RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 RX300: Messed up door lock actuator repair, doors won't open now

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 02:41 PM
magneticrt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 RX300: Messed up door lock actuator repair, doors won't open now

I bought a replacement door lock actuator off of the Internet and installed it this afternoon, but the problem now is that the door (rear driver-side) will not open from either the outside or the inside. The power door lock appears to be working, but pulling on the handles from both the outside and inside doesn't do anything.

I suspect that a couple of things have happened:

1. The little bar on the actuator that is supposed to slide between the plastic clip from the external door handle was not pushed up and into place correctly, making the external door handle not work.

2. The cable running from the interior door handle was not positioned correctly.

Either way, I feel really stupid for not testing everything first before putting the door back together and shutting it. Now I have to find a way to open the door so I can disassemble the door panel again and see what happened. I'm not really sure what to do next. Please help me!

Update: So there may be another possibility that could give me some options. I could of swore that the cable going to the internal door handle was working correctly. One of the things I completely overlooked was the Child Protection lock. I believe it may be engaged (I tested the Child lock on the other side and it's reproducing the issue), which is preventing me from opening the door from the inside. If anyone has a solution for how I can override it, that may get me back in business. I would really appreciate your help!

Last edited by magneticrt; 07-04-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-04-14, 04:11 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, that truly is a mess. Maybe someone can help but take heart there are plenty of RX door panels around if you have it cut into it..
Old 07-04-14, 04:57 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

I have not opened the back door actuator, but based on my understanding of the front, the release mechanisms are some what independent. My guess is that you have the child lock on and there is a problem with the outside release links. I will look at my door and post if there is a way to release the lock using the gap in the door. Gotta run now.

Salim
Old 07-07-14, 10:49 AM
magneticrt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to see what the best way would be to access that space to trip the child lock, but I haven't figured out how I would do it.
Old 07-07-14, 11:11 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Why don't yuo price a used door panel and decide cutting it off is viable option? Also, you might check with a locksmith for help.
Old 07-07-14, 11:25 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Cant say for sure it is child lock for sure but lets assume it is for the sake of discussion

1. Option 1 would be to lower the seat back. Remove the garnish and explore if you can see if you can drill right where the child lock is without going too deep.The drill depth will have to be controlled as if you go too far you will cause lot more destruction. You will have to do some exploration from inside of the cabin. I have not opened up the garnish so I cant say that there IS potential access from there. If you do it right you can just buy a plug, and cover it up ... so choose the drill size based on plug.

2. Option 2 ... Get a slim-jim ... about 2" wide. Cut a long notch close to tip. The idea is that you will push it through the door jamb from inside a little below the child lock and then shuffle the slimjim up. and catch the lever. Then give it a tug and the lever will move towards the front. Just make sure the notch is not too far from the edge as you intend to hook the lever in the confines of the door jamb.

You may like to compare the feel of release on the other door in child-locked position.

Salim
Old 07-07-14, 11:28 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by magneticrt
I'm trying to see what the best way would be to access that space to trip the child lock, but I haven't figured out how I would do it.
The only thing that comes to mind would be a long, narrow, thin piece of steel (think feeler gauge, but about 18 inches long)
In the aircraft industry we have a tool called a chip chaser, which is used to remove aluminum shavings from between sheets after you drill holes. It's about the dimensions of what I'm thinking of.
I know there are feeler gauge sets out there that are long, but you need something that will slide into the gap between the door and the door sill, and be able to reach in far enough to trip the child lock....

Hope all that helps..
Old 07-07-14, 04:35 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I bet a locksmith with a slim jim could open it....but removel the inside flip handle assembly and maybe you can use a coat hanger to pull the latch assembly.
Old 07-07-14, 05:36 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
I bet a locksmith with a slim jim could open it....but removel the inside flip handle assembly and maybe you can use a coat hanger to pull the latch assembly.
Good idea.