf states, before arriving in US. I tired to look up the part number by browsing Sewel Lexus parts catalog, but was unable to find the right diagram. Wish you luck.

Salim