RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

O2 and multiple Misfire help.. please!

Old 10-06-14, 03:10 PM
Gioperrone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 and multiple Misfire help.. please!

hello everyone,

this is my first post here seeing im new to the Lexus environment i recently purchased a 2003 RX300 Lexus with 137,302 Kilometers from an elderly woman selling it to buy a 2014 RX model.

loved the ride completely very comfortable and all.

got a check engine light 2 days later. i own a code reader so scanned it and got a P0171 code: bank 1 lean.

i then googled the error code. and multiple people said it could be a dirty or defective MAF, i went ahead cleaned it with brake cleaner and cleared the code.

all went super well till two days later, i got another check engine light along with VSC;

P0300 Multiple misfires detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire dectected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire dectected
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire dectected
And
P0134 Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1

and the have NOT seen code P0171 since i cleaned the MAF..

ive tried swapping Coilpacks with the Cyl. 2 4 6 and still misfire on same cyld. 1 3 5..

would the O2 sensor cause the misfire on the Cylinders 1 3 5?

thanks in advance for all help!
Old 10-06-14, 04:29 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Gioperrone
hello everyone,

this is my first post here seeing im new to the Lexus environment i recently purchased a 2003 RX300 Lexus with 137,302 Kilometers from an elderly woman selling it to buy a 2014 RX model.

got a check engine light 2 days later. i own a code reader so scanned it and got a P0171 code: bank 1 lean.

i then googled the error code. and multiple people said it could be a dirty or defective MAF, i went ahead cleaned it with brake cleaner and cleared the code.

all went super well till two days later, i got another check engine light along with VSC;

And

ive tried swapping Coilpacks with the Cyl. 2 4 6 and still misfire on same cyld. 1 3 5..

Yes it can. Very likely just need to pop in a new A/F sensor (OE/Denso only) and the other codes are ghosts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...el-sensor.html
Old 10-06-14, 05:56 PM
Gioperrone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07
Yes it can. Very likely just need to pop in a new A/F sensor (OE/Denso only) and the other codes are ghosts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...el-sensor.html

Ordered the new part I'll post back to see if it fixed it, thanks for the opinion
Old 10-09-14, 01:19 PM
Gioperrone
Driver School Candidate

Alright, so here's the follow up.

Changed MAF and still got multiple misfires on bank 1 cylinder (1 - 3 - 5).
And the O2 sensor (a/f) bank 1 sensor 1.

I then removed the o2 sensor and switched it around with the bank 2 sensor seeing they are both identical.

Cleared all codes.

Then I got my CEL on again, now my multiple misfire was on bank 2 cylinders (2-4-6) and o2 sensor bank 2.

Concluded the o2 sensor was defective. Ordered a new one and put it in and have been CEL free for two days now.

Hope this helps others who get the same issue
Old 10-19-14, 04:37 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Alright, so here's the follow up.

Changed MAF and still got multiple misfires on bank 1 cylinder (1 - 3 - 5).
And the O2 sensor (a/f) bank 1 sensor 1.

I then removed the o2 sensor and switched it around with the bank 2 sensor seeing they are both identical.

Cleared all codes.

Then I got my CEL on again, now my multiple misfire was on bank 2 cylinders (2-4-6) and o2 sensor bank 2.

Concluded the o2 sensor was defective. Ordered a new one and put it in and have been CEL free for two days now.

Hope this helps others who get the same issue
Good job and thanks for the follow up.
Old 11-24-14, 07:27 PM
LLader
Driver School Candidate

i have same problem and everyone is telling me that its my o2 sensor, so iwill replace it tomorrow and see
Old 12-02-14, 07:38 AM
Ted404
Driver School Candidate

I was having a similar problem and it was the variable timing solenoid. Replaced them both and all is well
Old 03-13-16, 08:26 AM
Quest9081
Driver School Candidate

hello everyone,

And

Oil control valve
Old 03-14-16, 02:18 AM
Gioperrone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quest9081
Oil control valve
It was a defective o2 sensor for my cyl 1,3,5 misfire
Old 05-29-16, 06:05 PM
hecsilvs
Driver School Candidate

Default faulty sensor and misfire

Hello everyone,

My rx 300 have been running with a faulty sensor bank 2 sensor 1 (error P1155) for quite some time now. Until this morning, i noticed that my CEL is blinking. When i put on the OBD II reader it throws additional codes P0300 P 0302 P0304 P0306-misfires in the cylinder.

Is it possible that I have the same problem. Would the replacement of new oxygen sensor fixes all the codes..

Thanks Everyone.
Old 05-30-16, 12:20 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by hecsilvs
Hello everyone,

My rx 300 have been running with a faulty sensor bank 2 sensor 1 (error P1155) for quite some time now. Until this morning, i noticed that my CEL is blinking. When i put on the OBD II reader it throws additional codes P0300 P 0302 P0304 P0306-misfires in the cylinder.

Is it possible that I have the same problem. Would the replacement of new oxygen sensor fixes all the codes..

Thanks Everyone.
Welcome to Club Lexus. Please read the sticky threads. Specially https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-problem.html

We suggest that you clear all codes and re-read when you get CEL. Once things go out of whack, the secondary problems should not be trouble shooted first. Fix the first one and then address what ever pops up next. Service interval for the spark plugs in 110K. Only use OEM plugs.

Salim
Old 05-30-16, 04:47 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Hello everyone,

Thanks Everyone.
Nope. Just keep driving it. I find a piece of black tape over the check engine light saves me lots of money.

LOL

Consider buying two bank 1 sensors (bank 1 & 2) are identical). The sensor 1s seem to fail around the same time. Also, as they age they get less responsive.

Last edited by Drcoffee; 05-31-16 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-31-16, 04:49 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Hello everyone,

Thanks Everyone.
replace that bank 2 o2 sensor. If the other codes come up after the reset, it may be one of your OCV sensors going.
Old 06-01-16, 07:36 AM
popeyerx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny that we all newbs seem to be having the same issue but in spite of the 'experienced' telling us the common issue we go looking for ghosts.

same issue here, Bank1 Sensor1 code popped up, too difficult to get my big hands near the connector, I kept ignoring and going about my merry way. Engine ran lean, higher temps. the other day the RX decided it had enough of me ignoring her and stopped going anywhere (missing and hiccupping) at which time I cursed the RX for the trouble caused, bit my sorry lip and replaced the Bank1 sensor1 & Bank1 sensor 2.

lesson learnt - don't buy any other but Denso. eBay is the cheapest.

btw ... a well earned THANKS to the 'experienced' who take the time to document the stories, which makes us save a few bob and become experienced.
Old 09-12-16, 04:35 AM
kanondu
Driver School Candidate

Hello guys
My name is Kanondu. I am new here . Please can anyone help me

I have rx 350 07 model. I have been using it for two years now no problem. recently I noticed that it doesn't move well at a certain speed. especially when I want to move with full force, the vehicle will be stalling as if it want to off but if I press the gas pedal gently, it will move fine. The funny thing is that at idle mode the engine steams very well without jerking safe in few occasion when I start it in the morning, it will jerk for some seconds and return normal.

I have clean the air filter severally and recently the check engine light came up and started flashing. I stopped the car and quickly diagnosed it with my obd scanner and error code P0300 came up and indicated random multiple cylinder misfire.

Any help on what to do will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 and multiple Misfire help.. please!