RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

new member in need of help (codes)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-14, 05:39 AM
TrespasseR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member in need of help (codes)

Ok so i got this rx300 and drove it for maybe 200 miles it has 196k on it.

so far what ive done to the car:
all new plugs (found no.1 and 5 were full of oil) back of the motor the two outer plugs. middle one was fine.
replaced both knock sensors (OD rarely worked)
replaced valve cover gaskets.

still runs (barely) the exact same as before i fixed the gaskets minus the knock sensor code.

Now she idles, i can kind of rev it in P or N, i can barely get it to move. (driving is out of the question.)

current codes:
p0302 Cyl. 2 miss
po300 RDM Miss
p1305,15,25 Ignighter circuit malfunction no. 2,4,6
p0304 Cyl. 4 miss
p0171 System too lean B1.

the light is on and blinking when i try to drive it,it will just kind of sputter and kind of backfire in the intake. it will idle all day long.

i swapped out all the coils with the engine running i disconnected all three front coils (2,4,6) and plugged them in one at a time. and i can tell they are working no.2 is questionable but 4 and 6 are confirmed. but still getting no.2 and 4 miss.

now, what could i do to fix this? any help would be appreciated and im standing by to answer any questions the pros have for me. i got the car for $500 and have about 3 into it and would rather not buy anything else unless i can atleast drive the car around the yard.
Old 06-21-14, 06:24 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

So you bought yourself a project car

My concern with project cars is, owners tend to skimp on parts. Parts in question here are plugs. I hope you bought OE.

Have you tried swapping coils and does the problem move with it?

When you opened the valve cover, how was the visual? Nice and clean I hope.

How is the wiring harness and connectors?

Might as well do a compression test to gather more info.

Last word .. I hope you have realistic expectations when you bought the RX. Engine producing enough power to idle and run is just the basic part.

Salim

PS: valve cover gasket and knock sensors would have no impact on the problem you are/were facing. I would have focused on misfire.

Last edited by salimshah; 06-21-14 at 06:28 AM. Reason: ps
Old 06-21-14, 07:12 AM
TrespasseR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Welcome to Club Lexus.

So you bought yourself a project car

My concern with project cars is, owners tend to skimp on parts. Parts in question here are plugs. I hope you bought OE.

Have you tried swapping coils and does the problem move with it?

When you opened the valve cover, how was the visual? Nice and clean I hope.

How is the wiring harness and connectors?

Might as well do a compression test to gather more info.

Last word .. I hope you have realistic expectations when you bought the RX. Engine producing enough power to idle and run is just the basic part.

Salim

PS: valve cover gasket and knock sensors would have no impact on the problem you are/were facing. I would have focused on misfire.
Well the person I got it from is the original owner and always brought it to Lexus dealer so I figured she was a gf of my dads for awhile I thought 500 for a Lexus np I can sell it right now for more than that but me kind of liking this suv , I'd much rather fix it and get another 10k out of it.

As for plugs I did not get om ,but not the cheapest they had.

The valves were clean little tarnished but clean.

The coils don't effect the miss. Stays with the first two missing but all three have igniter codes comming up.

When I was able to drive it and ran codes the two full of oil were missing and a knock sensor. I've read multiple threads from various sites stating fix your knock sensor fixes your overdrive issue. The knock sensor seems to be common for these motors. Haven't been able to test