RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replaced starter contacts - $500?

Old 06-17-14, 01:51 PM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Lesson learned plus a pretty fair rebate, and the best thing is your starter should be good for a number of years if not for life of vehicle. Thanks for sharing as it builds our knowledge and expectations.
Old 06-17-14, 03:09 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It was nice of them to refund you some money, I did not expect that to be honest. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.
Old 06-18-14, 05:08 PM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobk528
As a update and finality to my unpleasant situation, I read all the feedback from the forum and later talked to others about the outrageous cost of a fairly simple repair.

I emailed the service manager and general manager and after I was able to have a telephone conversation with the right person, the dealership agreed to refunding me $150 and I said let's make it $200 and call it good. He agreed.

While many will still say $300 to replace the starter contacts is really a rip-off, I am fine with the price as I certainly learned a lesson. My wife suggested that I go back to working on the cars by myself on the weekend. I am at a point in my life and age where I don't mind taking the cars to an independent mechanic or dealership as long as the costs are reasonable, the place is trustworthy, and I am treated well as a long term customer.

However, after this latest episode at the dealership left a bad taste in my mouth, I decide never to return to this particular dealership and spent some time watching some YouTube DIY on cleaning the IACV and replacing the air mode servo motor. Cleaning the IACV was not too difficult. When I have some free weekend time, I plan to remove the glove compartment and find the servo motor that is making that annoying and constant clicking sound and will order the replacement part online.

If the dealership would had simply charged me a fair and reasonable price, I would not be writing in this forum and would have gladly returned for other professional services. It was such a convenient place - too bad.
I'm glad they were willing to refund part of the cost to repair the starter. My last experience with the local Lexus stealership, the service manager pretty much admitted that the service writer tried to drum up the final bill with unnecessary charges. I won't entertain purchasing another Lexus from that dealership after that experience. As that great english saying goes: Penny wise, pound foolish.

Let them know you're dissatisfied by taking your money elsewhere.