RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Homelink-NOT a programming question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 01:36 PM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Homelink-NOT a programming question

So, my wife's 2000 RX300 has had no issues with homelink since we bought it last summer..I had no problems programming it, even with the rolling code the opener has. This week it just stopped working. Upon further review, the left button(one that was programmed) doesn't appear to work. When you push it, it doesn't have the slight "click", and the light doesn't flash..in addition, when I try to reprogram the center or right button, they just flash as soon as I press the button. They never seem to "reset".

In my opinion, the homelink unit is toast, but has anyone experienced this? If so, is the unit really dead, can it be fixed/replaced? If so, how much/how hard? I searched but only found issues with the units learning/programming-didn't see this issue.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by bgross88; 03-16-11 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 01:59 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tell her her big, huge thumbs mashed it to death and everybody at Club Lexus is talking bad about her for destroying that sweet '00. Tell her you expect a pass on your next three screw ups over this and if she didn't have such giant thumbs none of this would have happened.

I don't know anything about the Homelink, I'm just offering really good relationship advice.
Old 03-16-11, 03:17 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

The button can be messed up.

Since there are multiple buttons, try programming a free/unused one. This would be the simplest solution.

Look for a visor; which show up on ebay.

I have the electronics with me, but you have to cut open the skin and the repair may look visually unacceptable. My replacement visor was slightly different, so electronics from one may not fit into another. PM me if you need more help.

Salim
Old 03-17-11, 02:18 PM
2002RX300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Doesn't this homelink remote have a battery? Maybe just the battery needs replacing.
Old 03-17-11, 02:24 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002RX300
Doesn't this homelink remote have a battery? Maybe just the battery needs replacing.
I think it is powered by the car battery.
Old 03-17-11, 07:55 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

...and new replacement units are hideously expensive. I think they retail for $900+, and I see them in the online vendors for about $750. Ebay or a salvage yard would definitely be the way to go. Just swap it out. It looks like a cover snaps off, you unscrew the mount, and unplug a clip or two. I can't speak from experience (yet!), but that's what it looked like on a parts diagram.
Old 03-18-11, 05:10 AM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might just want to look at the button itself. I deal with these things all this time, what can happen is the button underneath the one that you press gets caught and just gets stuck in the down position. Try taking the cover off and see if it's just stuck. If it is, just try moving it around to unstick it. If that doesn't work, look on eBay, i just checked a few out and they seem to be going for around $100
Old 03-18-11, 09:26 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

good call..that's what I ended up doing. I pulled the cover, and the "bottom" button was indeed stuck..didn't realize that's how these were set up.

I am good to go!

Carver...I made sure to tell her, that her gigantic thumbs broke it in the 1st place. I also just replaced her busted up antenaa mast as well, so I am back in mama-bear's good grace.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-18-11, 01:40 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bgross88
good call..that's what I ended up doing. I pulled the cover, and the "bottom" button was indeed stuck..didn't realize that's how these were set up.

I am good to go!

Carver...I made sure to tell her, that her gigantic thumbs broke it in the 1st place. I also just replaced her busted up antenaa mast as well, so I am back in mama-bear's good grace.

Thanks to all!
Glad I was able to help!
Old 03-18-11, 10:11 PM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

I am good to go!

Thanks to all!
Good to know I could help as well.
Old 08-11-14, 08:29 AM
stanbond
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skyspydude
You might just want to look at the button itself. I deal with these things all this time, what can happen is the button underneath the one that you press gets caught and just gets stuck in the down position. Try taking the cover off and see if it's just stuck. If it is, just try moving it around to unstick it. If that doesn't work, look on eBay, i just checked a few out and they seem to be going for around $100
Hi Skyspydude. This is exactly my problem. Can you please clarify "taking off the cover" - the plastic rind that encloses all the buttons, or the fabric cover? Best process for not breaking something?
Old 08-11-14, 08:30 AM
stanbond
Driver School Candidate

I am good to go!

Thanks to all!
Hi BGross. This is exactly my problem. Can you please clarify "taking off the cover" - the plastic rind that encloses all the buttons, or the fabric cover? Best process for not breaking something?