RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I need instant feedback on broken transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 04:19 PM
jonathanrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need instant feedback on broken transmission

Option 1:
Lexus dealership for $4800. Completed in one day (doubtful, they gave me a loaner)
1 year unlimited miles warranty

Option 2:
Independent shop for $4300. Completed in 3-7 business days.
3 year unlimited mils warranty

Which one!?

Thanks!
Jonathan
Old 06-12-14, 04:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Lexus will probably throw in a remanufactured transmission, does it have the upgraded parts?

The independent shop sounds like they will be rebuilding it, are they using upgraded parts?
Old 06-12-14, 04:38 PM
jonathanrn
Driver School Candidate

My problem is that a few days ago, it stopped shifting into 3rd, then later that day it wouldn't even shift into second consistently. If I leave it at 3krpm for about 10-15 seconds, it usually changes into 3rd. The problem is worse when the car is warm. The shifting is also "hard", meaning it does one "buck" when it changes gears. I'm not a mechanic. Does that sound 'Ike the transmission needs to be replaced?

Both shops say they will use remanufactured transmissions. Lexus said they will use a part that is "overhauled by Lexus". There are no upgraded parts.
Old 06-12-14, 04:45 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Due to the age of 1st gen RX's , they've depreciated to bottom. I'd go with the Option #2, IF the shop is reputable about honoring their warranties.
Old 06-12-14, 06:25 PM
jonathanrn
Driver School Candidate

The dealer did the workup and I just got back from picking it up. Well now it IS changing gears! The shift is still a little rough, but it didn't miss a shift the whole way home. Could that mean I don't need to replace the transmission? Maybe a good flush will do? What do you think?
Old 06-12-14, 07:02 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thats expensive and I thought lexus are reliable
Old 06-13-14, 05:26 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before going the rebuild route, what codes do you have? Anything for the transmission?

If it were me, I would clean and inspect ALL grounds. Remove, clean and swap both the speed sensors. Then trans filter and new a Toyota T-IV fluid. Case at any dealer will run you 80 bucks. If you need to know, the drain plug is 10mm hex.

There two grounds, with wires to the fender. There are two sets on each fender. Remove them, clean all ALL all A L L the contact points with a wire brush or whatever. I cannot stress that enough.

There is a big ground under the battery tray for the negative terminal. Remove that too, clean it.

The last ground that I know of, is behind the motor near the firewall. It's from the main harness, up where the O2 sensor plugs in. Just remove the part on the firewall, clean it.

It's about 2 - 3 hours and will cost you 90 bucks. Worth the time.

In my opinion ALL cars are good. It's just who owned it before you. I've had the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the infamous 545RFE transmission. RAN GREAT until I sold it at 200K.
Old 06-13-14, 05:32 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Rx300 for it's day was a great vehicle, way ahead of it's time.

All kinds of air bags, fits car seats in the back, great fuel economy (even today) !

The newest one is 11 years old. They are getting old. You can pick up a low miles driveline off eBay for 1000.00. Then the air tools and good craigslist compressor for another 700.

Do it yourself. 4300 to me is BER (beyond economical repair).
Old 06-13-14, 07:04 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathanrn
The dealer did the workup and I just got back from picking it up. Well now it IS changing gears! The shift is still a little rough, but it didn't miss a shift the whole way home. Could that mean I don't need to replace the transmission? Maybe a good flush will do? What do you think?
Don't bother with flush, it will not fix problem....
Old 06-13-14, 08:27 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Flushes can cause problems, also, by dislodging dirt that goes on to bung up solenoids, etc. If the transmission fluid has never been changed, do a drain and fill and see if that helps.

$4000+ is a lot to pay to repair the car. You may be able to get $2500 for it in its present condition and upgrade to a newer 2nd gen RX330/350.
Old 06-13-14, 10:06 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jonathanrn
What did the dealer do? Not sure what you mean by they did the workup.
Old 06-13-14, 10:54 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

With no transmission codes, it HAS to be a ground. Somewhere in there.
Old 06-13-14, 01:32 PM
jonathanrn
Driver School Candidate

There was an old oxygen sensor code that was stored, but nothing current and nothing involving the transmission.

I'm not exactly sure what the dealer did to diagnose it. He was pretty vague. He said that he checked the codes, drove it around, and knows "from experience" that the transmission needs to be replaced.

I'll get a few hours to myself on Father's Day to work on it. I will follow Jim's recommendations and simply drain and refill the transmission fluid. On my way to work this morning, it was able to shift 100% of the time and with the exception of a few of the shift being "rough" (where there was a small 'buck'), the trip was a success.

I'll report back early next week. Thank you all!!!!

Jonathan
Old 06-13-14, 02:49 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Trade it in while it's still running!

Old 06-14-14, 07:55 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Clean those grounds too. I kept getting P0778. My trans shifted REAL rough. Around 5000 RPM, WHAM! Into 2nd!!

Removed, cleaned all grounds. Problem solved. Getting 2mpg better as well.

Quick Reply: I need instant feedback on broken transmission