RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Color me Gone....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 09:19 AM
Aprazur
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color me Gone....

I've sold the loyal old girl after 137,0000 good miles. Owned since Dec 1998. The best vehicle I've owned in my 73 years on this earth. I miss her like a good dog that I've had since it was a puppy had had to sell it....

I tried to fall to fall in love with a newer gen 350. I drove a 2011 RX 350 and a 2013 Acura RDX at a Lexus dealer in Ft Myer. I did not like how much bigger the RX has evolved into. Its a BEHEMOTH now. Much wider and longer (4"). Nice toys inside and soft ride as ever. I would have bought it if it was my only option. But there was another...

I drove the 2013 RDX. its one inch wider than the old 1999 RX and one inch longer. SUPER quick pick up (0-60 in 6.2 sec). it fit me perfect like an old shoe when I sat in it. Super responsive steering compared to the RX which was good but just felt like a old Lincoln. The RX had more gadgets but I was in love with the quick power and seat fit in driving the RDX. I also thought the RX now had to much of a "look at me" I'm rich look. My 1999 did not have that image in my opinion. I felt that at my advanced age (73) driving the super flashy RX was putting a bulls eye on my back in this tough economy.

Long story short (thank you). I purchased a new 2015 AWD Tech package Acura RDX a month ago (38K). I love it. Its flashy but not in your face "I'm Rich." Very quick" off the line. I'm glad that I got the AWD. It chirps the tires at a stop light drag race. Its not as soft a ride as the old girl was. I miss that nice ride. But she was getting long in the tooth. The sun roof stopped working and the interior was worn out. It was time for maybe my last new car.....

I'll miss you guys. The Acura form is nothing like this forum regarding "fix it" information. I'm known as "ARascal" on the second generation RDX Acura forum. Stop by and say hello.

Jerrry.

Last edited by Aprazur; 09-08-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-08-14, 10:12 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey enjoy the new ride. Good luck and maybe I might see your new forum...wifey wants a Acura to replace the RX when that time comes.
Old 09-08-14, 11:56 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Generally I look forward to writing 'welcome' notes, but once in a while we see people saying goodbyes. With First Gen RX getting up there in teens, we will be seeing more Adios messages.

The best way that we can send you off is with a wish that the next vehicle be the same or better than your RX.

Just wondering .. did you check the Audi?

Salim
Old 09-08-14, 12:38 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Wish you luck with the Acura.

The Lexus NX may have been a good fit for you, it's much closer in size to the original Lexus RX.

Don't be a stranger, visit the forum now and then!
Old 09-08-14, 04:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I was considering the RDX to replace my 1999 (like you, I've had it since new). Interesting that you feel the ride is not as good as your RX. Could this be the fact that the RX had 15 year old shocks or is the RDX just too firm?
Old 09-08-14, 06:34 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thomas1
Hey enjoy the new ride. Good luck and maybe I might see your new forum...wifey wants a Acura to replace the RX when that time comes.
Thank you....
Old 09-08-14, 06:38 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Thumbs down Audi.....

Originally Posted by salimshah
Generally I look forward to writing 'welcome' notes, but once in a while we see people saying goodbyes. With First Gen RX getting up there in teens, we will be seeing more Adios messages.

The best way that we can send you off is with a wish that the next vehicle be the same or better than your RX.

Just wondering .. did you check the Audi?

Salim

I checked them all in a very exhaustive over a year search. When I added comparable items, V6 and etc to compare with the RDX Tech model the Audi was priced to high and cost for maintenance for when the warranty was over were on the moon.....

Last edited by Aprazur; 09-14-14 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-08-14, 06:54 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I was considering the RDX to replace my 1999 (like you, I've had it since new). Interesting that you feel the ride is not as good as your RX. Could this be the fact that the RX had 15 year old shocks or is the RDX just too firm?
I don't think so. I remember the Lexus ride being very good from the start. People would comment on how nice the Lexus rode when I first bought it. And I had installed new springs and struts on the Lexus two years ago, myself. Along, with ball joints, tie rods and rear tracktion bars.

People that ride in my Acura say " rides a Little stiff". Although the Acura does have known to be 18" Michlin stiff riding tires.. The Lexus had newer Goodyear Assurance 16" tires. Very soft smooth riding tires.
Old 09-08-14, 08:09 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I believe the Accura has always ridden a little more on the stiff sporty side.
Old 09-08-14, 08:37 PM
QCPete
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Aprazur;8703289]I've sold the loyal old girl after 137,0000 good miles. Owned since Dec 1998. The best vehicle I've owned in my 73 years on this earth. I miss her like a good dog that I've had since it was a puppy had had to sell it....

Totally understand what you mean. We just traded in our 2002 RX (251,000 mi) and it was sad to see her go. We loved that car. Like you, we struggled with making a decision on a new car, but ultimately got another RX. It will take some time to feel "at home" in the new one. Being a "more mature" buyer like you, we figure we may not buy new again, and we hope to have as good luck with the this one. Crazy how we can become so attached with an inanimate object.

Best of luck to you. Hope you love your new ride!

QCPete
Old 09-09-14, 08:56 AM
01rxwhite
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am in the same position now. My 01, is at 259k mi, but still running great and I hate to part with it. At some point though I know it will be time to move on. I looking now as well. Anyone I've known with an RDX has loved it. My wife drives and 04 MDX AWD and it drives like a truck compared to my RX. She likes the RX because it has a quieter ride. I've really not found another model crossover I can compare to another Lexus. I might even find a low mileage 1st or 2nd Gen RX and would stay with Lexus because of quality and dependability. Plus 10yrs + of DIY experience.
Old 09-09-14, 10:43 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

How does MPG compare?

Salim
Old 09-09-14, 07:45 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=QCPete;8704248]
Originally Posted by Aprazur
I've sold the loyal old girl after 137,0000 good miles. Owned since Dec 1998. The best vehicle I've owned in my 73 years on this earth. I miss her like a good dog that I've had since it was a puppy had had to sell it....

Totally understand what you mean. We just traded in our 2002 RX (251,000 mi) and it was sad to see her go. We loved that car. Like you, we struggled with making a decision on a new car, but ultimately got another RX. It will take some time to feel "at home" in the new one. Being a "more mature" buyer like you, we figure we may not buy new again, and we hope to have as good luck with the this one. Crazy how we can become so attached with an inanimate object.

Best of luck to you. Hope you love your new ride!

QCPete
The same well wishes my fellow senior. I might end up wishing I stayed with Lexus... But, for now I love the way the RDX, looks, steers and the stop light pep.... Not my grandfathers Buick (or Lexus)...
Your certainly right about being attached with an inanimate object. But... you ought to see how attached I am to my little dog! Way beyond normal....

Last edited by Aprazur; 09-09-14 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 08:02 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool Suckin gas and Haulin ***...

Originally Posted by salimshah
How does MPG compare?

Salim

Brand new with only 400 miles on her. I'm getting 17 mpg all around town driving...and my foot is in it half the time. I love the "GROWL" of the engine when you boot it in the butt. Paddle shifters. I better slow down. Act my age.... NAW... damn fun to drive. 6.2 to 60 mph. Wiped out two Harley's at a light last week. I had two cars on them before I shut it down at 110. The computer cuts off first 2 of the 6, then three of the six cylinders if you drive it like a normal sane person. It has a six speed trans, the last two gears are over drives.1st gear is a 4:15 ratio, if I remember right? It chirps all four tires off the light....

The guys on the Acura forum are claiming 20-22 around town and 26-28 on the highway after about 10K miles. It is lighter than my Lexus, only 3,750 pounds .... It feels bigger but stats say only one inch in width and length bigger than a RX300. Harder to back in my garage though. Still getting used to her. In the honeymoon period... I was getting 15 mpg with the old RX around town driving, About 17/18 highway.

Last edited by Aprazur; 09-09-14 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 08:03 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you the very best & enjoy. Your analogy of a dog is understood as well as I wouldn't want to rush out and get the exact same one or at least wait a bit Take care!

Quick Reply: Color me Gone....