Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Wiring diagram for LED bumper help?

Old 06-29-14, 11:07 PM   #1
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Default Wiring diagram for LED bumper help?

I just picked up a pair of LED bumper lens for my RX but it didn't come with any diagram instructions on which wire is which, whether its for low voltage, high voltage when braking, etc. It came with four wires. Here's my guess:

BLACK Wire - Negative
WHITE Wire - Running Light
RED Wire - Bright Mode

Black Wire = Negative
Red Wire = Positive (Bright Mode)
Green Wire = Positive (Dim Mode)

I know that I need to use a voltage tester for the actual brake wires, but what do I test with on the actual lens?

Attached is the pic of the red/white/black stuck together and the green wire is separate. I think someone did it to their RX already.

Any help(s) would be greatly appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

HarrierRX300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 05:47 AM   #2
2KHarrier
Driver

Yeah, I just installed these about a month ago. I used my battery charger (set to 12 VDC) to test the output brightness for each LED. I only had 3 wires on mine. Red, White and Black. IIR, the Black was common (ground) and the Red was the stop lamp. White is the running lamp.

I tied them into the harness before it goes out to each tail lamp assembly in the trunk well.

If you have four wires, I don't have a clue as to what the Green wire is for? If that one is a ground, then there's 3 wires to handle 2 circuits..... Hmm..

Use volt/ohm meter to measure for resistance between each of the wires. See which show a complete circuit and which show an open. Then grab a 12 volt source and test each wire to see what the actual output is. I'm stumped as to why there's a 4th wire.
These don't have turn signal capabilities do they?
2KHarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 03:01 PM   #3
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Thanks for the tip. I emailed the seller but he hasn't responded. Will test the resistence..
Old 07-01-14, 11:24 PM   #4
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

I just looked at the ad from the seller and figured out what the green wire is. Apparently, these LED can either light up as red or white. The white should be the green wire. Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-02-14, 04:03 AM   #5
salimshah

There are some street-legal requirements when you are dealing with lights:

White light should emanate from a vehicle in the direction of motion .... if in the rear, then the vehicle should be backing up.

You wont believe home much of this and other requirements have to be fulfilled when a vehicle is allowed to be imported and sold.

Salim
salimshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 03:59 PM   #6
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info. I won't be using the white light wire at all. Just the red lights.
Old 07-02-14, 04:52 PM   #7
salimshah

Dont know how seriously these rules are adhered_to/applied.

Have you thought about connecting it to reverse?

Salim
salimshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 07:10 PM   #8
2KHarrier
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimshah View Post
Dont know how seriously these rules are adhered_to/applied.

Have you thought about connecting it to reverse?

Salim
Would be very easy to do that, actually. The loom is bundled together as it runs out to the lamp housing, so tying into the reverse circuit would be a snap...
Old 07-16-14, 01:49 AM   #9
HalRX300
Driver School Candidate

Warning!
I cracked the lens on my tail light and didn't pass inspection. A new Lexus tail light module was so expensive that I could buy a new set of led tail lights on eBay, which I did.

Installed and worked OK. Looked very cool.

Then my daughter was stopped by the police for no real reason.

Then I was stopped by the police because my tail lights were out.

I took the car to my Lexus repair place (not the dealer). Somehow the led tail lights had damaged my Lexus, very expensive, light monitoring computer. This is the one that measures the voltage to all your lights and sends the warning signal to your dash when one of them fails.

It was costly to replace - around $400 as I recall. They were able to buy a set of used but good tail lights from salvage at a really good price. I had thrown away the originals. Still, it was expensive. So, I had a VERY bad experience with led lighting on my RX300.

They seem to be a cop magnet for some reason and they might hurt your lighting computer.

Fair warning!
HalRX300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 03:01 PM   #10
2KHarrier
Driver

Hmm.. Interesting. I wonder what the amperage draw on the aftermarket LED tail lamps are, compared to the original incandescent lamps. The LED bumper lights are small, so I would have to assume the draw is minimal..
Old 07-16-14, 10:21 PM   #11
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Now I'm hesitant to wire it to the brake lights. Maybe I'll just tap in the parking lights (Green wire for dim) and not bother with the other wires. I'm hoping that this simple modification won't effect the warning indicator to your dash board if one light goes out.
Old 07-16-14, 10:21 PM

Tags
06, bumper, car, diagram, dyagam, is250, laxus, led, lexus, lighting, lights, tail, wiring