RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Day Time Running Lights inoperative

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 03:04 PM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day Time Running Lights inoperative (actually pass. hi-beam not working)

I noticed that my Day Time Running lights are not working. The bulbs are good and everything comes on with the headlights. The owners manual says the headlights turn on at "reduced intensity: when the parking brake is released with the engine is started (with the headlight switch OFF).
I'm not getting any lights On with the headlight switch in the Off position, engine running, and PK brake released.

Oddly, I thought the outer parking lights where the Day Time running lights (I could have sworn these used to be on when the headlights off with engine running). Anyways nothing is lit now. I checked all the fuses.

What next. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? Is there a relay or separate switch at the parking brake?

Mine is a 2001 with HID headlights.

Last edited by mshumack; 12-27-13 at 12:03 PM. Reason: update title
Old 12-24-13, 04:53 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

While I don't have HID headlights, I think the Daylight Running Lights (DRLs) are the high-beam headlights operating at reduced voltage. Do you have normal high-beam headlight function? I think that's the first thing to check.
Old 12-24-13, 05:10 PM
mshumack
Driver

After reading a bunch of posts on DRL, I found that the DRLs don't work if one of the high beam lights are burnt out - so I went out and checked, and sure enough, I have a burnt out bulb. I don't use high beams so I never noticed it was out.
Old 12-24-13, 05:11 PM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by bob2200
While I don't have HID headlights, I think the Daylight Running Lights (DRLs) are the high-beam headlights operating at reduced voltage. Do you have normal high-beam headlight function? I think that's the first thing to check.
Thanks - good call.
Old 12-27-13, 07:52 AM
mshumack
Driver

Okay - problem not as simple as a burnt out bulb. I installed new 9005 bulb (hi-beam, pass side) and it still doesn't work. I checked all the fuses - all good. I swapped the DRL No. 2 and 4 relays (same part) and no change. Now I need a wiring diagram.

Is there anything comon that fails on these RXs regarding the passanger side high-beam light?
Old 12-28-13, 05:49 AM
mshumack
Driver

Just to update --- I now have a subscription to Alldata DYI (alldatadyi.com) so I have access to all the manuals and wiring diagrams. So yesterday after work I started checking things out (testing for power with the headlights on) and when I got to the right side (pass.) headlight and started to unplug the connector, the low beam went off. I moved a few harnesses/plugs around a little and the low beam and high beam came on. So the problem is a loose connector or pinched harness in that area. Nothing obvious yet. It was getting dark so I stopped for the night. I should be able to pin point the connector today since I can replicate the problem.

I most likely caused this problem last week because I was working in that area when I replaced the parking and fog light bulbs with LED lights (from VLED). I must have bumped a connector loose.
Old 12-28-13, 07:20 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

All connectors have a lock, so the chance of bumping a connecter loose are next to nothing. If you or any one in the past did not snap the connector or have a broken tab then it can happen.

Pinched wires usually end up popping a fuse.

Most likely it is a relay which forms a good connection on getting a tap/jiggle.

Salim
Old 12-28-13, 08:12 AM
mshumack
Driver

I was a loose connector. I must have unplugged it (either purposely or by accident) when I installed the LED parking and fog lights and did not fully seat the connector when reassembling. It was a real challenge swapping out the parking light bulb on the pass side and I had to attack it from both the top and bottom. This morning I pulled the windshield washer filler neck out and was able to get me hand in there to find problem.