RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hesitation and Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 06:23 PM
citycruzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so maybe I spoke a little too fast..

I'm writing this update in the interest of providing data for those of us experiencing this issue.

Well everything that I said about the problem being solved after adding the "fuel injector cleaner" was accurate. However, after my wife took the car on a 600 mile round trip drive, the problem appeared again. It drove like a brand new car for the 300 miles out. But when she started the car the next morning, it started bucking and hesitating like before...and, this time the check engine light flashed again. She drove it home and it had lots of power and no signs of trouble but it is definitely doing the hesitation and rough idle thingy again.

I connected my scanner but apparently even though the check engine light was flashing, it didn't store a code. However, it does seem to be failing one of the emmisions test. the "EV" icon continies to vlink on my Innova 3100a scanner.

I'm thinking I have to clean that IAVC ? thing now and maybe replace the A/F sensor. Oh well! guess I'm still debugging this bugger
Old 06-20-14, 09:35 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by citycruzer
Okay so maybe I spoke a little too fast..

I'm writing this update in the interest of providing data for those of us experiencing this issue.

Well everything that I said about the problem being solved after adding the "fuel injector cleaner" was accurate. However, after my wife took the car on a 600 mile round trip drive, the problem appeared again. It drove like a brand new car for the 300 miles out. But when she started the car the next morning, it started bucking and hesitating like before...and, this time the check engine light flashed again. She drove it home and it had lots of power and no signs of trouble but it is definitely doing the hesitation and rough idle thingy again.

I connected my scanner but apparently even though the check engine light was flashing, it didn't store a code. However, it does seem to be failing one of the emmisions test. the "EV" icon continies to vlink on my Innova 3100a scanner.

I'm thinking I have to clean that IAVC ? thing now and maybe replace the A/F sensor. Oh well! guess I'm still debugging this bugger
Please do not take actions out of desperation ... IACV is for idle only. Nothing to do with emission directly. It can be failing injector. A trained mechanic can sound it out.

Salim
Old 06-20-14, 10:19 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by citycruzer
boy! It really pays to start with the inexpensive fixes first. Put a whole bottle of Techron in the tank and did not even make it three blocks before the problem started clearing up.

Took it for a drive on the freeway and its getting better and better. Hardly hear or feel it idle and when the A/C kicks in, it hardly effects the rpms.

Case closed!
Lol!!
"Now if you know anything about working on your own vehicles..."
Well is hate to say I told ya so, but.... I told ya so... Yea that stuff makes the cars run all dandy while it's in your tank... Believe me I don't disagree, all that stuff is, is octane booster lol I swear... Now, if you do want to take a more practical approach, I'd clean that throttle body/Idle air control valve, (IACV)/IAC, and go from there... As well as the MAFS.. Why not.. Sounds like the issue is very common with the RX, as the GS, like the TPS going bad, but this cars got a IACV
Old 06-24-14, 04:05 PM
citycruzer
Driver School Candidate

GS - I still stand by what I said... and in general it's a good thing not to jump to conclusions "Oh yea, lol!!! 2 posts, this being them, this guys a rep for sure.." or take expensive labor/parts type actions first. For example, by your immediate response that I was a rep when I I was only seeking assistance and providing data, could lead a person to think you were an A****. Not saying you are.. just saying that I can't judge whether you are or not by one post of yours. Nor would I make that type of mistake. You would have to give me more proof than that! ;-)

Moving on.. So, the car is now throwing codes that are somewhat helpful. I was suspecting it was a sensor just because of the way the symptoms were.. not a mechanical type issue were the failure is persistent. Now it is throwing

"P1150 air/fuel sensor circuit, range performance malfunction, bank 2 sensor 1)"

Can someone tell me where the location of this sensor is please?

thanks!

"Oh yea, lol!!! 2 posts, this being them, this guys a rep for sure.."
Old 06-24-14, 04:21 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

It's the air fuel sensor by the radiator. Everything you need to know is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...el-sensor.html

You want Denso parts nothing else.
Old 06-25-14, 03:40 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Lucky you. It's the easiest of the three to replace. Invest in a socket, its worth it.