RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

incoming radio signal amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 06:36 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I can also tell indeed there is low signal strength due to the various mountains and hills etc in this area. This is the reason Ive been asking also about a signal amplifier. Other than crutchfield; can anyone give me a good site or place to look for one thats not outrageously expensive? Thanks Matt
Old 11-08-14, 12:04 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

There is a link in thread I found that has instructions to get to the motor.

Matt ... how about other vehicles ... your neighbors, colleagues or visitors. They may not drive RX but if it is the terrain then they should get bad reception. Try to narrow down the problem ... external or internal.

Salim
Old 11-08-14, 08:23 AM
matts6887
Racer

I believe it could partly be due to the terrain around here; BUT!; it also probably somewhat is not; because I was with my brother the other nite in a loaner vehicle he had and i turned one of the same stations that i normally listen to on; and there was no problem at all. So I am at a complete loss here. The only think I can think of is to get a inexpensive amplifier that will boost the signal. But I wonder if before i consider doing that i should try and get access to the antenna wire as i wonder if the cable itself going from the antenna to the head unit is partially bad somewhere?
Old 11-08-14, 08:26 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
There is a link in thread I found that has instructions to get to the motor.

Matt ... how about other vehicles ... your neighbors, colleagues or visitors. They may not drive RX but if it is the terrain then they should get bad reception. Try to narrow down the problem ... external or internal.

Salim
Yes Salim; but the thing is the motor is not the issue. Its the lousy signal/reception that is the big issue here. But is it still a good idea to get access to the motor area to check the antenna wire?
Old 11-08-14, 12:26 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by matts6887
Yes Salim; but the thing is the motor is not the issue. Its the lousy signal/reception that is the big issue here. But is it still a good idea to get access to the motor area to check the antenna wire?
Dont try to fix anything before gathering full data. You will be wasting money and time. IMHO you are annoyed by the reception (or lack there of) and are not pursuing in a logical fashion.

First figure out if the problem is external or not:
What is the reception quality in other RX tuning to the stations where you drive?
Cant find an RX, then how about other Lexus (assuming the reception would be equal)?
Cant find Lexus, then check other makes. There will be a difference but not night and day.
Cant find any car then use geography. 50 miles direct line of sight for FM.
If it is external then you have to try the antenna signal amplifier (take power to the circuit and hopefully connect it next to the mast).

If it is internal (your RX):

Start by checking antenna wire. One end is the mast (motor) and the other is at the back of the head unit. There is Ground (shield, body chassis). The ground connection at the motor end is important as it provides electrical mirror (you get twice the signal coming in).

You will have to trace the wire, connections. You can substitute an antenna (available at radio-shack) and eliminate/confirm the antenna problem.

Once that checks out then the last thing is to replace repair the head unit.

Hopefully you found the instructions to access the motor end and the head unit.

Salim
Old 11-13-14, 08:31 AM
matts6887
Racer

You said the access to the head unit is easy; but is there a link to instructions on how to get access to it without having to tear apart the whole dashboard assembly and other parts just to get to it? And yes I do need to check the antenna wire going from the antenna to the head unit as well as possible ground wire(s) etc.No I dont have another lexus to check with. But like i mentioned; I was in a loaner vehicle my brother was driving and had one of the same stations on and it seemed fine; so that leads me to believe its either a possible head unit issue; or antenna wire issue. I also want to be able to access the head unit to see what kind of connection adapters the antenna uses to connect to the head unit so i can possibly get a signal amp for it.

Last edited by matts6887; 11-13-14 at 08:35 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-13-14, 05:30 PM
salimshah

Matt:

search found this for me:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-display.html

Please read through the set of DIY sticky. You can find most of the answers in there.

Salim
Old 11-14-14, 08:35 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well; i see the pics and thanks for that link; however; What about all those wires in those couple pics? How do i know which one(s) are for the antenna? Thanks
Old 11-14-14, 08:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The wires for the antenna are plugged into the back of the head unit. There are two, one big, and one small. If I remember correctly, the tips of the antenna cable are blue.
Old 11-14-14, 05:56 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well; i see the pics and thanks for that link; however; What about all those wires in those couple pics? How do i know which one(s) are for the antenna? Thanks
I certainly dont mind hand-holding, but some where you have to decide what you can do with remote help and when you need to go to a mechanic or auto-electrician.

The antenna cable looks like coax cable. Little thinner. The connector is straight push in and pull out.

Salim
Old 11-14-14, 06:13 PM
matts6887
Racer

I certainly dont mind hand-holding, but some where you have to decide what you can do with remote help and when you need to go to a mechanic or auto-electrician.

The antenna cable looks like coax cable. Little thinner. The connector is straight push in and pull out.

Salim
I understand where you are coming from Salim; just that this would be the first time Ive "Dug" into stuff like this myself as the previous vehicles Ive had were both brand new from the start; so with that in mind i had most of the stuff done by dealers. But! I am not afraid to get my hands dirty so to speak; however; I; just like a lot of others out there dont always have the time etc; to do things right away. But that aside thanks for all the replies and assistance here. I probably wont have time to do it this weekend; but Im gonna try some time next week once i get home from being out to take off those simulated wood panels and take out the bolts etc to get the head unit out(hopefully without too much headache) and see what the deal is with the antenna cable. I do pretty much know what the antenna cable itself looks like; as ive seen pics of it; it is that black coax type cable with a push in type plug on the end of it whereas the other one is the power for the head unit. So once i dig into it i will hopefully be able to find something out.What is the easiest way to get those simulated panels off without scratching anything(if possible) maybe use a straight head screwdriver or something?

Last edited by matts6887; 11-14-14 at 06:15 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-14-14, 10:41 PM
salimshah

My understanding is that it is real wood veneer.

When it comes to panels, you need to have the tactile feel (which you develop doing the work) , that tells you not too apply too much force. I only use the flat screw driver to get the first panel off and for the rest I used my claws (fingers). I would suggest that you tape the screw driver end and exercise care. Also watch out that the back end of the screw driver that you use as leverage point does not damage the piece behind it.

Salim
Old 11-17-14, 08:14 AM
matts6887
Racer

My understanding is that it is real wood veneer.

When it comes to panels, you need to have the tactile feel (which you develop doing the work) , that tells you not too apply too much force. I only use the flat screw driver to get the first panel off and for the rest I used my claws (fingers). I would suggest that you tape the screw driver end and exercise care. Also watch out that the back end of the screw driver that you use as leverage point does not damage the piece behind it.

Salim
Thanks Salim; Will do. Im gonna try and dig into it today if I have time later after i get home.
Old 11-24-14, 08:42 AM
matts6887
Racer

What size socket will fit the bolts that hold the receiver part of the radio in place(the ones behind the wood trim piece/bezel)? Thanks
Old 11-24-14, 09:24 AM
salimshah

without verifying ..

you can practically take the whole Lexus apart with 10mm and a phillips screwdriver. Very unlikely, but it can be 12 mm.

Can you not feel the umbilical cords behind the unit?

Salim

Quick Reply: incoming radio signal amplifier?