RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Trans Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 07:29 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX300 Trans Failure?

Ok, so after having an odd clicking noise by my left foot in the drivers side today it got really bad and then the clicking became really rapid and then the CEL came on along with the VSC and TRAC light. When I hear the clicking noise and look at the CEL it is flickering a little bit. After sticking my head under by the steering column to find where the noise was coming from (to the left of the parking brake) I was baffled and went to drive back home when I noticed the car was rather "sluggish" it needed a good amount of pressing on the pedal to go slowly. I went to Autozone and they pulled codes P0778 and P0748 which is Solenoid B and Solenoid A. Is my trans failing/failed? I also noticed that the clicking noise is still apparent and that once Autozone pulled codes all the lights turned off. Please help!
Old 09-16-14, 08:23 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Is the battery healthy?
Old 09-17-14, 06:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
Is the battery healthy?
+1, the battery is a good place to start. Have it load tested.
Old 09-17-14, 03:49 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
+1, the battery is a good place to start. Have it load tested.
Alright. I just had my mechanic do a 120k could he have screwed up some grounds causing this?
Old 09-17-14, 03:52 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Ok so I know that at least 3 gears work. I haven't had any rough shifting gears but I did notice a little bit of shaking/roughness when going through PRND.
Old 09-17-14, 06:22 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Ok so I was driving and the car just lost power and had a hard time so I pulled into a parking lot and restarted it and it seemed to be fine then as soon as I got home I pulled into my garage and it did it again. Please help! I need to know what to replace. I can't be the battery can it?
Old 09-17-14, 07:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgoorn
Ok so I was driving and the car just lost power and had a hard time so I pulled into a parking lot and restarted it and it seemed to be fine then as soon as I got home I pulled into my garage and it did it again. Please help! I need to know what to replace. I can't be the battery can it?
Doesn't sound like the battery now, I thought it was earlier because you were describing the sounds of the relays going off. Which can happen if the battery is low.

What you mean by the car lost power?
Old 09-18-14, 04:58 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has already told you what has failed. Not sure what else you need to know. Either get a manual to locate the solenoids or take it to your mechanic to have them replaced. Labor won't be too much but OEM parts could be pricey.
Old 09-18-14, 06:05 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Doesn't sound like the battery now, I thought it was earlier because you were describing the sounds of the relays going off. Which can happen if the battery is low.

What you mean by the car lost power?

I had to press on the accelerator pedal a lot to move just a little bit and the rpms went up and I didn't really gain speed.
Old 09-18-14, 06:25 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I had to press on the accelerator pedal a lot to move just a little bit and the rpms went up and I didn't really gain speed.
Those symptoms sound like the transmission, which is certainly related to those solenoid codes you pulled.

Has the CEL come back on? What codes does it show now? Generally, we recommend that you don't fix codes the first time they come up, rather you wait for them to appear a second time to confirm you capture the correct code (usually the first one), as some malfunctions may trigger other CEL's.
Old 09-18-14, 06:31 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Those symptoms sound like the transmission, which is certainly related to those solenoid codes you pulled.

Has the CEL come back on? What codes does it show now? Generally, we recommend that you don't fix codes the first time they come up, rather you wait for them to appear a second time to confirm you capture the correct code (usually the first one), as some malfunctions may trigger other CEL's.

The CEL came on again still with the odd clicking noise. The transmission is still working with a little harsher changes between 2-3 or 1-2. VSC and TRAC are also on.
Old 09-18-14, 06:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The CEL came on again still with the odd clicking noise. The transmission is still working with a little harsher changes between 2-3 or 1-2. VSC and TRAC are also on.
Get the codes scanned again. However, I don't recommend driving the vehicle. You may cause damage to the clutch packs and such, if it's slipping as much as it sounds like it is.

Where is the clicking coming from? Transmission Pan? Or from relays/fuse box?
Old 09-18-14, 06:35 AM
jgoorn
Driver

I'll have autozone pull the codes again today.
Old 09-19-14, 05:58 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Get the codes scanned again. However, I don't recommend driving the vehicle. You may cause damage to the clutch packs and such, if it's slipping as much as it sounds like it is.

Where is the clicking coming from? Transmission Pan? Or from relays/fuse box?

Clicking sounds like either fuse box or to the left of the parking brake. But it is electrical I think because when I turn it off if it is having power issues and turn it back on and all symptoms gone.
Old 09-19-14, 06:09 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Clicking sounds like either fuse box or to the left of the parking brake. But it is electrical I think because when I turn it off if it is having power issues and turn it back on and all symptoms gone.
All symptoms gone, including the transmission acting up?

I don't know if anyone else on CL has some ideas, but I say it's time to take it to a mechanic. Especially if it's something electrical, those issues are usually a bear to track down.

Quick Reply: RX300 Trans Failure?