RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Choosing Between Two Kumho Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 07:57 PM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing Between Two Kumho Tires

Our 16 Year old has taken over her Mothers (my x-wife) 2001 RX300 AWD and we need to replace the tires.

No off-roading at all. A Very careful driver and likely to remain so. Her habits alone will get lots of miles out of any tire.

So, we need budget tires and I have read search results here until blue in the face and I gather the Kumho's do OK.

I read lots about the Solus KR21's but nothing on the Road Venture APT KL51 and a litte on the KH16.

She "Might" get a little snow and ice here in N. GA

We are looking at the APT KL51 because its a highway tire and but I wanted to bring the all up here for comment and suggestions.

Thanks
Old 09-08-14, 02:38 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Having bought Kumho (Korean) tires in the past, my report is they were disappointing. The Cooper CS5 costs more (a recent set was $525.00 out the door with lifetime balancing and rotation). But then you have tires that you can count-on, unbelievable GRIP (including the rain), quiet, handling is beautiful and you can anticipate a long tread-life expectancy. As an aside, you would be dealing with a company that has built its business over a hundred years by word-of-mouth referrals, they don't advertise. Bargain tires and bargain brakes are rarely a bargain.
Old 09-08-14, 06:03 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Look atYokohamaAVID Ascend ...they are reasonable and very safe.

Last edited by thomas1; 09-08-14 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-08-14, 06:50 AM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Guys, I'll look into those.

Keep them coming folks.
Old 09-08-14, 11:57 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Smile

The Kumho's; Solus KR-21's are an older design that start out well but, don't last very long and the APT KL-51 are a bit aggressive for the RX-300 and more suited for some duty. Forget about the KH-16 as they're another older design and score too low to recommend but, they have a following.

Not only are the Cooper CS5's(replacing the CS4's which I also have on one vehicle) a new tire worth looking into, the new General AltiMax RT43 are another. I just installed the AltiMAX RT-43 on our RX 300. Nice tire for an RX!

Both the Cooper & General are reasonably priced on both Discount Tire Direct and Tread Depot. The Tire Rack only carries the RT43's not any Cooper at all.

This all depends on how good of a value you are looking for. Considering your GA climate, the CS5's and RT43 will offer you some very good value. Also, should you have a snowy/icey winter as GA has had recently, either tire will be an nice addition. Others may disagree!

Last edited by CharBaby; 09-08-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-08-14, 12:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CharBaby
The Kumho's; Solus KR-21's are an older design that start out well but, don't last very long and the APT KL-51 are a bit aggressive for the RX-300 and more suited for some duty. Forget about the KH-16 as they're another older design and score too low to recommend but, they have a following.

Not only are the Cooper CS5's(replacing the CS4's which I also have on one vehicle) a new tire worth looking into, the new General AltiMax RT43 are another. I just installed the AltiMAX RT-43 on our RX 300. Nice tire for an RX!

Both the Cooper & General are reasonably priced on both Discount Tire Direct and Tread Depot. The Tire Rack only carries the RT43's not any Cooper at all.

This all depends on how good of a value you are looking for. Considering your GA climate, the CS5's and RT43 will offer you some very good value. Also, should you have a snowy/icey winter as GA has had recently, either tire will be an nice addition. Others may disagree!
+1, I'll vouch for CharBaby's expertise. He's considered one of the tire guru over on BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy Forum)!
Old 09-08-14, 08:34 PM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I had not even seen the AltiMAX RT-43 tire. I'll see who deals them around here.
Old 09-09-14, 01:32 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2therock
Thanks for the info. I had not even seen the AltiMAX RT-43 tire. I'll see who deals them around here.
Will you be buying tires at your local tire dealer(s)?

Here are 3 sites that I have used over the last 10 years and am very happy with all 3 sites. As are those in my circle of family & friends and my car guy friends.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=006172&cs=225

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RT43&tab=Sizes

http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/15495120000.html

Also, the tire comparison testing from the tire rack and many customer reviews from all sites, are all very favorable. A good solid value!

Last edited by CharBaby; 09-09-14 at 02:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-09-14, 07:17 AM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if I got off topic.

I know I asked about budget tires but now I am contemplating going back to Michelin's.

I currently am going through a mess on a minivan that has a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires that will not run smooth. One in particular has been replaced and they have all been Road Force balanced with one taking lots of rim rotations and still needs lots of weight.
I still feel a low amplitude high frequency vibration in the wheel and seat at 78 mph.
I Say 78 mph because I drive I-75 in and out of Atlanta everyday and if you are not doing at least that speed you are in all kinds of trouble.

The above said, keep talking to me guys. And yes my dealer is a Tire Rack vendor but I'll not be going that route with him. If I wanted a tire that was hard to find or if Tire Rack was the only place he could get it fine.

He is bending over backwards to satisfy me. I am leaving the van with him tomorrow and he says he will get to the bottom of it even if it takes getting me into another brand set of tires.

I like and us Tire Rack, I have rims and rotors through them now.
Old 09-09-14, 07:20 AM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

What Michelin would you put on a RX300 and or a Grand Caravan?

Your take on the Defender?
Old 09-09-14, 08:32 AM
01rxwhite
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the Kumhos' on my 01 RX, both KR-21 (2 times) and KH-16 (once), in the past few years. I got only 40K to 45k miles each time. They show a warranty of 60K/65k, which is bogus. Getting any mileage credit on them will not happen. The KH-16 is a very smooth highway tire that will get good MPG. Just keep in mind you'd be getting a 40k tire and don't purchase them based on the warranty. I currently have the Yokohama Avid Ascend and am very happy with them at 15k mi so far. If you have the $$, you can't go wrong with the Michelins. It's just all up to you and how much you want to spend,
Old 09-09-14, 08:46 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Michelin's are overpriced IMO. They are definitely excellent tires, but unless you have $$ burning a hole in your pocket, there are more cost efficient choices on the market.

If you must go Michelin, I'd recommend the LTX M/S2.

Personally, I'd be looking at the Firestone Destination LE 2 and the General AltiMax RT43. But, my General Grabber HTS only have 23k miles on them right now.
Old 09-09-14, 09:24 AM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,

I have the M/S2 on My Truck. And have been running them since the original versions from back in 93 I think.

The new 2 version is an amazing improvement in the tire seen and felt from my truck. An no.... I do not do burn outs. I do some hard breaking and had them in the Atlanta snow last winter and perfect.

I'm Tempted. I absolutely love the tires. Oh the money!
Old 09-09-14, 11:42 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

The General Altimax RT43 or the Firestone Desitnation LE2 are the tires I would decide between. The General RT43 is the better value.

Both tires should be available for both vehicles being discussed.

General Altimax RT43

Firestone Destination LE2

The Defender gets a lot of mixed reviews. I am generally a little hesitant to recommend them because of the mixed reviews and other options for (usually) less money. Two options I would recommend have been mentioned, the General Altimax RT43 and the Firestone Destination LE2

-AJ
Old 09-09-14, 08:42 PM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,

I'm mulling it all over.

Quick Reply: Choosing Between Two Kumho Tires