RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Trans Failure?

Old 09-19-14, 09:45 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
All symptoms gone, including the transmission acting up?

I don't know if anyone else on CL has some ideas, but I say it's time to take it to a mechanic. Especially if it's something electrical, those issues are usually a bear to track down.

So the mechanic reset the DTC and on his system it showed that ignition coil a-e had failed and pressure solenoid a and solenoid b had failed. Then he reset the dtc and the lights all went away and then this morning they all came back and the clicking started again. No transmission lack of power yet. But mechanic says it might be a relay or the solenoids. Its not mechanical but actually electric. Turning it off and on again will mitigate the symptoms of lack of power on the trans.
Old 09-19-14, 09:47 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Originally Posted by jgoorn
So the mechanic reset the DTC and on his system it showed that ignition coil a-e had failed and pressure solenoid a and solenoid b had failed. Then he reset the dtc and the lights all went away and then this morning they all came back and the clicking started again. No transmission lack of power yet. But mechanic says it might be a relay or the solenoids. Its not mechanical but actually electric. Turning it off and on again will mitigate the symptoms of lack of power on the trans.

First time showed no ignition coil for codes but only solenoid a and b. Second time had all ignition coils and solenoid a and b. He did spark plugs but disconnected the battery when hr did it so he says nothing about ignition coil should be true. Solenoid a and b are probably failed. I will get oem pack of 6 or howmany there are total and have them all replaced I suppose. Do you guys recommend a trans flush or a trans cleaning when this is done? I'm not doing at lexus so it should be substantially cheaper. Trans has likely never been "serviced"
Old 09-19-14, 03:12 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power flush is not recommended. You can either do multiple consecutive drain & fills, like 3 times 500 miles intervals, or do a forward flush by removing the transmission cooler lines. It's been discussed and you should be able to find the procedure by doing a search.
Old 09-19-14, 04:05 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Originally Posted by kalali
Power flush is not recommended. You can either do multiple consecutive drain & fills, like 3 times 500 miles intervals, or do a forward flush by removing the transmission cooler lines. It's been discussed and you should be able to find the procedure by doing a search.

Its never been really "cared" for in terms of flushing or the different methods. I will have all the solenoids replaced at the same time so I don't really know in terms of do I have it cleaned or fill the fluid or whatever to maintain it or just leave it? I've never had anything done to it.
Old 09-19-14, 05:18 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Ok so I was driving slowly and then the car started shaking and wouldnt move at all. The gear changes were rough and it was bad. Also the AC light started flashing. Then when I turned it off it wouldn't start. I waited about 20 seconds and turned off all the electronic things lights ac everything. Then it started and it was running oddly. Please help.
Old 09-19-14, 05:19 PM
jgoorn
Driver

I had replaced the alternator previously could that be the issue?
Old 09-19-14, 06:10 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Like I said, it's time to take it to a mechanic. There's only so much one can do, till it's time to hand it to a professional.

If anything you are just causing more damage driving that way.
Old 09-19-14, 08:42 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
Like I said, it's time to take it to a mechanic. There's only so much one can do, till it's time to hand it to a professional.

If anything you are just causing more damage driving that way.
Ok. I'm going to a mechanic tomorrow. Thanks. I'll keep yall updated.
Old 09-20-14, 05:20 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I can help, I had the EXACT same problem a while back. Mine ended up being multiple problems.

That clicking sound? Could be a busted CV axle on your drivers side. Mine was broken on my passenger side. Changed the axle & seal.

The other issues? The "shift solenoid" code I think is some BS OBD default when it's not sure what is up with the transmission.

I cleaned with a wire brush all the grounds. Search my user name for my post regarding their locations. I also swapped and cleaned both transmission speed sensors.

I have not had a problem since.
Old 09-20-14, 07:04 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Originally Posted by jimsRX300
I think I can help, I had the EXACT same problem a while back. Mine ended up being multiple problems.

That clicking sound? Could be a busted CV axle on your drivers side. Mine was broken on my passenger side. Changed the axle & seal.

The other issues? The "shift solenoid" code I think is some BS OBD default when it's not sure what is up with the transmission.

I cleaned with a wire brush all the grounds. Search my user name for my post regarding their locations. I also swapped and cleaned both transmission speed sensors.

I have not had a problem since.
If it were me, I would clean and inspect ALL grounds. Remove, clean and swap both the speed sensors. Then trans filter and new a Toyota T-IV fluid. Case at any dealer will run you 80 bucks. If you need to know, the drain plug is 10mm hex.*

There two grounds, with wires to the fender. There are two sets on each fender. Remove them, clean all ALL all A L L the contact points with a wire brush or whatever. I cannot stress that enough.*

There is a big ground under the battery tray for the negative terminal. Remove that too, clean it.*

The last ground that I know of, is behind the motor near the firewall. It's from the main harness, up where the O2 sensor plugs in. Just remove the part on the firewall, clean it.*

It's about 2 - 3 hours and will cost you 90 bucks. Worth the time.

So I'll have him do that. And the transmission speed sensors and take a look at the axle thanks!
Old 09-20-14, 08:01 PM
jgoorn
Driver

If it were me, I would clean and inspect ALL grounds. Remove, clean and swap both the speed sensors. Then trans filter and new a Toyota T-IV fluid. Case at any dealer will run you 80 bucks. If you need to know, the drain plug is 10mm hex.*

There two grounds, with wires to the fender. There are two sets on each fender. Remove them, clean all ALL all A L L the contact points with a wire brush or whatever. I cannot stress that enough.*

There is a big ground under the battery tray for the negative terminal. Remove that too, clean it.*

The last ground that I know of, is behind the motor near the firewall. It's from the main harness, up where the O2 sensor plugs in. Just remove the part on the firewall, clean it.*

It's about 2 - 3 hours and will cost you 90 bucks. Worth the time.

So I'll have him do that. And the transmission speed sensors and take a look at the axle thanks!

Ok so the clicking/sparking noises are coming from the Fuse box its at the mechanic now.
Old 09-22-14, 08:49 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I'm having the same issue with my 2002 RX300..

Started with the car shifting oddly, would only start in 2nd gear and would jerk into 3rd. CEL/VSC on with codes P0753 (Solenoid A) and P0758 (Solenoid B). Went to a local transmission shop and they replaced both solenoids, changed the filter, and of course did a drain/refill. They said the fluid was fine and they noticed no metal shaving/debris in the transmission. The car shifted perfectly fine and all was normal for about a year until a few weeks ago when the same symptoms/codes reappeared.

Now not only am I getting the P0753 and P0758 codes, there's also the buzzing noise coming from what seems like the drivers side, where the e-brake is. And to top it all off the car is now misfiring on all six cylinders with the flashing CEL. I tested the coils and all of them seem to be fine.. at a loss at to what it could be, it's at the mechanics right now as well.

Please keep me updated on your situation!
Old 09-22-14, 10:37 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Originally Posted by habeeb89
I'm having the same issue with my 2002 RX300..

Started with the car shifting oddly, would only start in 2nd gear and would jerk into 3rd. CEL/VSC on with codes P0753 (Solenoid A) and P0758 (Solenoid B). Went to a local transmission shop and they replaced both solenoids, changed the filter, and of course did a drain/refill. They said the fluid was fine and they noticed no metal shaving/debris in the transmission. The car shifted perfectly fine and all was normal for about a year until a few weeks ago when the same symptoms/codes reappeared.

Now not only am I getting the P0753 and P0758 codes, there's also the buzzing noise coming from what seems like the drivers side, where the e-brake is. And to top it all off the car is now misfiring on all six cylinders with the flashing CEL. I tested the coils and all of them seem to be fine.. at a loss at to what it could be, it's at the mechanics right now as well.

Please keep me updated on your situation!

Glad to hear that im not the only one who has this issue. Sorry about it though. I was told buy the solenoid online and just replace all of them.
But then I was told that it could also be some sort of relay.
Old 09-22-14, 10:56 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Glad to hear that im not the only one who has this issue. Sorry about it though. I was told buy the solenoid online and just replace all of them.
But then I was told that it could also be some sort of relay.
Your mechanic said this?

Please, don't throw parts at it. Get it diagnosed correctly the first time around!
Old 09-22-14, 12:21 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I have a really hard time believing that the same two solenoids that were replaced about a year ago with less than 8,000 miles driven during that year can fail again. I really think it's something to do with the electrical system, now pin pointing exactly what's at fault (battery, ECU, fuses, grounding, etc.) might take a while... I spent close to $600 for the solenoids and installation and it only temporarily patched the problem, I personally wouldn't go replacing all the solenoids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX300 Trans Failure?