RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replaced starter contacts - $500?

Old 06-02-14, 10:51 PM
Bobk528
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced starter contacts - $500?

Over the weekend, my 2000 RX300 with 171,000 miles took three to four turns or clicks before it started. I took it into a local Toyota dealership on a Sunday afternoon and they quoted me $160 to perform a diagnostic evaluation. I have a independent mechanic but he is not open on weekends.

The Toyota dealership determined that the starter contacts were corroded and needed replacement. The service advisor said it would cost $500. I needed use of my car on Monday and since the RX will be 15 years old in November and had no major issues, I decided to have it done.

When I picked the RX, the bill came out to $499.96. How convenience. The bill showed $32.15 for the parts (28226-72010 Starter kit and 28226-64370 Kit repair serv) and $465 for labor.

If the Toyota mechanic removed the starter to replace the contacts and reinstalled it, and at $160 per hour, it took the mechanic 2.9 hours?

When I asked why they didn't simply replace the starter at that price and given the age of the car, they said it would cost an additional $300 and that a Toyota starter will generally last forever.

I know I paid too much but how much?
Old 06-03-14, 01:05 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobk528
Over the weekend, my 2000 RX300 with 171,000 miles took three to four turns or clicks before it started. I took it into a local Toyota dealership on a Sunday afternoon and they quoted me $160 to perform a diagnostic evaluation. I have a independent mechanic but he is not open on weekends.

The Toyota dealership determined that the starter contacts were corroded and needed replacement. The service advisor said it would cost $500. I needed use of my car on Monday and since the RX will be 15 years old in November and had no major issues, I decided to have it done.

When I picked the RX, the bill came out to $499.96. How convenience. The bill showed $32.15 for the parts (28226-72010 Starter kit and 28226-64370 Kit repair serv) and $465 for labor.

If the Toyota mechanic removed the starter to replace the contacts and reinstalled it, and at $160 per hour, it took the mechanic 2.9 hours?

When I asked why they didn't simply replace the starter at that price and given the age of the car, they said it would cost an additional $300 and that a Toyota starter will generally last forever.

Sorry to say it but you got hosed royally. I have done that job myself. It is very easy and should not take a skilled mechanic more than 30 mins, max. Bet it can be done in 15 mins.
Old 06-03-14, 03:20 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have done mine twice. I think a reasonable labor charge would have been 1.5 hours.

Last edited by JAB; 06-03-14 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-14, 03:23 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

This is just a terrible story. It just confirms why I do almost everything myself.

Next time come here first and save yourself a pile of money. Every mechanic at that garage could have told you what that click was without a $160 diagnostic. Just search this forum for 'clicking' and you'll find it too.

I worked in a garage for a while. For every task they consult the 'labor hours' manual. In your case I guess it says 2.9 hours, which sounds insane. If there are multiple jobs they sum up the hours. I've seen them do it even when the jobs are related, like getting charged labor for changing the AC belt even though you are doing a timing belt as well. Above that they may charge in time increments, like round up to the next hour or half hour. I'm sure that's why a diagnostic is $160.

For many jobs there is the textbook way to do it which on paper takes 2 hours, and the real way it is done which takes 15 minutes. A big hammer and a pry bar are your friend. Don't waste time taking out or putting back all fasteners. Mechanics love jobs that have a high labor cost but really take very little time. It boosts take-home pay a lot.

I'm waiting for the class action lawsuit because I think it is a scam to charge for 3 hours when it takes 30 minutes. Sign me up.
Old 06-03-14, 06:08 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would go back and talk to the general manager, those labor charges are completely out of bed. It takes less than a hour to replace the entire starter as you said. I would ask for an adjustment in price.
Old 06-03-14, 06:19 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Ask another Lexus/Toyota dealer what the actual book rate charges for this job. Its possible they are charging the max rate, vs actual time.
Even if you can do a the job in a 1/2 hour, legally by book rate they can charge you the max hours stated per industry practice. I try to do everything myself if possible because i think its a scam, but sometimes my time is worth more.
Old 06-03-14, 07:12 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobk528

Totally ripoff.
Old 06-03-14, 08:19 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

I see number of problems.

1. 160 for diagnosis ... typically 80-100 to be applied to repair
2. You agreeing to 500.
3. 2.9 hrs of labor. Did they do some thing else? RX starter is easy to get to (GS is about 8 hrs) .. [I think it should be upto 2hrs] Some avid DIYers can do it in less

I would call around and ask a few shops including lexus about labor time (hours by the book) for contact replacement. See if they all agree on a number and you can then discuss with Service manager.

Also check if you are given credit for diagnosis .... this can vary but has to be based on your conversation/understanding when you dropped off the vehicle.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-03-14 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 10:12 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What?!?! That's OUTRAGEOUS for at newest 11 year old car. I bought a new ons from NAPA for 100!!!
Old 06-03-14, 05:13 PM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This was the first thing I had to fix on my daughter's 2001 RX300 w/74k a month after buying it. It was six years ago and I got a friend/mechanic to do the work for free and the contact plus plunger were less than $20. I think it took an hour including running to auto parts store to get contact kit.

Sorry you had to pay so much labor. Parts seem about the right price. Maybe, this can serve as a motivation to seek and find an auto repair center that has lower labor rates. I also prefer an auto repair center that I can speak to ahead of time about the service and costs. Some local newspapers have Best of the Best contests for each business type. That's how I found my auto repair center.

When buying my 2002 RX300 w/88k in January I tried to get the Lexus dealer I purchased it from to put new contacts on the starter as a precaution. They were already doing a full 90k service plus a few extra things. BUT, they couldn't do it, as all they ever do at this dealership is replace the starter. They don't even stock the parts to rebuild starters. I've found this to be the SOP at most Toyota and Lexus dealerships.

It's really strange behavior from the dealerships as this starter is known to last forever. It's used on many vehicle models including Honda and Dodge. All it ever needs is new contacts it seems.

Last edited by jimbug; 06-03-14 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 06:17 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I replaced my contacts at about 120K or so; then redid the contacts at about 210K and also replaced the plunger.
Old 06-06-14, 10:39 AM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw $500 for the starter motor! Autozone charged me $179 plus tax for a starter motor with life time replacement, which I installed myself on my ES when I was still in college. Since then, I've had two free replacements of the starter motor (though one of them, the starter was still mostly working if noisy).

First, time it took me 90 minutes because I had to figure out how to get the motor out without a service manual. Each time after, it took me only 45 minutes! An experienced mechanic shouldn't need more time than I did to swap one. I can't imagine any other reason for why they replaced the contacts instead except to take you for a ride.
Old 06-17-14, 12:10 AM
Bobk528
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a update and finality to my unpleasant situation, I read all the feedback from the forum and later talked to others about the outrageous cost of a fairly simple repair.

I emailed the service manager and general manager and after I was able to have a telephone conversation with the right person, the dealership agreed to refunding me $150 and I said let's make it $200 and call it good. He agreed.

While many will still say $300 to replace the starter contacts is really a rip-off, I am fine with the price as I certainly learned a lesson. My wife suggested that I go back to working on the cars by myself on the weekend. I am at a point in my life and age where I don't mind taking the cars to an independent mechanic or dealership as long as the costs are reasonable, the place is trustworthy, and I am treated well as a long term customer.

However, after this latest episode at the dealership left a bad taste in my mouth, I decide never to return to this particular dealership and spent some time watching some YouTube DIY on cleaning the IACV and replacing the air mode servo motor. Cleaning the IACV was not too difficult. When I have some free weekend time, I plan to remove the glove compartment and find the servo motor that is making that annoying and constant clicking sound and will order the replacement part online.

If the dealership would had simply charged me a fair and reasonable price, I would not be writing in this forum and would have gladly returned for other professional services. It was such a convenient place - too bad.
Old 06-17-14, 06:49 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Good for you, our feet do the talking after a poor experience.
Old 06-17-14, 10:15 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

At least they tried to make up.

Salim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced starter contacts - $500?