RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hid kit, $24.99

Old 07-02-14, 04:16 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid kit, $24.99

I will probably get flamed for this , but, I installed a $24.99 HID kit and it works great. In the years I have run these inexpensive HID kits, I have never had a bulb burn-out, but have replaced a few of the ballasts--but at this price--it is inexpensive to keep a spare on-hand. I have done so in numerous of my other cars and I continue to be at a loss what the MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE kits bring to the party. Can someone enlighten me what I am missing with the big-buck kits?

As with any HID conversion, I place the car 20' from a wall (garage door), measure the height to the center of the headlight and mark spots 3-4" lower than that measurement on the wall; then I adjust the beams, if necessary, so the strong point of the beam hits those target points with the driver side beam turned slightly inward. I realize this alignment technique is not as good as having a headlight alignment tool--but it has worked well and it is extremely rare that anyone gives me a headlight-flash thinking I am running my bright-lights.
Old 07-02-14, 04:26 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

It's your vehicle, so why should any one flame you for it.

There are issues with the cutoff and lack of self leveling etc., but I am glad you made an effort to align them.

Post a picture. Best would be if you could park next to factory Hid equipped Lex and we can see the color/temp match.

Salim
Old 07-02-14, 05:32 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
...There are issues with the cutoff and lack of self leveling etc., but I am glad you made an effort to align them.

Post a picture. Best would be if you could park next to factory Hid equipped Lex and we can see the color/temp match.

Salim
Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with a factory HID equipped Lexus to compare. I did, however, choose "color" 6000 as that has always appeared to me to be visually the same as factory lights.

Strangely, some HID installations I have done require a LOT of adjustment to get them projecting at the correct level position, while others, like the RX300, were either dead-on or extremely close.

Historically, my previous installations typically required 5-8 seconds to come-up to full brightness (which is not pleasant when switching from bright-lights back to the HID lights). Bulbs and ballasts must be getting better as this new kit comes to near full brightness--almost instantly.

Last edited by pilot2; 07-02-14 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 05:47 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

OEM HID is 4300k.

Do you have a picture of the cutoff?
Old 07-02-14, 07:18 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
OEM HID is 4300k. Do you have a picture of the cutoff?
Interesting that the OEM HID is 4300K, sort of a slight yellowish color. I do not have a picture of the cutoff, however, I can say the cutoff is not as perfect as I get with the OEM projector beams (with aftermarket HID installation) that are in my Toyota Solara. On the other hand, I am putting a lot of nice white light down the road with an alignment that does not annoy fellow motorists.
Old 07-02-14, 09:03 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What HID kit did you get?
Old 07-02-14, 09:03 AM
lexina
Driver

What HID kit did you get? Does it produce more heat then the holagen lamp?
Old 07-02-14, 09:12 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexina
What HID kit did you get? Does it produce more heat then the holagen lamp?
There is a link in my original message. This is only a 35watt kit, thus less heat then OEM 55watt halogen bulbs. That said, in retrospect, perhaps I should have purchased a 55watt kit for a few dollars more.

In buying inexpensive HID kits, I learned, the hard way, that you want a kit with waterproof ballasts.

BTW, total installation time, less than 5-minutes. I temporarily removed one bolt that secures windshield washer reservoir to make access to passenger side bulb easier.
Old 07-02-14, 09:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I've thought about getting an HID kit multiple times, but I don't want to cause a hazard on the road. If I ever do go HID on the RX, I'll buy a retrofit headlight with projectors. I've seen a few for $700 on eBay. But, at this point in the game... It's too late, already have 209k miles on the RX. It will see daily driver duty for another 3-4 years, and then will be a backup car from then on. No point in spending that kind of dough on lights.

I do enjoy the factory HID's on my ES. And, that's good enough for me! LOL
Old 07-02-14, 09:40 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Ive owned a few of the cheaper brand HID kids and I must say they are really NOT THAT bad when installed correctly. Truthfully, that same brand (I forget the name, could be xentec) was the only brand that when I called them with an issue I had (2 years later), they sent me a new set free of charge. and i had it going for another few years til I sold the car.

Ive noticed the only people who complain about quality if HID kits are people who dont take the time to install them properly or have them banging around in the engine bay and the ballast going due to the shock to it
Old 07-02-14, 04:32 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pilot2
BTW, total installation time, less than 5-minutes. ...
Really? It takes much longer to replace a bulb.....
Old 07-02-14, 04:42 PM
pilot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by kalali
Open hood,15-seconds, turn 9006 bulb and remove and seperate from connector, 45 seconds, insert new bulb, twist, plug in connector, 45 seconds, use adhesive pad to mount balast 45 seconds, plug connector into ballast 15 seconds. Repeat other side. In fairness, I have installed a half-dozen of these kits. But if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, YOU can do it. ;-)
Old 07-02-14, 04:44 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by hypervish
I've thought about getting an HID kit multiple times, but I don't want to cause a hazard on the road. If I ever do go HID on the RX, I'll buy a retrofit headlight with projectors. I've seen a few for $700 on eBay. But, at this point in the game... It's too late, already have 209k miles on the RX. It will see daily driver duty for another 3-4 years, and then will be a backup car from then on. No point in spending that kind of dough on lights.

I do enjoy the factory HID's on my ES. And, that's good enough for me! LOL
To do it perfectly, you will need level sensors too.

Salim
Old 07-03-14, 04:05 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by kalali
...I should mention, that the short time to install does not include the time to adjust how the bulbs are projecting as referenced in one of my prior posts--but that too should only take a few minutes.
Old 07-03-14, 06:35 AM
salimshah

This thread has the proof that even time is not a universal constant.

Salim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hid kit, $24.99