RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Opinions on Techron Fuel Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 02:10 PM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Opinions on Techron Fuel Cleaner?

I'm not familiar with Techron Fuel Injector cleaner that was recently mentioned in another thread, and thought I'd get some opinions or advice on it. Should I be treating my gas with it occasionally to keep things clean? There are some amazing testimonials about it on Amazon.

Last edited by jimbug; 06-17-14 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 02:20 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The fuel cleaners typically have kerosine which ends up in your oil.

I would follow up with an oil change. So roughly 300 miles before an oil change is due add the cleaner. Consume the gas till the warning light is lit, fill up gas and then get an oil change.

If you get gas from reputable source [the big 2 or 3] you are getting a fuel cleaner additives. You should not be needing to reach out for extra additives.

Salim
Old 06-17-14, 02:35 PM
jimbug
Driver

Thanks Salim!! I've been using Speedway gas which is owned by Marathon. If I decide to treat my gas with Techtron I'll use your method Salim. One of the best reviews had suggested to use it with each oil change so that would be a good way to do it.
Old 06-17-14, 03:07 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Techron Concentrate Plus is the one you want to get, probably the best fuel injector cleaner on the market. I also like Redline SL-1 and Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant + Fuel Cleaner. But Techron is preferred most on BITOG.

I'd use it once every year, or whenever you remember. LOL
Old 06-18-14, 05:27 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a good preventive additive and I've been using it for many many years on many different cars and FI bikes. I follow the routine Salim has outlined above. All I can say is I have never had to replace a single injector or any other fuel system component in any of the cars, ever. Can't be certain if Techron gets all the credit but it has not hurt for sure.
Old 06-18-14, 12:42 PM
jimbug
Driver

Thanks guys!! I had an appointment today to have my oil changed and I asked the shop owner and he had good things to say about Techron too. I'll add it to my maintenance schedule and probably do it just before my next oil change in 5k. Does it also clean the throttle body?

I just had the regular oil and filter change $36.95, but thinking about paying $20 extra to have the synthetic oil change going forward. This vehicle has a history of Mobil 1 use as those stickers are on engine. He can do the Mobil 1 for the extra amount I believe. Not sure if it makes a difference when changing every 5k.
Old 06-18-14, 02:11 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by jimbug
Thanks guys!! I had an appointment today to have my oil changed and I asked the shop owner and he had good things to say about Techron too. I'll add it to my maintenance schedule and probably do it just before my next oil change in 5k. Does it also clean the throttle body?

I just had the regular oil and filter change $36.95, but thinking about paying $20 extra to have the synthetic oil change going forward. This vehicle has a history of Mobil 1 use as those stickers are on engine. He can do the Mobil 1 for the extra amount I believe. Not sure if it makes a difference when changing every 5k.
Only fumes get into the air intake so the intake is not necessarily cleaned by the fuel additive alone.

I would have suggested to remain with Mobil1, going back to dino after being on Mobil1 can impact rubber seals. But that is another thread. You will find plenty of those discussion dino vs synthetic.

Salim
Old 06-19-14, 09:33 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you get gas from reputable source [the big 2 or 3] you are getting a fuel cleaner additives. You should not be needing to reach out for extra additives.

Salim
Agreed on this point, pick a high turnover brand name gas station. IMO, off the shelf injector cleaners are a waste of money. Fuel injector services go for $20 per injector for full sonic cleaning, flow testing, including replaceables..ie o-rings. Obviously it might be labor intensive for the DIY'er.

Originally Posted by salimshah
The fuel cleaners typically have kerosine which ends up in your oil.

I would follow up with an oil change. So roughly 300 miles before an oil change is due add the cleaner. Consume the gas till the warning light is lit, fill up gas and then get an oil change.

Fuel system cleaners contain other solvents like xylene or toulene that are mixed into your fuel, anything that is not combusted and goes past your rings will go into the oil. Depending on the amount of blowby a motor has, it is consistently contaminating the oil with unburned fuel/fuel additives. An oil change really isnt necessary unless one is due.

If a fuel system cleaner is used as a top end cleaner, an oil change is highly suggested.

on another note, oil flushes which are kerosine, cuts down the oil viscosity. Oil changes are a necessity if an oil flush product is used.

If top end, oil flushing, and fuel injector cleaning are of interest...then probably best to do all of the services right before a scheduled oil change to save time and oil

Last edited by fastnoypi; 06-19-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-19-14, 10:30 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by jimbug
Salim,

Have just owned this 2002 RX300 for six months, and it looks like previous one owner used Mobil 1. Lexus dealer I purchased from didn't use Mobil 1 when they did the 90k service before I bought it but a synthetic blend oil. Now I just changed and didn't pay extra for Mobil 1, so they used Valvoline regular oil. Would it be OK in your opinion to use Mobil 1 in my next oil change and going forward? Thanks, Jim
Jim:
I dont want to hijack the fuel cleaner thread and make it an oil thread. Please revive an existing oil thread or create a new one. Brief answer is if you have been using synthetic for long, stay synthetic. Blends can work in a pinch.

Salim