RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Bulb Out Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 09:29 AM
jiboom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb Out Warning Light

My Bulb Out warning light keeps coming on when I press the brake pedal-I have checked and rechecked every light outside the car all work-changed the 3rd brake light bulb even though it was still working-checked the brake fluid level-am I missing something obvious that I don't know about-it's driving me crazy-any help greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-14, 03:08 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There's a module in the trunk area that is very common to need a re-solder. It's easy to do. Look in the FAQ in the stickies.
Old 04-17-14, 04:00 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to recall that some people have reported the problem being with the float sensor for the brake fluid level. I think I recall that the test is unplugging the float sensor.
Old 04-17-14, 07:25 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I seem to recall that some people have reported the problem being with the float sensor for the brake fluid level. I think I recall that the test is unplugging the float sensor.
Low fluid won't cause the "bulb out" light on the dash. This will illuminate the red "BRAKE" light instead. These are two separate lights.
Old 04-17-14, 11:47 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

At times the problem is not stated properly and at times it is interpreted incorrectly.

Does the warning light come on, the first time the brake is applied after turning the ignition from off to on? If so then there is non-standard current flow in the brake light circuit. One has to get the right wattage bulb(s) and all 5 [5th door high, 5th door sides and tail sides]. Erics99RX mentions module in the trunk. If you have a trailer hitch, that can cause a problem too.

Salim
Old 04-18-14, 12:56 PM
driver1988
Driver

same with my RX. brake light bulb only comes on when you step on the brake at start up. Seems like a common Lexus issue. i got this on my GS too.
Old 04-18-14, 03:55 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by driver1988
same with my RX. brake light bulb only comes on when you step on the brake at start up. Seems like a common Lexus issue. i got this on my GS too.
It is not a Lexus issue. The thing is telling you that one (or more) of your brake filaments is broken or about to break. Have a person stand behind and see which one is not lighting up correctly.

I would also suggest that get a quality bulb which has the same rating as specified in the handbook. or give lexus few extra dollars and buy it from their parts dept.

Salim
Old 05-27-14, 06:01 PM
lexus4us
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unrelated to the break pedal, my console warning indicator is lit denoting "rear" light is out but all the rear bulbs work.
Old 05-27-14, 07:02 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by lexus4us
Unrelated to the break pedal, my console warning indicator is lit denoting "rear" light is out but all the rear bulbs work.
There is out of 'normal' range current being sensed in the tail light circuit. If all the tail light bulbs are lighting up then at least one is not drawing the right current. You can try replacing one bulb at a time till the warning light goes away. You can make an educated guess by visually seeing which bulb is extra/less_than bright.

Salim
Old 05-27-14, 08:01 PM
lexus4us
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
There is out of 'normal' range current being sensed in the tail light circuit. If all the tail light bulbs are lighting up then at least one is not drawing the right current. You can try replacing one bulb at a time till the warning light goes away. You can make an educated guess by visually seeing which bulb is extra/less_than bright.

Salim
Will give it a try. Thanks
Old 05-28-14, 01:07 PM
dbarber45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2001 Lexus RX 300 with 82,000 miles on it. First Lexus. I have experienced several issues since bringing the car home and this forum has provided me with a treasure trove of insight about some of the more common issues. The rear light failure warning has been illuminated on my instrument panel and is constant. It is on from the time I turn the ignition key on to the time I turn it off. I checked (or had the wife) check all the brake and tail lights and as you would expect, they all appear to be burning. Tonight I will check more closely to see if I can detect if any are brighter or dimmer than the others. Thanks to all who share their expertise and wisdom on this forum. I think I will be using this forum quite a lot.
Old 05-28-14, 01:51 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarber45
I recently purchased a 2001 Lexus RX 300 with 82,000 miles on it. First Lexus. I have experienced several issues since bringing the car home and this forum has provided me with a treasure trove of insight about some of the more common issues. The rear light failure warning has been illuminated on my instrument panel and is constant. It is on from the time I turn the ignition key on to the time I turn it off. I checked (or had the wife) check all the brake and tail lights and as you would expect, they all appear to be burning. Tonight I will check more closely to see if I can detect if any are brighter or dimmer than the others. Thanks to all who share their expertise and wisdom on this forum. I think I will be using this forum quite a lot.
Welcome to Club Lexus!

Be sure to check the center third brake light.
Old 05-28-14, 04:40 PM
salimshah

Sometimes the problem is in description and some times it is in understanding ..

Brake out warning comes on the first time you press the brakes after starting and remains lit till the ignition is turned off.

Tail light out comes one and stays on once the lights are turned on (just make sure the stalk is not set to auto for lights).

In either case, each circuit needs to be energized.

Lastly, if you bought the car and it had the problem ,, there is a chance that the right rating bulb(s) may not have been installed.

Salim
Old 05-29-14, 10:14 AM
driver1988
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
It is not a Lexus issue. The thing is telling you that one (or more) of your brake filaments is broken or about to break. Have a person stand behind and see which one is not lighting up correctly.

I would also suggest that get a quality bulb which has the same rating as specified in the handbook. or give lexus few extra dollars and buy it from their parts dept.

Salim
every single bulb works and are new. In fact, Lexus dealer robbed me by fixing this light for $80 only to have it come back on 2 months later.
Old 05-29-14, 10:41 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by driver1988
every single bulb works and are new. In fact, Lexus dealer robbed me by fixing this light for $80 only to have it come back on 2 months later.
I sense the frustration, but luckily you have a consistent fail .. which means that 99.99% it can be fixed. There are not too many combinations that you have to go through. So if it bothers you, patiently go through the fix. If the dealer fixed the problem, you have 1 yr (please confirm) warranty on their work and it would be lot easier for you to make the case as they replaced ALL bulbs.

Salim

Quick Reply: Bulb Out Warning Light