RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Blue gray smoke coming from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 01:54 PM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blue gray smoke coming from exhaust

so I have a 2002
300 Rx with only 75000 miles. I have had it serviced regularly and noticed a lot of smoke when the car has been sitting for a while. Had a oil change and filter. No leaks and still going through a quart a week. My mechanic said I need a new engine but going for a 2nd opinion. How do I find a good engine mechanic in my area. Don't want to get ripped off for a new engine if I don't need one. Thanks for any help.
Jill
Old 03-16-14, 02:08 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Need to do a leakdown test. Sounds like valve seals which would require head removal and renovation. Did your "mechanic" not do this before recommending a new engine? If not, get a new mechanic.
Old 03-17-14, 08:01 AM
ashman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Need to do a leakdown test. Sounds like valve seals which would require head removal and renovation. Did your "mechanic" not do this before recommending a new engine? If not, get a new mechanic.
I agree with this. If the smoke is on deceleration, the problem is most likely in the valves area, that is, guides, seals or the valves themselves. If the smoke is on acceleration, then it is likely piston rings.

Both of these issues would cause excessive oil consumption. The compression and leakdown test will indicate which is the likely culprit. I'm not familiar with Lexus engine repair costs but I would be very surprised that the cost of an overhaul of the head and valves would be anywhere near the cost of a new entire engine.

A good mechanic is needed here.
Old 03-17-14, 12:44 PM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure your PCV system is working properly. That can cause excessive oil consumption if it is not working properly.
Old 03-17-14, 01:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

How often is "serviced regularly" ?

Since it is a 2002, sludge isn't as big a concern as it would be on an earlier RX300.
Old 03-17-14, 04:06 PM
kalali
Pole Position

With 75000 miles I would rule everything else out before indicting the engine. Has the car been driven mostly short distances especially in cold climate?
Old 03-17-14, 04:37 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mechanic might be right. Sound like a head gasket leak. To rebuilt a engine may cost you more than just replacing it. Less labor is involve but you also take a chance on purchasing a bad motor as well.

My mechanic here has a one year warranty on the job and motor because if it fail he just return it to where ever he got it from for another one. Check with your mechanic and work something out. Get a second opion as well but make sure it's a reputable shop.

You can try a temporary fix if they diagnose it as head gasket or bad valves..... Autozone has this product called blue devil gasket repaired. Give that a try. Worse come to worse you replace the motor.

Also don't rural out the PCV system either as mention above. Below is a link how to do the test. Good luck.

PCV check
Old 03-17-14, 06:31 PM
losrx
Driver School Candidate

Just did mine on my rx300 valve guide seals. Head gasket usually white smoke and u can smell coolant from the tail pipe or see water dripping from it. You can check to see if your oil is low meaning your valve guide seals are leaking, leaking oil into the cylinders and burning it up and flushing smoke to ur tail pipes. Another check if you pull out ur spark plugs it be all black.
Old 03-17-14, 11:59 PM
zmatt00
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2002 Highlander (i peruse these forums because i am thinking about getting a new car) with i believe the same powertrain as the RX3--. And i have the same problem. I too have low mileage - 60k miles. My issue is that when i just drive around town, I don't consume oil. But if I get it up to speed on the highway, and then let it cool down for a couple of hours, then the next time i start it the car belches a cloud of smoke. I am now starting to consume oil between my twice yearly oil changes.

Right now I am just letting this problem go. I check the oil often and add more oil when necessary. I hope to limp along like this for some time before i finally find a new car I like.

My goal is to find a reliable, comfortable car with lots of cool features. I generally don't often care much about looks, but if something looks like Homer Simpson designed it, I balk. My opinion is that the asymmetrical, metal-finished dash on the current RX looks so ugly that I would just hate to look at it day after day. This plus the lack of cool features compared to the X5 and most other more modern luxury SUVs means i am not buying a Lexus right now. It bums me out, I want to buy the lexus for the reliability and service, but I just can't imagine myself looking at that dash every day. I also do not like the new "stealth fighter" look lexus seems to be going for in the front. In my opinion, a luxury car should look classy, which means understated, which means not too much chrome or metal finishes, and no "edgy" styling.
Old 03-18-14, 03:17 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I only drive to work which is 3 miles or the grocery store. Why would do you think that might. We have had a lot of snow and cold. Thanks, jill
Old 03-18-14, 05:52 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigguppy

You can try a temporary fix if they diagnose it as head gasket or bad valves..... Autozone has this product called blue devil gasket repaired. Give that a try. Worse come to worse you replace the motor.
Sorry, but bad advice. Those products will clog up your cooling/oil passages and do more damage. Most people who use those products sell their cars and pass the problem to the next guy.
Old 03-18-14, 06:02 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sportsmom
Yes, I only drive to work which is 3 miles or the grocery store. Why would do you think that might. We have had a lot of snow and cold. Thanks, jill
This might explain your oil consumption and to a lesser degree the smoke. This type of driving tends to cause sludge build up which in turn can clog some of the smaller oil breathers and venting passages. Short distance combined with cold climate takes a toll on engine and transmissions as well as the cooling system since the fluids never get to operating temperature to burn off moisture but get warm enough to absorb it and keep it within the fluids to create sludge and cause rusting of cooling components. Take it on a nice long drive and keep the engine speed around 3500-4000 for a few minutes.
Old 03-18-14, 06:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
Sorry, but bad advice. Those products will clog up your cooling/oil passages and do more damage. Most people who use those products sell their cars and pass the problem to the next guy.
+1, stay away from snake oil.
Old 03-18-14, 04:05 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
I advice this if she has to replace the engine or plan too. What she got to lose, a engine? Re-read my post.

I personally used it and it worked for me. I put on about 30k miles before selling the car to a family member who still drives it just fine today.

Good luck Jill.
Old 03-19-14, 02:23 PM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

wow you were right on!! just sludge!! So every once in a while I will need for speed. I remember my dad taking his 68 camero out to do this. Thanks again everyone!!! Love this forum.
Jill

Quick Reply: Blue gray smoke coming from exhaust