RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil filter question...

Old 06-26-14, 06:08 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter question...

It has been suggested on the forum that the longer Lexus oil filter, 90915-YZZD3, for use on the V8 engines, is suitable for use on the RX300 and provides more filter media. Aside from being a bit longer with more filter media, does anyone know if the 90915-YZZD3 filter specifications are otherwise the same as the filter recommended for the RX300?
Old 06-26-14, 08:57 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

i think the filter media composition is the same and sourced from the same 3rd party for Toyota/Lexus.
However, using a longer filter may negate any gains from a standard sized recommended filter due to its proximity with the exhaust manifold on the RX300
Old 06-26-14, 09:06 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Proximity to the exhaust manifold is an interesting point...perhaps somebody here has been using the 90915-YZZD3 on the RX300 and will comment.

In the meantime, looking at oil filter cross reference charts, I see the 90915-YZZD3 (larger v8 engine filter) and the 90915-YZZD1 (RX300 engine filter) are both cross-referenced by Mobil to its MI-102 so presumably the thread, relief and drain-back valve configurations specifications are compatible.
Old 06-26-14, 09:10 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by pilot2
It has been suggested on the forum that the longer Lexus oil filter, 90915-YZZD3, for use on the V8 engines, is suitable for use on the RX300 and provides more filter media. Aside from being a bit longer with more filter media, does anyone know if the 90915-YZZD3 filter specifications are otherwise the same as the filter recommended for the RX300?
I am hearing this for the first time. Some members have used larger (longer) filter, but they independently made sure that it was a suitable substitute. Please post links to the thread where the interchangeable claim has been made.

Engineering deals with clearances/accessibility/intrusion_in_case_of_accidents etc and not just plumbing, rate_of_flow.

Salim
Old 06-26-14, 10:14 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
... Please post links to the thread where the interchangeable claim has been made....Salim
You can go to http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/ and cross reference the two filter numbers in the prior post and see that they take you to the same Mobil filter.

Last edited by pilot2; 06-26-14 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 10:28 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The filter is already difficult to remove by the average DIYer; I wouldn't want to make it any harder.
Old 06-26-14, 10:52 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by JAB
The filter is already difficult to remove by the average DIYer; I wouldn't want to make it any harder.
In another thread, someone commented that it is easier to remove the larger filter because there is more to grab-onto. Do not know if that is true or not as the RX300 is a "new" car for me and I have not done an oil change yet. Just trying to get my ducks-in-a-row.
Old 06-26-14, 11:41 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by pilot2
You can go to http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/ and cross reference the two filter numbers in the prior post and see that they take you to the same Mobil filter.
So it is not in CL. That does not mean it can't be done and now you are on your own to prove it.

Lexmex used to like the filter with a nut at the bottom. Larger capacity is nice, but the more important part is changing your oil regularly with good quality product. There are folks who go the extra mile to see where the OEM is manufactured and then there are some who replace the filter every other oil change [I am not one of them ]

Check the DIY thread. I have listed a tool that fits the OEM filter. Drain oil when engine has not cooled down, but do the filter with the engine and exhaust cooled down [if you want to reach from above].

Access is hard but extricating it with least amount of spill is the most difficult part for me as I remove and install it from top.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-26-14 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 12:31 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have owned my 99 RX since new and it now has 215K on it. In that time I have as a DIYer rebuilt the starter twice, replaced the valve cover gaskets and rear valve cover, changed spark plugs, done a complete suspension replacement, replaced the air mix servo, rebuilt a door lock actuator, replaced several O2 sensors, cleaned the IACV, rebuilt the charcoal emissions cannister, done countless brake jobs, changed air and cabin filters, installed a trailer hitch and wiring connection, and undoubtedly some things I have forgotten. In that same time I have done exactly one oil change - all the rest I have had my mechanic do. That should tell you something about how easy it is to change that damn oil filter.
Old 06-26-14, 01:08 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

FWIW, during my oil change on our 02 RX300 last week, i usually have enough grip to grab and spin off the filter from the bottom. In this case, the sealing ring must have cooked and made it a bit more challenging.

A 74.5mm oil filter wrench cap fits perfectly

If i used a larger than oem filter size it would have been more difficult to fit an oil filter wrench in the already limited space.
Old 06-26-14, 02:20 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, better filtering does not mean it is better. Better filtering means slow oil flowing, and oil could be flowing through bypass valve. Bigger oil filter means lower oil pressure.

If you lookup the original oil filter for the rx300, make in japan - sponge like looking vs US made paper like media type, as some had said the sponge type filter could be the cause to the oil clogging and sludge.

In any case, you don't need the best oil filter as long as you keep the oil change interval short enough in a normal driving condition. Same goes with air filter, more air flow means more dust; better filtering means less air flow. You can look this up too for air filter media comparison. These simple rules are for daily drivers; unless you have supply of such filter.

If I was a formula racer, I wouldn't need the best air filter, i get the lowest air filter that gives me the most air flow, or even no air filter as long as I can win the race, whether the engine will break in 20k miles, I wouldn't care much; same goes for the oil filter, i want the best oil flow filter, not the best filtering.
Old 06-26-14, 04:26 PM
BertNelson
Driver School Candidate

WHY WHY WHY wouldn't any one NOT use the K&N 2009 filter that is like an inch longer and has a 1 inch "nut" at the end where a socket or box end wrench EASILY fist and you remove the d*mn thing...well EASILY?! This has been discussed to death and I don't know why it's still a question. Is a "Lexus" filter REALLY better then a K&N filter? And how much does it really matter in a 10+ year old engine? And while I am in rant mode WHY must you change the oil filter, and burn yourself, as is always the complaint, because the engine is hot??? For years I have changed the filter when the engine is COLD. All the oil has by then drained into the oil pan from the filter. No burning anything and NO dripping oil,all over the engine. WHERE is is stated that the oil MUST be changed hot??? If you wait till EVERYTHING drains to the pan and change it when it's cold you don't get burned and NO huge mess. After 3,4, or 5000 miles the oils is thin as water anyway. And there isn't and still "stuck" in the engine or in the pan either. That's ridiculous. It's a car, not brain surgery.

Last edited by BertNelson; 06-26-14 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 05:16 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought so and used K&N before, but it is not worth the price of k&n $12/ea vs $3/ea using socket vs oil cap, no difference. This engine has the worst oil filter location that I'ved ever seen in any car. What a waste of time to remove all the bolts to remove the skidplate cover, and whatever you do, oil spill mess can't be avoided.

Here is a cheap oil filter with high quality for you to consider.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...34#post5317734
Old 06-26-14, 06:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm not sure why so many people are having a hard time removing the filter. I can have it out in under 2 minutes. Just need the right tool for the job (i.e. oil filter cap).
Old 06-26-14, 06:38 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I hate the filter on this car! My cap wrench gets stuck on the filter coming off and going back on.

My MDX is ridiculously easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil filter question...