RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

hello RX guys! here is my new car project... 99 rx300-330 awd

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 08:23 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thats cool. Can't wait to see some driving clips after you finish the swap.
Old 02-16-14, 08:37 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by spacecraft
+1.
Just curious, are there any formalities required in the US to make a car fully road legal, after swapping the engine with one that was not originally available?
Here in Europe, that would be very difficult...
It has been a pretty common practice, swapping engines. During resale, one has to declare the milage of the installed engine .. odo differences.

All states have emission laws and counties (region within a state) have stricter or relaxed emission laws. Regions which includes cities with air quality concerns (many vehicles and industries) have the strictest emission control laws. [States such as California, counties such as Travis in Texas etc]. That is where the "ECU" issue comes up as it tries to control the emission. So any mod one does to the engine, exhaust and drivetrain can trigger the CEL and that can make your vehicle street illegal in the state/county you live in.

If you take the emotional [hobby, interest, curiosity, challenge etc] out of the picture, I hope cleanshot can keep the out of pocket cost below my estimate of $3-5k .

Salim
Old 02-16-14, 11:18 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the 3.0 and the 3.3 are the same thing.. one has a bigger bore.. the 3.3 can be run off the 1mz vvti harness and ecu.. so im putting on the intake from the 1mz on the 3mz and using all the rx300 stuff.. its basically a block and head swap... i havent pulled the engine and trans out of the rx yet but once i do it should not take long at all. take a look at my engine swap on my sc
Originally Posted by salimshah
It has been a pretty common practice, swapping engines. During resale, one has to declare the milage of the installed engine .. odo differences.

All states have emission laws and counties (region within a state) have stricter or relaxed emission laws. Regions which includes cities with air quality concerns (many vehicles and industries) have the strictest emission control laws. [States such as California, counties such as Travis in Texas etc]. That is where the "ECU" issue comes up as it tries to control the emission. So any mod one does to the engine, exhaust and drivetrain can trigger the CEL and that can make your vehicle street illegal in the state/county you live in.

If you take the emotional [hobby, interest, curiosity, challenge etc] out of the picture, I hope cleanshot can keep the out of pocket cost below my estimate of $3-5k .

Salim
im only at like 1200 now, including the car LOL. hopefully thats it just fluids will be left. i bought all gaskets and seals and all.. i dont think il break over 2k worst case scenario.
Old 02-16-14, 01:56 PM
salimshah

When RX went to 3.3 were there transmission changes too?

Salim
Old 02-16-14, 02:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
When RX went to 3.3 were there transmission changes too?

Salim
Yes, Lexus went with the U151(5 gears) instead of the U140.

Pretty much same transmission except for the additional gear.
Old 02-17-14, 07:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
the 3.0 and the 3.3 are the same thing.. one has a bigger bore.. the 3.3 can be run off the 1mz vvti harness and ecu.. so im putting on the intake from the 1mz on the 3mz and using all the rx300 stuff.. its basically a block and head swap... i havent pulled the engine and trans out of the rx yet but once i do it should not take long at all. take a look at my engine swap on my sc

im only at like 1200 now, including the car LOL. hopefully thats it just fluids will be left. i bought all gaskets and seals and all.. i dont think il break over 2k worst case scenario.

Thats interesting! ^^^^^
Old 02-17-14, 10:37 AM
salimshah

So I am expecting metering issues with the larger displacement engine. Not sure if the old ECU will not throw a CEL and the engine matched ECU to give your transmission a fritz.

Glad you are doing it and hopefully pave a way for other members. Rooting for your success.

Salim
Old 02-17-14, 04:05 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What explains the failure of the original engine?
Old 02-17-14, 04:09 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB
I'm thinking aftermarket water pump.

I've seen aftermarket water pumps seize up and cause damage similar to this.

I'm curious as well to know what caused this particular scenario though.
Old 02-17-14, 09:20 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in. I have swapped engines in other vehicles. Very curious here. Best of luck.
Old 02-18-14, 11:36 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'm thinking aftermarket water pump.

I've seen aftermarket water pumps seize up and cause damage similar to this.

I'm curious as well to know what caused this particular scenario though.
Originally Posted by JAB
ill know when i take the engine apart thats in the car.. im thinking oil starvation causing the cam to heat up and fail on the front at the first friction bearing that is lubricated and cooled by the coil flow. cam snapping is not normal for a waterpump seizing that is driven off the timing belt..
once the 1mz is removed from the car im gonna take it all apart, ill sell the good parts if anyone needs them.. im making a table out of the block though lol .. lol

the 3.3 makes like 20 more hp or something like that i highly doubt the ecu is really gonna give a ****. and i heard and seen people doing this no problems.. so im not really worried.

so far i have got, new front and rear main seals, cam seals, water pump, oil pump, intake gaskets, timing belt, tensioner, idler. so far im prolly only 2 hours into the whole thing... i have school during week so weekends are the times ill be working on the project. i haven't touched the car yet..
Old 02-19-14, 12:39 PM
sweet100
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cannot wait to see it
Old 02-19-14, 07:08 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Great job my friend...
Thanks for posting up this useful information...
Old 02-26-14, 07:44 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Update? Trouble?
Old 02-27-14, 06:42 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You'll probably want to make sure to use the MAF sensor for the 3MZ because of the higher displacement.

I'm curious to see how the mileage compares with the 3MZ. I get about 21 mpg in my RX but my wife gets 27mpg with the 3MZ in her ES330. Would love to know how it performs in the RX.

Quick Reply: hello RX guys! here is my new car project... 99 rx300-330 awd