RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need New Muffler--Size?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 08:52 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need New Muffler--Size?

Hello--so now that I have replaced the IACV, I have noticed, I'm not sure if it's my car being normal, or if it's just relearning the new system, but I feel as if my muffler is just starting to crap out.

It is an aftermarket "Texas Turbo" muffler that some shop put on about 6 years ago in Miami for $100.

It's rusting like a mother. When the mechanic finished my IACV and I started car and it idled around 500 (up until last night it would fluctuate at red lights and almost sound like it's going to die so please chime in) but to me it sounded very low, and so he covered the exhaust outlet and said yeah it's this muffler because if you had a leak up front i'd hear it right now (again, please chime in). He also pointed into my POS muffler and said that it appears the in pipe, or some pipe, was actually off center int he muffler, so it's giving me this weird sound. This may all jus be the actual sound of my car now that the TB is clean, new air filter, cleaned MAF, and new IACV, so I'm not sure what that being off center has to do with it..

So, I want a sound like I have now minus corrosion.

I'm on ebay looking--can someone please tell me the size to look for? I really just need the "in" size to get. The out is something I'll have to measure when I make a cardboard mock up to see if it will look dumb/fit.

Let me know, PLEASE.

And if anyone can recommend something, I'm truly not going for quality bc it's just an RX, but I want that injen or honda type sound hehe. What are some Lexus exhaust companies that I may find a used muffler.

One last tangent, anyone in NJ know of a place I can go, let's say a junkyard or something, to find a muffler?

Let me know, please.!!
Old 08-06-14, 09:26 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You can use www.car-part.com to find used mufflers at a salvage yard.

However, I recommend you buy a new aftermarket direct fit muffler from rock auto.
Old 08-06-14, 01:56 PM
DeadRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
You can use www.car-part.com to find used mufflers at a salvage yard.

However, I recommend you buy a new aftermarket direct fit muffler from rock auto.
The only recommended mufflers on Rock Auto are two that appear to be stock/silencing mufflers.

I am wondering the size of the pipe that an aftermarket muffler would need to be welded to.
Old 08-06-14, 08:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadRX
The only recommended mufflers on Rock Auto are two that appear to be stock/silencing mufflers.

I am wondering the size of the pipe that an aftermarket muffler would need to be welded to.
Go through Lexmex's old threads, he has experimented with many different exhaust setups. You will definitely find what you are looking for.
Old 08-07-14, 06:44 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
Go through Lexmex's old threads, he has experimented with many different exhaust setups. You will definitely find what you are looking for.
it's 2.25" inlet, he said he usually buys a 2.5" and has the welder close the gap.

Anyone in NJ know of a place selling used mufflers, or a junk yard? (that link you gave Hyper did not produce what I needed, but thank you!)
Old 08-07-14, 07:49 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

for the "injen or honda sound" you are looking for, you might as well buy new a SS canister style muffler from ebay $30-55 . Any used OEM part out there will never get that sound.
Old 08-07-14, 03:30 PM
DeadRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
for the "injen or honda sound" you are looking for, you might as well buy new a SS canister style muffler from ebay $30-55 . Any used OEM part out there will never get that sound.
I've seen plenty of those ss canister exhausts, but that is most likely what I currently have. the hks/honda/injen sound is way different from a canister, and I'm trying to achieve that more-tuned sound.

thanks