RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clunking after brake job

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 02:17 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking after brake job

I just replaced all 4 rotors and pads on our 2003 RX300 with Duralast Gold C+ (some Autozone Ceramic pads) and Duralast rotors. I got everything changed and then went for a test drive, during which I found a clunking noise coming from the RIGHT FRONT wheel. I thought it was a loose caliper, so I took the wheel off, made sure that the caliper pins were cleaned and greased and reassembled everything. NO change in the noise coming from the right front, and my wife's car was NOT making this noise prior to the brake job.

My next plan was to take both front wheels off again and swap the pads to see if it fixed it or if the noise changed sides.

Any ideas from the brain trust?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-12-14, 02:24 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Sticking piston? Does it only make the noise when you apply the brakes or once when you back off them?
Old 06-12-14, 02:42 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

The noise only occurs during moderate braking while driving forward. No noise while driving normally, under light braking, or even under light/moderate braking in reverse.
Old 06-12-14, 03:11 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Dumb question, but there's no chance this noise is emanating from the rear, correct?

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 06-12-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 03:51 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

I thought it was the RIGHT FRONT so I had my wife sit in the passenger seat while I drove around the neighborhood...she's "pretty sure" it was the right front. Long story short, I'm 99% sure it's the right FRONT

(the caps aren't for yelling, I just got in the habit of capitalizing words that changed management)
Old 06-12-14, 03:59 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

double check your lugs if they are torqued down correctly. If the rotor hat isn't completely flush against the hub, it can clunk.
Old 06-12-14, 04:22 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Update: I took off both front wheels, lubed everything up and swapped the brake pads (FR and FL). I tightened all the caliper bolts and torqued the lug nuts to 76lbs (star pattern).

So it's not the pads... dumb idea, but I wanted to see if the noise would switch sides.

The clunking under moderate braking is still there (I retried in reverse and it's also there). So I'm kind of at a loss...

I'm no automotive master mind but I'm thinking it's:

1) A stuck piston (front RIGHT), however, when I took it off the piston was out as much, or nearly as much as the front LEFT (which was not much do to the brand new pads).

2) Loose brake pad slots (metal housings that the pads sit in...I brushed them and greased them, but didn't use much grease in fear that it would end up on the rotors).

3) Possible warped rotor from Autozone - I'll rotate the swap the front two rotors in the morning

Last edited by alaskaty; 06-12-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-13-14, 09:41 AM
alaskaty
Pole Position

UPDATE:

From the initial clunking/binding (no metallic screeching) sound I have swapped (from the FRONT RIGHT to the FRONT LEFT) the new pads, new rotors, portion of the caliper that holds the pads, and the wheels/tires.

The clunking/binding continues to come from the FRONT RIGHT.

The only part that wasn't swapped out was the hub and main caliper/piston portion. Because the sound ONLY occurs during moderate braking, I'd have to assume it's the caliper/piston that's gone south (despite the fact that it appears fine and the piston has moved out each time I dig back into these damn brakes).
Old 06-13-14, 01:09 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

I took the RX into a Lexus/Toyota shop (not the dealership) and the guy took it for a test drive and said I must have gotten some grease on the pads or rotors.

I told him I swapped the pads and rotors R -> L, but the sound stayed on the right, and he still thought that's what happened.

I tried to be mindful when changing the brakes not to get grease on the rotors or pads, but I suppose it's possible that grease from a glove or from the metallic slides the pads sit in got transferred to the pads/rotors.

The car stops just fine, but still makes the clunking/binding sound (only under moderate braking). He said I should get new pads and rotors, but if I wanted I could try sanding the pads with 200 grit paper and getting the rotors machined.
Old 06-13-14, 01:18 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't think you should install yet another new set of pads and rotors.

Have you tried bleeding the front right caliper? Just to ensure that fluid is flowing properly.
Old 06-13-14, 03:57 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same thing happen with a set of the same exact pads.

The sound was the pad "skipping" over the rotor instead of grabbing smoothly. It would grab and lose grip then grab and lose grip...ect (all happening VERY fast)

I bought Akebono pads (OEM) from Rockauto and my problem was sole forever.

Never again will I buy those pads again for any vehicle.
Old 06-13-14, 05:58 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I should mention that in the past I've had Duralast Gold C-Max pads on the front with Duralast Gold rear pads on my RX with Duralast rotors. I didn't really like them, dust wasn't an issue though. The pads always deposited material onto the rotor causing a "warped" rotor sensation. Had them replaced under warranty for free though and used the second pair till they were worn as well. So not a terrible option, but I'm loving the Akebono pads & napa rotors setup I have now.
Old 06-13-14, 06:04 PM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest you check the temperature coming off the rotors after this noise happens. It could be that the caliper piston is stuck and either doing more work (or less) than the others.

Some other thoughts, have someone check the rotor for warpage with the appropriate tool. I forget what the acceptable tolerance is, but it might be causing the noise. Make sure the shims are on the back of the pads or you'll get a chattering noise. If one of the caliper clips is missing, this may also make noise.
Old 06-14-14, 07:19 AM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
I don't think you should install yet another new set of pads and rotors.

Have you tried bleeding the front right caliper? Just to ensure that fluid is flowing properly.
I bled the brakes (LR, RR, LF, RF) at the time of the brake job, but It wouldn't be a bad idea to rebleed them.

Originally Posted by Erics99RX
I had the same thing happen with a set of the same exact pads.

The sound was the pad "skipping" over the rotor instead of grabbing smoothly. It would grab and lose grip then grab and lose grip...ect (all happening VERY fast)

I bought Akebono pads (OEM) from Rockauto and my problem was sole forever.

Never again will I buy those pads again for any vehicle.
This sounds exactly like what's happening. Where were you when I never asked for recommendations on pads!

Originally Posted by hypervish
I should mention that in the past I've had Duralast Gold C-Max pads on the front with Duralast Gold rear pads on my RX with Duralast rotors. I didn't really like them, dust wasn't an issue though. The pads always deposited material onto the rotor causing a "warped" rotor sensation. Had them replaced under warranty for free though and used the second pair till they were worn as well. So not a terrible option, but I'm loving the Akebono pads & napa rotors setup I have now.
That's the exact same setup I just installed, top 'o the line autozone craporama.

Originally Posted by timmui
I would suggest you check the temperature coming off the rotors after this noise happens. It could be that the caliper piston is stuck and either doing more work (or less) than the others.

Some other thoughts, have someone check the rotor for warpage with the appropriate tool. I forget what the acceptable tolerance is, but it might be causing the noise. Make sure the shims are on the back of the pads or you'll get a chattering noise. If one of the caliper clips is missing, this may also make noise.
I don't have an IR thermometer, which would be a great idea to look for a stuck piston. I didn't think it was a warped rotor because I swapped the two sides and the noise stayed FRONT RIGHT. The shims are in place (they come fused to the pads), and they seem to fit snuggly into the metal clips.

I bought some Brake Kleen and I'm going to take everything off once more, clean every component and lightly scuff the pads. While I have the front wheels off, I'll look for any signs of damage from the clunking/binding noise that may point to a culprit and then I'll bleed the line to see if any bubbles are present.

On that note, I've been using the one man brake bleeder from Autozone (sounds like I'm a rep from all the purchasing I've done from them) and it seems to work fine, but has anyone had bad experience from it, ie: letting air back into the system.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=46839_0_0_
Old 06-14-14, 07:45 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It didn't have the clunking noise with the previous pads and rotor setup?

Quick Reply: Clunking after brake job