RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Knock sensor Nightmares. Advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 07:05 AM
craigndee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor Nightmares. Advice appreciated

Hi guys, have a 1999 RX300 driving me out of my mind. Check engine light on for p0330 knock sensor code. Tore the engine down and replaced both knock sensors and harness. (Maybe my biggest hindsight error is not getting the parts from Toyota. Got knock sensors and harness from Autopart International.) After completed cleared code. Drove 5 minutes before check engine light back on again for knock sensor code again. Really pissed off had 2 new knock sensors and another harness delivered, again from autopart international. Did entire job a second time. And its not a fun job the first time. After completing it again, reset and drive 5 minutes to have check engine light on again for knock sensor codes. now getting p0330 AND p0325 bank one and bank two. I've read lots of stuff online about this and cant imagine tearing it apart a third F%$#ing time. I've read the ECU may be the problem. Found places to repair the ECU for $250 VS. replacing it at huge cost at the Dealer. Or is my problem completely related to non Toyota parts? I guess I should have used Toyota parts but never gave it thought at the time. Cannot figure out where to go next with this. Biggest fear is to send out the computer and pay $250 for the repair and reinstall only to find same problem? Any help much appreciated guys! Craig
Old 08-25-14, 07:51 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

How many miles on your RX .. this would help us guess if the knock sensors are a strong possibility of end of life. [150k miles plus]

I would suggest switching to OEM sensors, before the ECU.

and welcome to Club Lexus.

Salim
Old 08-26-14, 05:32 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Look at it this way: it'll be much easier the third time around. When it comes to engine sensors, I never buy aftermarket, regardless of the vehicle. And sometimes OEM sensors cost the same as aftermarket.
Old 08-30-14, 12:15 PM
craigndee
Driver School Candidate

Default Knock sensor nightmares.

Thanks guys. Going to get REAL Toyota Lexus knock sensors next week and give it a THIRD F$#^%ing time. I appreciate the input. I wish I would have gotten the original Toyota knock sensors in the first place but live and learn the hard way. BTW this RX300 has 130k miles on it.
Old 11-15-14, 01:36 PM
hooterbif
Driver School Candidate

Well, what happened?
Old 11-21-14, 06:49 AM
OldPearl
Driver School Candidate

I am having a very similar issue. I replaced both my sensors and harness with Beck Arnley parts which had great reviews and supposedly are very good. Originally I was getting p0330 but after about 5,000 miles of driving the CEL has been going on and off, sometimes locks me out of O/D, sometimes does not. Then if I throw some fuel injector cleaner in the gas, the lights go off and she purrs. It is driving me crazy. Is it possible the CEL is throwing a knock sensor code (now it is saying it is the other bank), but it is really something else? Coils, o2, etc? Or is it really the knock sensors again???

I am about to just trade in the car and call it a day. Its an 02 with 130k miles and I do not want to tear down the engine, replace everything again, and it STILL only last a couple miles again. Is it really because I used Beck Arnley parts??
Old 11-22-14, 03:06 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

In cases like this I think it's best to let the dealer earn their keep - if they get it wrong, the second time around it's on them!
Old 11-24-14, 09:54 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPearl
I am having a very similar issue. I replaced both my sensors and harness with Beck Arnley parts which had great reviews and supposedly are very good. Originally I was getting p0330 but after about 5,000 miles of driving the CEL has been going on and off, sometimes locks me out of O/D, sometimes does not. Then if I throw some fuel injector cleaner in the gas, the lights go off and she purrs. It is driving me crazy. Is it possible the CEL is throwing a knock sensor code (now it is saying it is the other bank), but it is really something else? Coils, o2, etc? Or is it really the knock sensors again???

I am about to just trade in the car and call it a day. Its an 02 with 130k miles and I do not want to tear down the engine, replace everything again, and it STILL only last a couple miles again. Is it really because I used Beck Arnley parts??
Theres no way for anyone to KNOW the correct answer in each similar situation sitting in front of a computer.
Old 11-24-14, 03:06 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Bank 2 sensor always

I changed everything over the summer. At some point it started throwing a bank 2 knock sensor code regularly. I think I'm going to use bobsters hack to isolate out the bank 2 sensor.
Old 12-30-14, 11:56 AM
Mark99
Driver School Candidate

Hey, Having the same issue with mine. Driving me crazy. Did you solve your problem??
Old 12-30-14, 08:52 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark99
Hey, Having the same issue with mine. Driving me crazy. Did you solve your problem??
Mark99, if your question is for me, I have had no issues since I did the bobster hack. Note I use premium fuel exclusively since this problem started, and have continued to do so after the hack.
I have no idea why that one sensor became a recurring problem.
Old 01-01-15, 07:18 PM
ptgo
Driver School Candidate

Hi if can help I'm having same problem knock sensor codes no overdrive. 99 RX300 3.0 AWD 292xxx miles. I could not detect any detonation or other problem's. I replaced both sensors wire harness also plugs. Old plugs looked normal for mileage on them no other issue's found. Car runs good drive's good for about 2 miles then I get CEL knock sensor. When I ordered parts online it said OEM turns out that was original equipment manufacturing. Had no choice but to put them in as I didn't have time or money to order other parts. All review's on them were good. Any idea's woulb be appreciated.
Old 01-01-15, 07:39 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by ptgo
Hi if can help I'm having same problem knock sensor codes no overdrive. 99 RX300 3.0 AWD 292xxx miles. I could not detect any detonation or other problem's. I replaced both sensors wire harness also plugs. Old plugs looked normal for mileage on them no other issue's found. Car runs good drive's good for about 2 miles then I get CEL knock sensor. When I ordered parts online it said OEM turns out that was original equipment manufacturing. Had no choice but to put them in as I didn't have time or money to order other parts. All review's on them were good. Any idea's woulb be appreciated.
Was there a typo in the post and the parts were NOT oem?

The only thing I can suggest is that you ask for a refund. If the seller is nice they should pay for labor. Worth a try.

Salim
Old 01-02-15, 08:30 AM
ptgo
Driver School Candidate

No typo I didn't look close enough that was the name of the company. I had to get everything back together we had rain coming in and wife needed car. I have to work outside not sure if old sensor's were factory. The car runs great I can't see anything looking at live data or freeze frame. I just got scanner leading how to read it.
Old 01-05-15, 07:42 AM
craigndee
Driver School Candidate

Default Knock Sensor Issue resolved

Thanks for all the input guys. My issue has been resolved. I purchased two knock sensors from the TOYOTA dealer and a new harness. Codes have not returned. The part numbers for the Lexus and the Toyota are the same but the price was almost $150 cheaper for the ones from the Toyota dealer. I did have to provide the Toyota guys with a part number. Look up the part on an online Lexus part store and get the part number. The REAL sensors solved my problem after the third time I tore this thing apart. Moral of the story always buy sensors from the dealer to get the real ones. Avoid my nightmare. Good news is Autopart international let me return the aftermarket non working sensors and harness.

Quick Reply: Knock sensor Nightmares. Advice appreciated