RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What is this leaking and how do I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 05:59 PM
Kricker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this leaking and how do I fix it?

My wife's RX300 has a water leak inside the cabin coming from the center console. It is on the passenger side in front of the ac drain line. There is a white plastic part with a aluminum tube coming into it. I think it may be the heater core. I am just guessing as the aluminum pipe gets very hot. There is what looks to be a foam seal around the edge of the part. Water is sleeping from the lowest point. You can even see some white corrosion on the aluminum around that part. Pics are attached.
Attached Thumbnails What is this leaking and how do I fix it?-img_20140920_204320.jpg   What is this leaking and how do I fix it?-leak.jpg  

Last edited by Kricker; 09-20-14 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 08:24 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Welcome to CL.

IMHO it is not the heater core that is leaking. It is the condensate from AC. When the vehicle is new all condensate exits out of the drain pipe (you can see the elbow in your picture. As the vehicle ages the seams of the clamshell develop a crack and the condensate leaks out in the cabin.

There is unlikely situation where the drain is clogged. You can take 3 ft string of a weed whacker and thread it up the drain pipe and twirl it.

You can take your vehicle to an auto AC expert to price out the repair. It will be in 4 figures, so dont be shocked.

Salim
Old 09-20-14, 09:47 PM
Kricker
Driver School Candidate

The ac drain line is clean. I removed it and confirmed this. When the AC is running at full speed, there is cold air blowing out of the hole that drain line connects to. Is that supposed to happen? After driving around and running the ac for a while, I noticed some water on the floor. I then check the AC drain line again by removing it. There was indeed a little water draining into the line, but nothing was leaking from it. I then noticed the wetness in the area I circled above, and looking closely I saw the white corrosion. Are you saying the leak may be elsewhere and just dripping from that location? Looking very closely at that area, there is no wetness above it. It really appears to be seeping from that location. What is that part? Is it even possible for water to seep out of that location?

Last edited by Kricker; 09-20-14 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-21-14, 07:11 AM
kalali
Pole Position

If it's water then it's got to be condensation. Coolant runs through the heater core.
Old 09-21-14, 05:57 PM
Kricker
Driver School Candidate

It doesn't have a smell and appears clear like water. I am not sure how to fix this.
Old 10-17-14, 01:44 PM
Kricker
Driver School Candidate

An update to this odd leak saga. After a visit to my mechanic where he cleaned the drain line, he suggested I take it to the dealer as they have no clue why it would be leaking there. I took it to the dealer. They inspected it and came to the same result as everyone else. It shouldn't be leaking there. They also cleaned the drain line. Now it appears to be leaking even more. Lexus suggested maybe it was severely backed up and after some time it should subside. It has not. Now I guess the only choice is to rip that unit out of there and see what is going on. Lexus estimated a price of $1300 to pull it out and open it up to see what is happening. Hmmm.
Old 10-18-14, 06:39 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Wrap a towel around it.... much cheaper.
Old 10-24-14, 06:40 PM
Kricker
Driver School Candidate

That's what I've been doing. But it gets soaked pretty quickly.
Old 04-29-15, 10:55 AM
captdalton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ahhh the joys of RX ownership

Noticed I have this same issue. Removed kick panel and wedged my hand under the AC and felt condensate on several things. I can see were it is dripping and running down into the passenger floor board. I am going to remove the drain line and hose it out, but, while disconnected I am going to connect my wet/dry vac to the tube the drain line connects to and see if there is dust/dirt/algae/gunk built up in the bottom of the AC and not getting to the drain. I'll take some pics and report back my results.
Old 05-04-15, 07:19 AM
Kricker
Driver School Candidate

Please do. We never got it fixed, because no one including the dealer could figure out why it was doing it. The dealer quoted like $400 just to get in there and see.
Old 06-25-15, 03:42 PM
Kricker
Driver School Candidate

@captdalton

Did you ever find out anything more?
Old 06-26-15, 05:52 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would let everything dry out, and then silicone it in that area and see if it stops. Lot cheaper than pulling it. I assume water is still coming out the bottom of car where the drain is? If not than that is not good.
Old 06-26-15, 06:01 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I would let everything dry out, and then silicone it in that area and see if it stops. Lot cheaper than pulling it. I assume water is still coming out the bottom of car where the drain is? If not than that is not good.
+1
Old 06-29-15, 09:41 AM
Kricker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Yes water still drains out the tube below the car. I am not sure putting silicon on that will do anything. It seems to be part of the heater core and gets quite hot.
Old 06-29-15, 12:27 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Kricker
Yes water still drains out the tube below the car. I am not sure putting silicon on that will do anything. It seems to be part of the heater core and gets quite hot.
If you can get to it easy enough, what have you got to lose by using a heat rated silicone and giving it a try? Coolant temp is typically 180-190 degrees.