RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is this the CD changer cable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 10:30 PM
axelfox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the CD changer cable? Update: Yes it is, with pics

Updated: Yes, it is the CD changer cable. I bought the BT-3 and installed it. See below for more pictures

Hello, I just got my RX300.

I want to add the GROM BT3 bluetooth adapter to my car. All of the instructions say to unplug the CD changer cable from the CD changer.

Unfortunately, my model did not come with the CD changer. However, the documentation says that it is pre-wired for a CD changer. But I don't really know what the cable looks like.

After watching some videos and looking at the harness, I think I have it but I'm not 100% sure.

Here is what I think the CD changer cable is. It's plug into something blue, I guess so it's not hanging freely. There are no other wires coming out the backside. It's coming from the wires that are wrapped in foam.

Is this the CD changer cable?-rx300-cd1.jpg

After the plug is pulled out

Is this the CD changer cable?-rx300-cd.jpg

What do you think?

edit: looks like the images aren't showing up in the thread. If you click they should open, however.

edit 2: holy smokes the images appear huge

Update: I purchased the Grom BT-3, and it works great (except some popping).

Just like hypervish's DIY, except here just pull out the cable from the blue plug in the picture, and install as usual.

I ran the mic across the top where the roof meets the front window, and then ran it across this pillar.
Is this the CD changer cable?-2014-05-31-16.15.09.jpg

I just stuffed the box in the spot because I wanted to keep my glove box free from wires.
Is this the CD changer cable?-2014-05-31-16.23.06.jpg

Last edited by axelfox; 06-01-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-26-14, 11:37 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by axelfox

I want to add the GROM BT3 bluetooth adapter to my car. All of the instructions say to unplug the CD changer cable from the CD changer.

Unfortunately, my model did not come with the CD changer. However, the documentation says that it is pre-wired for a CD changer. But I don't really know what the cable looks like.

After watching some videos and looking at the harness, I think I have it but I'm not 100% sure.

Here is what I think the CD changer cable is. It's plug into something blue, I guess so it's not hanging freely. There are no other wires coming out the backside. It's coming from the wires that are wrapped in foam.

Attachment 330499

Attachment 330500

What do you think?

edit: looks like the images aren't showing up in the thread. If you click they should open, however.

Nop. Which year the RX you have? Are you sure you don't have CD changer? Can you open globe box and have a look left top side?
Old 05-27-14, 07:29 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

When any one talks about cable there are two ends.

So the there are two connectors that you are dealing with ... one on the receiver (center console) and one on the CD player.

Typically the two ends are the same, but I have not crawled through the schematics to confirm it. Gazi001 can you please comment on this. Thanks

Here is a giant leap:
In discussions, I have understood the connector in discussion here to be the one that plugs in the CD player (behind glove compartment).

Salim
Old 05-27-14, 08:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

That looks correct to me! Here's a picture of my CD changer cable, it looks like the pins match with yours.

Here's a full DIY for installation: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tallation.html

Old 05-27-14, 09:27 AM
axelfox
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone.

The pictures that I took are right from behind the glove box. Here is another wider picture:

Is this the CD changer cable?-rx300glove.jpg

I followed hypervish's DIY, and I believe as well it's the same connector, as the pins match (but you can't really be too sure if the CD changer isn't there ).

I also watched GROM's installation video

At about 1:20, the installer pulls out the CD changer cable, which has styrofoam around the wires. Which led me to believe that it was the same one mine (thought other pictures around 'net didn't show styrofoam on the wires).
Old 05-27-14, 09:35 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

OK, let's try this again - what year is your RX, and do you not have a CD changer installed in the glove box already, with the cable attached to it?

The early RX models generally don't work with BT/Ipod/Aux converters (Grom, Dice/Audiovox, etc). Be sure they'll refund your money if it doesn't work.
Old 05-27-14, 09:40 AM
axelfox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
OK, let's try this again - what year is your RX, and do you not have a CD changer installed in the glove box already, with the cable attached to it?

The early RX models generally don't work with BT/Ipod/Aux converters (Grom, Dice/Audiovox, etc). Be sure they'll refund your money if it doesn't work.
Sorry.

2001 RX300
No cd changer installed from the factory (no cutout in the glove for the CD changer).
Old 05-27-14, 09:42 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Interesting, I didn't realize they even imported any without the CD changer! You may be lucky - most of the problems were with the 99-00 model RX. Nobody could come up with anything that worked - ask me how I know . Hopefully, they've found a way to do this now.
Old 05-27-14, 10:09 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Hyper for showing him the DIY. It was strange that it doesn't come with cd changer.
Old 05-27-14, 10:55 AM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attachment 330499

What do you think?

You're on the wrong side of the passenger floor well. I can see the cabin filter opening and engine ECU in the first picture.

Grom provides a youtube installation video specific to the RX.

ETA: Lol. Looks like I should have reloaded the page after I restarted my browser. Missed a bunch of posts.

Last edited by timmui; 05-27-14 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 04:53 PM
axelfox
Driver School Candidate

Ordered the Grom BT3. We'll see how it goes.
Old 05-27-14, 05:34 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Ordered the Grom BT3. We'll see how it goes.
Good luck.
Old 06-01-14, 07:15 PM
axelfox
Driver School Candidate

It works! See original post for details.