RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

incoming radio signal amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 09:01 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default incoming radio signal amplifier?

Is there anyone out there on the market that makes a inexpensive incoming am and fm incoming radio signal amplifier to boost the incoming signals so that stations are not as staticy etc? This is on a 2000 rx300.
Old 10-27-14, 09:18 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Matt:

Do you have access to another RX in your area or failing that another Lexus. How is their reception? This will help you determine an expected level or better still let you figure out if there is something wrong with your rig.

My money is on the antenna leads and then on the head unit. (radio input circuitry).

Your pursuit for a signal amplifier may not work here. The places it works is if the wire from the antenna to the headunit is long and you are trying to compensate for the loss.

The thing that is in the way is called signal to noise ratio. As you amplify the signal the noise also gets boosted. Good quality low signal amplifiers try to minimize the noise introduced by the amplifier and they have no control on the noise in the signal received in the AM bands. FM tends to go better. The front end of the radio receiver has a circuitry referred to as AGC (automatic gain control), that works as a signal booster.

If you are too far from the transmitter (50 miles or so) then we can think about boosting the signal, but if the stations are nearby, you need to focus on antenna, wires and headuint.

Salim
Old 10-27-14, 09:30 AM
matts6887
Racer

Yea; I am thinking its possibly something antenna related; and head unit related as well; the problem for me is trying to get to to the area of the head unit where the antenna connects to as I dont really have the tools, etc. to take all that front end dashboard stuff apart to get to it; and one of the local dealers here wants like 160 just for diagnosis! can you say ouch? I sure can! but the cutting in and out is driving me crazy while trying to drive and listen to this craziness. something tells me it might still be good to try and boost the incoming signals as that seem like it could be the main issue; but; how can i easily get to the antenna wires to check for a possible antenna cable problem going from the antenna to the head unit?
Old 10-27-14, 10:13 AM
salimshah

Gaining access to the head unit is very easy. Access to antenna mast is bit complicated. You can always get an antenna fro RadioShack and test out your head unit. To add on the booster you still need to access the antenna or the head unit.

Please search for head unit and antenna motor DIYs. If I or another member runs into the thread we will post.

Basic question is how far is the radio station that you are trying to tune to? Do you have a straight path to the transmitter?

Salim
Old 10-30-14, 09:34 AM
matts6887
Racer

Im not totally sure where the transmitters lay for the stations I listen to; but again; i still believe a antenna booster of some sort will definitely help. I cant afford to spend a ton of $ on it; nor do i want to; as Im not totally sure how long i will be keeping this vehicle for before I look for something newer and or possibly another brand. But yea; if you can find the thread for antenna stuff and point me towards it that would be great.
Old 10-30-14, 11:51 AM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just recently got a 2000 RX 300 ans that was the first thing I noticed, the radio reception sucks compaired to my other cars....
Old 10-31-14, 07:56 AM
matts6887
Racer

Anyone have any leads as to where I can get a hopefully inexpensive antenna signal booster? Any info on this would be great. Thanks
Old 10-31-14, 08:32 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

This should work : http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA...Amplifier.html

You will need to find out if you need an antenna adapter though, there are difference size connectors and I can't tell which size this one is. I'm sure Crutchfield will be able to help you out with that though.
Old 11-03-14, 08:08 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
This should work : http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA...Amplifier.html

You will need to find out if you need an antenna adapter though, there are difference size connectors and I can't tell which size this one is. I'm sure Crutchfield will be able to help you out with that though.
What about a combo one for both fm and am? Do they have one like that?
Old 11-03-14, 08:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
Gaining access to the head unit is very easy. Access to antenna mast is bit complicated. You can always get an antenna fro RadioShack and test out your head unit. To add on the booster you still need to access the antenna or the head unit.

Please search for head unit and antenna motor DIYs. If I or another member runs into the thread we will post.

Basic question is how far is the radio station that you are trying to tune to? Do you have a straight path to the transmitter?

Salim
Ive tried searching for antenna motor etc. but have not found the thread you are referring to. So; if you could help find it and point me to it; it would me much appreciated.
Old 11-03-14, 08:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matts6887
What about a combo one for both fm and am? Do they have one like that?
Not sure, you'd have to ask them.
Old 11-07-14, 08:28 AM
matts6887
Racer

Anymore ideas from anyone on what to do with this? The constant going in and out is driving me freaking crazy!. Also; can anyone find that antenna thread for me? I had the power antenna replaced before I drove the vehicle off the lot; however; it still continues to make like a crackling/poor reception type sound like it keeps changing from mono to stereo and back. Its as if there is a gremlin in the system somewhere.
Old 11-07-14, 04:46 PM
salimshah

Here is what google search found for me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tructions.html

When signal strength is low, mono/stereo switching happens.

You have yet to tell us how far is the transmitter is from where you are. Once again google the frequency you are tuning to.

Salim
Old 11-07-14, 05:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Are you looking for an Antenna Mast DIY?

If so, Salim posted one above, and here's another with pictures : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...enna-mast.html
Old 11-07-14, 06:22 PM
matts6887
Racer

Well; I have got to figure out why I keep getting mono/stereo sound instead of stereo all the time on FM and static on am stations as well. The mono/stereo switching is kinda what I meant by "muffled sound" like it was switching back and forth from a full stereo sound to muffled sound like its in mono only. I dont think its the antenna itself; but I am wondering about the antenna cable and or possibly the head unit. How can access the head unit to try and figure this out as its making me crazy. as far as how far the transmitters are I have no idea of that info. The stations themselves are located in various parts of the metro Phoenix area; but there is no way for me to give distance for them.

Last edited by matts6887; 11-07-14 at 06:39 PM. Reason: adding info

Quick Reply: incoming radio signal amplifier?