RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 Lexus Rx300 won't start after having lean bank1

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 08:16 PM
yeahedid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Lexus Rx300 won't start after having lean bank1

Hello forum, my name's Shaun. I have a 99 awd rx300 that was throwing p1133, p1135, p0171 and randomly a p0420 (cat below efficiency bank 1) code for about 2 months. Being stretched with multiple cars, I cleared the light a few times at my job to get it to pass emissions. After the third time, the light has stayed off (still lights when key is turned to accessory) but on a recent trip to pick up a part for another car, I noticed drivability issues such as violent jerking, not wanting to shift. I pulled over for a bit, let it sit, and was able to make it back. 3 days later, same thing happens, but worst. Coming to a stop light, it had serious loss of power and stalled when I came to a stop. Started and idled fine in park and neutral, but stalled when I went in gear. Again, I let it sit, and was able to make it back. The next day, it wouldn't start at all (engine spins and has spark and is getting fuel) After checking the mega thread, I finally replaced the bank1 sensor1 a/f sensor, cleaned the MAF, disconnected the battery, but still nothing. It was running relatively fine with the exception of an occasional eggy smell I thought was due to the a/f sensor since my cat doesn't rattle or shown any signs that it's bad. I'm completely stumped as to what to try next :/
Old 03-18-14, 11:04 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Can you borrow/buy a code reader and check if you have any codes?

If we go with your assertions, there is spark and you smell fuel, then timing is the only culprit left. Or your assertions need to be rechecked. You can have a blocked exhaust (very unlikely).

Salim
Old 03-19-14, 03:37 AM
yeahedid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Can you borrow/buy a code reader and check if you have any codes?

If we go with your assertions, there is spark and you smell fuel, then timing is the only culprit left. Or your assertions need to be rechecked. You can have a blocked exhaust (very unlikely).

Salim
I had the timing replaced when I first got the vehicle 4 years (80k miles) ago. And since I disconnected the battery, I'm not sure what would be in the computer. I work at a garage, so I'll see if I can borrow the code reader
Old 03-19-14, 04:09 AM
edupim
Rookie

reading "the egg smell" bring to me a bad feeling about you transmission. Experts people read it again to give a opinion.
Old 03-19-14, 06:47 AM
salimshah

You may not have a CEL set, but you might have pending codes. I am hoping they are related to timing and then you can zero in to the problem.

Salim
Old 03-19-14, 11:15 PM
yeahedid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
You may not have a CEL set, but you might have pending codes. I am hoping they are related to timing and then you can zero in to the problem.

Salim
Ok, so yesterday, I was going to take another car to work but decided to give the RX another try since the key was in my pocket. To my surprise, she started!!! Hesitant at first, but gave it a lil gas, it puffed out some white smoke (assuming from being a lil flooded) then cleared and smoothed out. Scanned it when I got to work, no codes or pendings :/ Ran fine for the first half of the day from my house to work (3 miles), and when I went on a 30 min break. After work, I went for a good trial run bout an hour drive, and the skip/jerking came back just not as sever as before and no stalling. I noticed a low whistling kinda grumbling sound after a while. Can't tell if it's engine or exhaust (or tranny). I will check fluid levels later today. Last time I did, the tranny fluid was nice and cherry red. Didn't notice any smells this time either.
Old 03-21-14, 12:39 AM
yeahedid
Driver School Candidate

So day 2, she still starts fine (still don't know what that was about). Made it to work and scanned the computer, still nothing. In fact, all monitors were even set to ready. But I did pay more attention to the tranny this time. When I start off in the morning, it's relatively cold out still (20's/30's). I let the car warm for about 10 min or so and like I said, it's only 3 miles to my job. I don't notice anything when it's cold-ish. It got up to the 50's today, so when I ran it for a bit to check fluids on break (tranny was surprisingly dark) then left about an hour later, it was nice and warm. That's when it starts, and it's more of a whirling noise when I accelerate, and more noticeable between shifts (not motor). Jerks and bucks a lil if I'm not easy on the gas and can still get up to highway speed (took it for a 1 exit loop by my job). Could it be the transfer case? Should I consider servicing the tranny or trade in? lol it has 191k for miles but has NEVER given me a problem until now and I am mechanically inclined. I always heard about the trannys in these, but never knew what to look out for.

Last edited by yeahedid; 03-21-14 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 12:13 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by yeahedid
.. snip. I always heard about the trannys in these, but never knew what to look out for.
Regular service. If the fluid is dark (chocolate instead of cherry red), it needs servicing.

Salim