RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2003 RX300 Engine Compatibility

Old 06-06-14, 11:30 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The red circle is where I swapped the double threaded bolt.

The two sensors are:

Gray: Oil Pressure. Located at oil pump outlet prior to filter.

Black: crankshaft position sensor

If you give me shots of the ES mounts I can tell u if it will work.

I barely had the equipment to do this. I use ALL air tools up to 3/4" impact with 5/8ths air line.
Old 06-06-14, 12:13 PM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
one is the oil pressure sensor, and the other is the crank position sensor I believe. blue circle is crank position.
green is timing belt tensioner pulley idler....made by Koyo
Ok, good to know. I knew it was a pulley, but thought it odd that the oil pump needed that much speed to drive it.
Originally Posted by jimsRX300
The red circle is where I swapped the double threaded bolt.

The two sensors are:

Gray: Oil Pressure. Located at oil pump outlet prior to filter.

Black: crankshaft position sensor

If you give me shots of the ES mounts I can tell u if it will work.

I barely had the equipment to do this. I use ALL air tools up to 3/4" impact with 5/8ths air line.
Unfortunately, that side of the ES is where an inattentive driver coming out of a parking lot decided to put his now missing front end into my ES. While I can drive it (assuming I put parts I took out of it back in), it isn't safe now that I found a crack in the chassis. Which is why I now own my RX. The engine still works even if it isn't mobile and I always like to learn more about this stuff if only to know what I'm willing and not willing to repair myself.
Old 06-07-14, 05:26 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

@jimsRX300... might be a stupid question but can the highlander 1MZ be dropped in with just the motor mounts swapped to RX mounts? Is it a clearance issue the way everything that is under the timing belt covers on the Highlander that necessitates moving things (oil pump) around for an RX? Unfortunately i haven't had the luxury to see both engines side to side.
Old 06-07-14, 06:59 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
@jimsRX300... might be a stupid question but can the highlander 1MZ be dropped in with just the motor mounts swapped to RX mounts? Is it a clearance issue the way everything that is under the timing belt covers on the Highlander that necessitates moving things (oil pump) around for an RX? Unfortunately i haven't had the luxury to see both engines side to side.
The plain answer is NO. HOWEVER, it just depends on how particular you want to be. The only thing needed to remove is a front engine (passenger side) engine mount which connects somewhere on the highlander subframe. That needs to be swapped with the double threaded bolt. (See picture) The RX power steering pump needs to be swapped over with that.

The Highlander front engine mount is why the power steering pump mounting brackets are different.

I guess you could just cut it off where it meets the attaching bolts. That would be easiest. If you have a good grinder and compressor.

I changed the oil pump (among many other things) because I was required to in order to keep the 1 year unlimited mile warranty (receipts). The JDM engine only has 50K on it. I figured why not just do it right and fully convert it over. I had to drop the oil pans anyways to clean out the block. Had to be 100% sure I was good to go.

The left or front of RX exhaust manifold is different too. I just reused mine.
Old 06-07-14, 07:15 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Stuff I was required to change to keep warranty:

Find the cause of the original engine failure.
Oil Pump
Spark Plugs
Thermostat
Oil Pressure Sensor
Oil Filter
Oil
Timing Belt Service
Water Pump
Coolant Flush

I also:

Cleaned it with a case of carb cleaner and a toothbrush.
Flushed the transmission & changed filter.
Rebuilt front brakes.
New master cylinder.
New gate shocks
Fixed sticking gate handle.
Lubed drivers window regulator & motor.
Replaced transmission lines (front metal)
Scrubbed interior.
Installed GROM Bluetooth.
New AC condenser & drier (huge hole)

All DENSO or AISIN parts when I could.
Old 06-09-14, 06:39 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsRX300
Stuff I was required to change to keep warranty:

Find the cause of the original engine failure.
Oil Pump
Spark Plugs
Thermostat
Oil Pressure Sensor
Oil Filter
Oil
Timing Belt Service
Water Pump
Coolant Flush

I also:

Cleaned it with a case of carb cleaner and a toothbrush.
Flushed the transmission & changed filter.
Rebuilt front brakes.
New master cylinder.
New gate shocks
Fixed sticking gate handle.
Lubed drivers window regulator & motor.
Replaced transmission lines (front metal)
Scrubbed interior.
Installed GROM Bluetooth.
New AC condenser & drier (huge hole)

All DENSO or AISIN parts when I could.
Let us know the total DIY's specialy for condenser & drier. Good luck.
Old 06-10-14, 06:05 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

That's a load of work accomplished. Any further transmission issues?
Old 06-10-14, 06:26 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Well as far as DIY's go for the condenser & drier there isn't much. It's just remove & replace. And the new o-rings.

The catch is, gotta have the manifold gauges and vacuum pump.
Old 06-10-14, 06:27 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
That's a load of work accomplished. Any further transmission issues?
Nothing! Can't even feel it shift. The only way I know is watching the tach. move.
Old 06-10-14, 06:30 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by gazi001
Let us know the total DIY's specialy for condenser & drier. Good luck.
Total DIY? Holy cow!!

There would be so many pictures, I would max out the server space.

Autozone had everything on their website. I just left the transmission.

I broke the CV axle when I forgot to remove the 3 engine mount to differential bolts. There was a lot to pull, just made that boo boo.
Old 07-16-14, 02:35 AM
HalRX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first RX300, 1999, purchased new self destructed the same way at 194,000 miles. My Lexus guy said that there is a filter on the end of the line to the oil pump that goes to the sump. That had gradually become clogged despite oil changes and starved the pump leading to no oil to the engine and that sound you described. At 194,000 miles I donated it to Komen with full disclosure. My paperwork says that it went for $2000 at auction so apparently someone did what you did and is still driving it. Warms my heart!

Anyway, if you have a high mileage RX you might want to preemptively clean that particular filter. I have no idea what that entails.
Old 07-16-14, 04:23 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Reminder:

Please try to keep the discussion on topic else the thread becomes diluted to the point of becoming useless.

You are welcome to add to appropriate existing thread or start a new discussion.

Salim
Old 07-16-14, 05:53 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

When I installed the oil pump into the new engine, I didn't see a filter or a screen. It must be internal. A new Denso oil pump is 75 bucks and a case of carb cleaner is 100. I could have saved the engine for 175 if I knew about it. What a shame.

On a side note, I work on lots of cars. Its my side business, extra money if you will. I have a very extensive shops. I worked on everything, from Jeeps to BMW. With the exception of a few manufacturers, all the quality after 00 is the same. I really believe that it's the owner that makes the difference. I really appreciate the Japanese coming to this country and forcing the US automaker to make good cars.
Old 07-16-14, 02:31 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats a lot of work for an old ride. What makes the RX300 worth that money and effort? Just curious. I like mine as well.
Old 07-17-14, 06:17 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

My wife and I are renting an apartment to save up and buy a house with a great school district. I had a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X 4.7 V8 with about 200K on it. I was a great car but wouldn't fit the car seat (unless in the middle) for our new baby.

A friend of mine has 2 of these 300's both with 250+ on them. I was like OK, old lexus I'll give it a shot.

Well the engine blew. It wasn't worth junking, the body is in decent shape. So I swapped the motor. My wife says I don't need any more tools now that I swapped this sucker.

What would I rather have? A nice house with great schools? Or a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4? The 300 (she calls it the 600 because of two motors) has everything I need to have our LO in. Side airbags and good fuel economy. Parts are cheap and plentiful, and this thing is SUPER easy to work on.

I let my wife drive the nice car, 2012 Durango Citadel HEMI 4x4, we own it. I'm a MOPAR guy.

I really think there is no difference in quality. In fact I think Toyota does some pretty bizarre stuff. I'm grateful the Japanese came here with their cars. It forced Detroit to change. I'm happy Chrysler went bankrupt, they needed to. Now FIAT owns them, they make sweet cars with impeccable quality and fuel economy.

Look at the sales? Ford (never took any bailout money) pound for pound had the most horsepower out of any vehicle in any class. They are a way ahead of all the competition. Jeep sales are unstoppable, the new 8 and 9 speed transmissions are amazing Infiniti, Lexus and Acura are all down in sales for a reason. Acura especially.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 RX300 Engine Compatibility