RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New to THIS forum & buying a 2002 RX300 AWD this week

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 07:54 PM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Lexmex & Lexusblack.

I'm excited! I just got home from picking up my new-to-me RX. It rode great on the two hour drive from ATL. It's just a little stiffer than my daughter's FWD since mine's an AWD but still good. The only thing that seemed strange was that smells came right into cabin from fast food and other sources more than I expected. I'm going to check the cabin filter in the morning. It may have also been how I had the AC/recirculation settings. update - Cabin filter is brand new so must be my imagination.

Love having my own RX, and hoping for lots of miles with minimal problems. I'm going to be hanging with you guys for awhile. I learn a lot here.

Last edited by jimbug; 01-20-14 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-20-14, 10:47 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the smell from some old, spilled food.

probably should vacuum and clean the nooks and crevices. specifically the unreachable spot between the two front seats and the center console. you'll have to take out the console to reach there. it's easy, 6 bolts and a couple clips and it's out.
Old 01-24-14, 08:53 PM
mbonne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too late, but...Don't do it.....

I own a 2001 AWD RX300 purchased new. Other than oil & filter (oil, engine, pollen) changes and ATF dual drain and refill at 40,000 and again at 80,000 I have had no costs.

But.

While my previous 2000 AWD RX300 had rather decent rear drive functionality the later RX300, RX330, and some RX350's, pre-2010, do not.

Lexus found that the early RX AWD system was putting to much stress on an already poorly designed (Camry?) transaxle, marginal for a somewhat heavy SUV and with drive traction on all 4 wheels.

So the AWD system, if one could even call it that, was seriously revised for the 2001MY (Sure wish I had known that back then.)

"your" 2002n AWD RX300 came form the factory equipped with the tow package because it included an out-rigger ATF cooler. Additional ATF cooling was required as a result of the transaxle substandard design resulting in ATF overheating, especially with the additional road traction.

None-the-less your 2002 AWD RX300 will require paying close attention to the ATF condition.

My owners manual states, as most likely does the 2002, that the ATF is good for the life of the vehicle. Within short order of purchasing my 2001 I was advised by the dealer that my ATF needed to be drained/flushed and refilled at least every 15,000 miles..

WHAT?

Not trusting the dealer I contacted the factory rep who verified the dealers statement.

As it turned out, in the long term, the issue was revised to state that the ATF condition should be checked at every oil change and only serviced if the ATF was not clear/transparent and remained pinkish in color.

For mine that worked out to be about every 40,000 miles.

The 99 & 00 AWD RX300's had a reasonably functional VC, Viscous Clutch for driving the rear wheels "on demand". There was also an optional rear LSD.

As of 2001 as a result of the HIGH failure rate of the 99 transaxles, and somewhat so for the '00, the AWD system was revised.

The VC fluid was reformulated such that it remained flaccid and thus provided almost no "on demand" drive to the rear wheels. Lexus adopted TC for use to "enforce" rear drive capability should front wheelspin develop. Trouble is this also REQUIRED full and complete engine dethrottling simultaneous with TC activation. It took quite a number of years before Lexus figured out that an experienced wintertime driver could do quite well, much better, actually, without TC.

You will find various means that owners have used in those intervening years to disable TC.

For the RX330 and early RX350 the pretense of AWD was dropped entirely, no VC whatsoever. Lexus marketing, (st,d)ealers will advise you otherwise. Just ask them to show you an RX330/350 factory shop/repair manual as proof..it ISN'T there!

If you feel you might actually have need for AWD functionality then a 2010 RX350 will provide that, Lexus adopted the Ford Escape rear drive clutch technique.

Lexus resolved, alleviated, the ATF overheating issue in the RX330 series by adopting DBW to protect the drive train. In certain conditions DBW is used to delay the onset of raising engine torque in response to accelerator pedal depression. Google: RX330 downshift delay hesitation.

So, my advice...if AWD is not really of interest then look for an RX330. If AWD is of importance then a 2010 or later RX350.

About the 2-3 second downshift delay/hesitation. Like the random and rare condensate problem with the Ford F150 EcoBUST pickup, this somewhat random delay/hesitation can, and will, put life and limb at risk on occasion. Lexus has revised the DBW firmware several times in an effort to more fully alleviate the problem, the most comprehensive of these in about 2008.

But insofar as I am aware, NO cigar.
Old 01-25-14, 12:48 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

mbonne:

Why did you make the mistake, if any, the second time?

All drive trains have their advantages and disadvantages. When I was purchasing '99, I opted for FWD with traction. I knew fully well that the AWD model with viscous coupling would leave you stranded if there is no traction on one of the front and one of the back wheels. My model would be stranded if I have no traction on both the front wheels.

Some make & models dont have a provision to check the transmission fluid. RX check, drain and fill are very easy [easier than oil change].

Salim
Old 01-25-14, 06:08 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Good information about the RX AWD system and model differences. I could tell my wife's '03 is not as good as the Audi or Subaru I've driven in real bad weather but couldn't tell why.
Old 01-25-14, 07:19 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mbonne
Too late, but...Don't do it.....

I own a 2001 AWD RX300 purchased new. Other than oil & filter (oil, engine, pollen) changes and ATF dual drain and refill at 40,000 and again at 80,000 I have had no costs.

But.

While my previous 2000 AWD RX300 had rather decent rear drive functionality the later RX300, RX330, and some RX350's, pre-2010, do not.

Lexus found that the early RX AWD system was putting to much stress on an already poorly designed (Camry?) transaxle, marginal for a somewhat heavy SUV and with drive traction on all 4 wheels.

So the AWD system, if one could even call it that, was seriously revised for the 2001MY (Sure wish I had known that back then.)

"your" 2002n AWD RX300 came form the factory equipped with the tow package because it included an out-rigger ATF cooler. Additional ATF cooling was required as a result of the transaxle substandard design resulting in ATF overheating, especially with the additional road traction.

None-the-less your 2002 AWD RX300 will require paying close attention to the ATF condition.

My owners manual states, as most likely does the 2002, that the ATF is good for the life of the vehicle. Within short order of purchasing my 2001 I was advised by the dealer that my ATF needed to be drained/flushed and refilled at least every 15,000 miles..

WHAT?

Not trusting the dealer I contacted the factory rep who verified the dealers statement.

As it turned out, in the long term, the issue was revised to state that the ATF condition should be checked at every oil change and only serviced if the ATF was not clear/transparent and remained pinkish in color.

For mine that worked out to be about every 40,000 miles.

The 99 & 00 AWD RX300's had a reasonably functional VC, Viscous Clutch for driving the rear wheels "on demand". There was also an optional rear LSD.

As of 2001 as a result of the HIGH failure rate of the 99 transaxles, and somewhat so for the '00, the AWD system was revised.

The VC fluid was reformulated such that it remained flaccid and thus provided almost no "on demand" drive to the rear wheels. Lexus adopted TC for use to "enforce" rear drive capability should front wheelspin develop. Trouble is this also REQUIRED full and complete engine dethrottling simultaneous with TC activation. It took quite a number of years before Lexus figured out that an experienced wintertime driver could do quite well, much better, actually, without TC.

You will find various means that owners have used in those intervening years to disable TC.

For the RX330 and early RX350 the pretense of AWD was dropped entirely, no VC whatsoever. Lexus marketing, (st,d)ealers will advise you otherwise. Just ask them to show you an RX330/350 factory shop/repair manual as proof..it ISN'T there!

If you feel you might actually have need for AWD functionality then a 2010 RX350 will provide that, Lexus adopted the Ford Escape rear drive clutch technique.

Lexus resolved, alleviated, the ATF overheating issue in the RX330 series by adopting DBW to protect the drive train. In certain conditions DBW is used to delay the onset of raising engine torque in response to accelerator pedal depression. Google: RX330 downshift delay hesitation.

So, my advice...if AWD is not really of interest then look for an RX330. If AWD is of importance then a 2010 or later RX350.

About the 2-3 second downshift delay/hesitation. Like the random and rare condensate problem with the Ford F150 EcoBUST pickup, this somewhat random delay/hesitation can, and will, put life and limb at risk on occasion. Lexus has revised the DBW firmware several times in an effort to more fully alleviate the problem, the most comprehensive of these in about 2008.

But insofar as I am aware, NO cigar.
I'm sorry but I'm having a very hard time believing most of your statements.

Why would they create an entire towing package when according to your statement they just had to install an external trans cooler? My 99 AWD had the same exact towing package that my 01 AWD has.
Old 01-25-14, 01:59 PM
jimbug
Driver

mbonne thank you for that technical explanation. If I understood a word of it I would be greatly concerned right now, but you know what they say," Ignorance is bliss." I'll take your advice and do some research on the AWD.

I'm loving my new 2002 RX300 ~AWD so far. I reset my INFO button after filling up with fuel after work today. Then I proceeded to set the cruise control on 60mph on the way home just now and got 33mph! Interstate 90% of the way but I may cause a wreck if I drive that slow again:-)
Old 01-28-14, 11:46 AM
jimbug
Driver

Ok, I got my transmission service done today. Had him drop the pan, and check the screen in addition to draining and filling. I'll drain and fill again in 30,000 miles. Accelerator was sticking and he fixed it as well (adjustment).

The best news is how well my ~AWD did today in very slick snow conditions. It was awesome on slick icy areas where there had been lots of traffic, and in fresh snow in my subdivision where no one could make it up the hill. My tires only have 4/32 of tread and I was amazed how well it went. Loving this vehicle so far.
Old 01-28-14, 12:00 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

jimbug:

When it is about being on the road, it is not just how your vehicle performs .. it is what other clowns are doing in their rigs.

I live in South and get impacted by ice (like today) and prefer to keep the vehicles in door as much as possible. Last time I was out, some clowns in their 4x4 (the ones you can seriously call 4x4) were showing off and had little knowledge that a 4x4 on ice can only work if the rubber makes contact with the road. With ice like glass their 4x4 is of no advantage and only momentum keeps them going to the next dry patch.

I tell every one, know the limitations of your vehicle but also keep an eye on the environment (which includes novices and clowns on the road).

Stay safe every one.

Salim
Old 01-28-14, 12:20 PM
jimbug
Driver

Salim, you're exactly right. I never would have ventured out today, but I was at work 25 miles from home and had dropped my vehicle off for service when the snow hit. Weatherman missed calling this one. By the time they had serviced my vehicle roads were a mess. I had to change directions a couple times to avoid roads people were sliding on. I'm sure I could have made it through, but couldn't count on the others to not slide in to me. I'm safely parked at home and expect to be there for awhile.
Old 02-12-14, 07:17 AM
jimbug
Driver

UPDATE!!!

I'm still loving my new-to-me 2002 RX300 AWD. When I got the transmission serviced a couple weeks ago they also fixed my accelerator pedal that had been sticking after stop. They fixed it by cleaning the throttle body. The gas mileage after the tranny service and throttle body cleaning has increased by 2 mpg. I was averaging 18.6 before this service and I'm averaging 20.8 since the service with a mix of highway and city driving.

My RX is by no means perfect, but in very good condition so far. One thing I'm noticing is that the Lexus chrome wheels are bubbling up. It's not very noticeable from more than 10 feet away, but I'm sure they may get worse over time. They have been on the vehicle since the beginning and this vehicle spent a couple years in Calgary, Canada so I'm sure it saw lots of salt. I'm learning so much about the mechanicals of my RX on this forum.
Old 02-12-14, 07:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Lexus!
Old 02-20-14, 05:28 PM
jimbug
Driver

Love my RX300!! Warmed up a lot around here, and snow is gone so I poked around under the hood and got some photos of fluid levels and new steering cable? Coolant looks a little low.

Old 02-20-14, 06:03 PM
tman1352
Driver School Candidate

I went to a Pepboys recently and asked about tranny service for my RX. I was told that it was not really necessary but if I wanted to do it they were recommending a Castrol tranny fluid which they say is better than the Toyota original fluid. They also said that the tranny filter is not serviceable. Anyone know of this? Also 100,000 miles sounds a lot of miles in between tranny service.
Old 02-20-14, 09:06 PM
akfish
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at the trans dip stick and noticed it said....''No need to service under normal driving conditions.''

But I intend too.

Quick Reply: New to THIS forum & buying a 2002 RX300 AWD this week