RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY : Flex Pipe Replacement

Old 06-27-14, 09:28 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default DIY : Flex Pipe Replacement

Hey all, my flex pipe has been leaking for quite sometime but Tuesday it decided to fail completely. Using a discount code at Advanced Auto Parts I was able to pick up the flex pipe and seals all for only $64.69. It beat RockAuto's price by close to $10 and I didn't have to wait for shipping.

I soaked all 4 bolts in WD-40 for 3 nights in a row. Each night I'd come out and spray the bolts down before going to bed. This worked out well as I didn't break a single bolt, which was my main concern.

You will need:
  1. WD-40 or PB Blaster
  2. Walker Flex Pipe - Part 53421
  3. Walker Exhaust Gasket - Part 31374
  4. Walker Exhaust Gasket - Part 31332
  5. 14MM or 9/16 Socket & Wrench
  6. 14MM or 9/16 Box End Wrench
  7. Optional But Recommended : Toyota # 90080-17187 (NUT for Rear Flex Pipe Connection)
  8. Optional But Recommended : Toyota # 91512-81035 (BOLT for Rear Flex Pipe Connection)
NOTE: The front nut looks to be welded to the flange, so I did not replace it or the bolt as they were in good enough condition.

Here's the old Flex Pipe, you can see where it broke:

First attack the rear bolts (14mm or 9/16), they are the most difficult to access. I had the most difficulty with the driver side rear bolt (the one with the socket on it):

Then go the front bolts (14mm or 9/16):

Here's the old nut on the rear flex pipe connection, there was just no way I was going to re-use this:

Comparing the old Flex Pipe to new Flex Pipe, ensuring proper fitment. As you can see they are exactly alike:

Gasket 31374 goes on the rear side, it's easiest to put the gasket onto this pipe first and then install it into place. I installed the rear side first, and then moved to the front:

Gasket 31332 goes on the front side, easiest to place it on the exhaust flange and then place the flex pipe onto it during installation:

Start the car up and check for leaks!
Old 06-27-14, 11:07 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I am glad you got the rusted bolts out of the old pipe.
Old 06-27-14, 01:41 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexina
Thanks for sharing. I am glad you got the rusted bolts out of the old pipe.
You're welcome!

Yep, i was extremely pleased that I didn't break any bolts. With my luck I was expecting at least two bolts to break. lol
Old 06-27-14, 03:01 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Good post. Generally the nut or the bolt is welded on Lexus exhausts. With that much rust it is hard to figure out which is welded.

Do add to the DIY please.

Salim
Old 06-27-14, 04:15 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Good post. Generally the nut or the bolt is welded on Lexus exhausts. With that much rust it is hard to figure out which is welded.

Salim
Using a wire cup brush attachment on my cordless drill helps me often to clean up any rust on exhaust parts and help identify those hidden surprise welded nuts.

Also another tip that works well on those frozen exhaust nuts/bolts is to spray them while the exhaust is warm. The micro-expanded bolts allow the penetrants to seep in the threads a little better.
PBblaster, Liquid wrench and used transmission fluid work well. I find WD40 the least effective as a penetrant.

@Hypervish..how many miles did you have on your RX before the flex joint blew out?
Old 06-27-14, 06:56 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Salim
Thanks for the reminder, will add now!
Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Using a wire cup brush attachment on my cordless drill helps me often to clean up any rust on exhaust parts and help identify those hidden surprise welded nuts.

Also another tip that works well on those frozen exhaust nuts/bolts is to spray them while the exhaust is warm. The micro-expanded bolts allow the penetrants to seep in the threads a little better.
PBblaster, Liquid wrench and used transmission fluid work well. I find WD40 the least effective as a penetrant.

@Hypervish..how many miles did you have on your RX before the flex joint blew out?
The flex pipe completely blew this Tuesday at 208,674 miles. It's been leaking for awhile, but very slightly. Hardly noticeable for maybe 10k miles.
Old 06-27-14, 08:12 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Nice information. Mine still looks pretty good, so I wonder if it was replaced at some time???
Old 06-28-14, 06:22 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job Hyper.
Old 06-29-14, 06:27 PM
BertNelson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great and seems a lot of work. I paid $40 to my local muffler shop and he cut the old one out and welded a new on in. I definitely see NO performance difference. Just sayin. I guess I just took the path of least resistance.

Last edited by BertNelson; 06-29-14 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 02:18 PM
mroxas
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I need to lube the gasket ?
Old 09-11-14, 05:41 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

very impressed with your photos, extremely clear and detailed....what did you use a camera or phone.?
Old 09-11-14, 06:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mroxas
Do I need to lube the gasket ?
No need to lube the gasket, just install it dry.

Originally Posted by thomas1
very impressed with your photos, extremely clear and detailed....what did you use a camera or phone.?
Thank you! I used my iPhone 5s to take all the shots.
Old 06-04-15, 06:32 PM
lexfromsac
Driver School Candidate

hypervish, this is a great DIY thread. Thanks for all the pictures. I just joined the forum due to this issue on our '99 RX300. Local Lexus dealer wanted $400+ to do the repair. I ordered the Walker 53421 flex pipe from Amazon. Picked up the two Lexus/Toyota gaskets and four bolts from the dealer this afternoon. But, forgot to ask for the two nuts for the rear bolts. Will get them tomorrow.

Did you use lock washers on the rear bolts or just flat washers? And for the front bolts, are there any lock nuts or lock washers used?

Thank you.
Old 06-04-15, 07:57 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Automotive industry has moved away from lock washers. The nuts and bolts have a large flat shoulder and when they are tightened per spec the flat surface provide enough friction to prevent unraveling. If there is no flat surface like the spring here then a flat washer and lock washer may be used.

When you go to Lexus parts, just ask the person behind the counter to show you the picture of parts. some of these parts may not be stocked and may take a day or two to bring them in.

Salim
Old 06-04-15, 10:59 PM
lexfromsac
Driver School Candidate

Automotive industry has moved away from lock washers. The nuts and bolts have a large flat shoulder and when they are tightened per spec the flat surface provide enough friction to prevent unraveling. If there is no flat surface like the spring here then a flat washer and lock washer may be used.

When you go to Lexus parts, just ask the person behind the counter to show you the picture of parts. some of these parts may not be stocked and may take a day or two to bring them in.

Salim
Thank you!

My first day as a member in this forum has been very beneficial. The posts in this thread, as well as some help from another member, thomas1, have me on the way to resolving a repair at a much lower cost than the Lexus dealer quoted. Thanks to all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY : Flex Pipe Replacement