RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

wife lost remote master key chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 08:30 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wife lost remote master key chip

So what I have now is the remote/mater key shell and shank since the chip inside fell out and is lost. I also have a valet and wallet card key - the one the you have to put the card next to the ignition switch before you can start the car.

I don't really know what you call the key system, I guess its somewhere in between dumb and smart keys. LOL.

When I googled reprogramming remote keys with tech stream I did see some peeps programing similar looking keys with tech stream without their original remote master key. So I'm hoping it'll work for me too. I haven't purchased the replacement key yet since my friend's friend that works at the Lex dealership is on vacation.

So do you think this will work? Or just partially, meaning the remote portion unlock/lock but I will not be able to start the car with the new key.

Thx!
Old 07-31-14, 08:45 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey welcome to clublexus, unfortunately you would have to use the key card put it up to the ignition and use the other key that the remote fell out of, you can purchase the keys "brains" used on ebay for 50-80$ give or take a few and you can easily reprogram it yourself I wouldn't suggest the dealer because you would bee looking at prices in the triple digits and I mean 100$+ just for the brain and they may charge you to program it too I'll see if I can find any for you and post the link! Good luck!
Old 07-31-14, 08:58 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Here you go buddy found this one on Ebay for 69.99 but since this item is over 20$ you get a extra 5$ off so it is 64.99$ free shipping I would take advantage of this ASAP! This is a good price! Also for the discount use the eBay mobile app on either your apple or android device http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...669060&alt=web

Last edited by AnthonyMtz; 07-31-14 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-31-14, 09:06 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
Hey welcome to clublexus, unfortunately you would have to use the key card put it up to the ignition and use the other key that the remote fell out of, you can purchase the keys "brains" used on ebay for 50-80$ give or take a few and you can easily reprogram it yourself I wouldn't suggest the dealer because you would bee looking at prices in the triple digits and I mean 100$+ just for the brain and they may charge you to program it too I'll see if I can find any for you and post the link! Good luck!
I've got a friend's friend working at the stealership and he mentioned he can get the key at a discount but they charged extra for programming the new key in and he was also not sure if I can program it myself without the remote master key, unless the wallet/card key is also a master and you can use this to program the replacement key.

So basically what I am asking here is, can you program a new remote/master key to start the car, not just unlock/lock the doors without the original remote/master key.

Tx!
Old 07-31-14, 09:08 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Hey welcome to clublexus
More like welcome back! :-)
It's been a while since I've logged in to CL.
Old 07-31-14, 09:11 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Lol well welcome back to clublexus try this link you can program the key yourself, it dose require a few steps though but hey the worst think that can happen is that I won't work lolhttps://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/77601-keys-for-the-suv.html
Old 07-31-14, 09:15 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

I'm almost 100% sure that the key card will work just fine also iv you have the "Grey" key that will work as well
Old 07-31-14, 09:20 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Lol well welcome back to clublexus try this link you can program the key yourself, it dose require a few steps though but hey the worst think that can happen is that I won't work lolhttps://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77601
Saw that already, nobody has confirmed if you can program a new master key with valet or card key.
Old 07-31-14, 09:22 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

I'm almost 100% sure that the key card will work just fine also iv you have the "Grey" key that will work as well
No offense but i need confirmation
Old 07-31-14, 09:23 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Enz
Saw that already, nobody has confirmed if you can program a new master key with valet or card key.
I would probably suggest trying I wouldn't hurt, if you do go through with it and try please let me know and most important, good luck!
Old 07-31-14, 09:24 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Enz
No offense but i need confirmation
No offense taken, I totally understand 100%
Old 07-31-14, 09:27 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

I would probably suggest trying I wouldn't hurt, if you do go through with it and try please let me know and most important, good luck!
Thanks and I will definitely post it here too share the info.
Old 07-31-14, 10:04 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Our resident expert is Hypervish ... him being in East coast, you will have to wait till morning.

Unfortunately the answer may not be applicable to all. The early models needed the master key but some years later that requirement was removed.

PS : I stand corrected .... the master key is always required. The flat key with transponder MAY or MAY NOT be registered as a master key (changed over the years).

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-01-14 at 06:54 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-01-14, 05:09 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

I can help shed some light, recently been down this road. Lexus got in a bit of trouble in the late 90's over this master key stuff. Lost a bunch of lawsuits I guess.

The FLAT KEY you have. Place the metal key part in the ignition but don't turn it.

Observe the security light blinking.

Put the chip part against the metal key, by the ignition.

If the blinking light GOES OUT IMMEDIATELY, chip is programmed as a master. New keys / FOB can be made from it. If the light turns solid for a second or 2, it's not a master.

Good luck. My 2003 was programmed as a master. I have made new keys from it.
Old 08-01-14, 05:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsRX300
I can help shed some light, recently been down this road. Lexus got in a bit of trouble in the late 90's over this master key stuff. Lost a bunch of lawsuits I guess.

The FLAT KEY you have. Place the metal key part in the ignition but don't turn it.

Observe the security light blinking.

Put the chip part against the metal key, by the ignition.

If the blinking light GOES OUT IMMEDIATELY, chip is programmed as a master. New keys / FOB can be made from it. If the light turns solid for a second or 2, it's not a master.

Good luck. My 2003 was programmed as a master. I have made new keys from it.
+1, try this out!

However, not sure if it changed for 2003, but for my 2000 the flat key is only good for door locks.

Quick Reply: wife lost remote master key chip