RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

incoming radio signal amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 03:04 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts
Default I had no success correcting this

I have lots of static and electrical noise that to me sounds like a grounding issue. I have had no success at finding or correcting the issue.
Old 11-25-14, 08:35 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks. I have bought the amplifier off ebay but it hasnt gotten here yet so i wont be able to dig into it until I get it.
Old 11-29-14, 06:07 PM
matts6887
Racer

Well; I got the amplifier; put it in place; but now I am getting mostly static on am band with a static sound that increases as the engine speed(rpms) increases. On fm its hard to tell whether or not its actually working because the sound comes in a lot clearer than am but i will find out for sure tomorrow when i drive down the highway to my friends place. Now; How do i tell if i have a bad ground or loose ground possibly or something else causing the issue?
Old 11-30-14, 12:28 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

My post number 2, in this thread maybe worth reading again.

Salim
Old 11-30-14, 08:01 AM
matts6887
Racer

So; there ia a chance then i should start looking for a replacement head unit; of which i have seen at least one on ebay.. Which I will do. For right now i will have to put up with it until after next week as i am saving $ for a item Ive been wanting for over a year now since it came out and I will finally have the dough for it next week. But; after that I will start searching for a replacement head unit. Also; How do i figure out which wire(s) is/are the ground wire(s)? Thanks
Old 11-30-14, 08:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Please, don't throw parts at it.

I say this with respect, If you can't diagnose it properly, take it to a professional. It'll probably end up being cheaper than just throwing parts at it too.
Old 11-30-14, 08:42 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
Please, don't throw parts at it.

I say this with respect, If you can't diagnose it properly, take it to a professional. It'll probably end up being cheaper than just throwing parts at it too.
Well; the thing is; the dealer wants 160 just for diagnosis!. But there is a place down the street from me that wil do it for 35 bucks; so i may go that route.
Old 11-30-14, 10:10 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I certainly dont think it is a dealer only repair/diagnosis. That said, the fix/replacement may lead you back to the dealer and in this case once again I would say look at the used stuff.

The ground wire is the wire that is connected to the body/frame. You are getting a good deal for $35, but make sure that you are not dealing with auto-mechanic. Auto electric/electronic tech would be the place to go or better still an auto audio shop would be the best place to go ( I doubt if they will settle for $35, but you may get a school/college kid) out there who runs a business on the side.

No disrespect intended, but a good DIY person is who knows when to stop and go to a professional. If you have verified no disconnected or broken wires, I would say pay the $50 and get it diagnosed. Dealer price to diagnose is usually high but it all depends upon how eager you are for repairs.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but if the area you drive in does not have good reception, there is nothing you can do about it. Sat radio would be the only option and you will need to work on AUX-IN for your RX.

Salim
Old 12-01-14, 08:12 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well; i think I am just going to pay the 35 dollars. And yes that is what they charge for diagnosis. And no the store is not a auto electric place; its a actual car audio place that does aftermarket installs and the like. But again i will have to wait til at least friday to get it done because i have other financial items I want to take care of on thursday first and i want to make sure i have enough to take care of that. Thanks for all the help everyone. But I see no choice but at this point to seek professional assistance as Ive had enough of dealing with it myself at this point.

Originally Posted by salimshah
I certainly dont think it is a dealer only repair/diagnosis. That said, the fix/replacement may lead you back to the dealer and in this case once again I would say look at the used stuff.

The ground wire is the wire that is connected to the body/frame. You are getting a good deal for $35, but make sure that you are not dealing with auto-mechanic. Auto electric/electronic tech would be the place to go or better still an auto audio shop would be the best place to go ( I doubt if they will settle for $35, but you may get a school/college kid) out there who runs a business on the side.

No disrespect intended, but a good DIY person is who knows when to stop and go to a professional. If you have verified no disconnected or broken wires, I would say pay the $50 and get it diagnosed. Dealer price to diagnose is usually high but it all depends upon how eager you are for repairs.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but if the area you drive in does not have good reception, there is nothing you can do about it. Sat radio would be the only option and you will need to work on AUX-IN for your RX.

Also; when you say the ground wire is connected to the body/frame; where would i find this Salim? And how can i test it if possible to determine if it actually is bad and then how would i replace it?

Salim