RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

still leaking after rear main seal and gasket replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 09:30 AM
rhythms57
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default still leaking after rear main seal and gasket replaced

Hi:
I have an RX300 year 2000 now running 235k miles.
I took the plunge to get rear main seal replaced after living with the oil leak for quite some time. Main idea was to keep the car running 2 more years.
There was some leak from gasket also and that was also replaced by the dealer.

After I brought the car back home and drove a couple of days, I am noticing something leaking again. It is not the typical dark color liquid but of lightly blue color. I am taking the car back to the dealer. Getting wary that I might have gotten myself into that proverbial spin of fixing one thing after another with an old car.

Any idea what could be the issue now? I am going to take a better look under the car today but my earlier look did not show anything obvious.
I read the forum posts and there was one where it talked about possible transmission leak also.. hope not in my case :-(

What should i check?

Thanks for any help in advance!

And Happy Holidays to everyone who can take off some time now!
Old 12-24-13, 09:49 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only blue fluid in the car is windshield washer fluid. The container is near the front behind the headlight near the passenger side firewall.
Old 12-24-13, 10:19 AM
rhythms57
Driver School Candidate

yes, i thought of that, but this looks different than that. it's definitely lighter color than the usual oil leak. i will take another look at it today.
Old 12-24-13, 11:16 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bad PCV can cause excessive crankcase pressure build up leading to oil leaking at seals (especially on high-mileage engines which would have more "blow by").

Also, if you just switched to a synthetic oil, that could cause some leakage too.

If the dealer just repalced the seal, he probaly changed the oil too - that might account for the lighter colored oil (new oil versus old "dark" oil) but not "blue" fluid. Have the dealer add some "leak detector" (florescent dye) to the engine oil. Drive a round for a couple of days then have the dealer recheck for leaks, The dye will show up with a black light (UV light) and it will be unmistakable that it is engine oil.

Transmission oil is red.
Old 12-24-13, 07:02 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Color (visual)
Viscosity (pinch and spread thumb and index finger)
smell
Taste (nah just kidding)

Are the standard tests and the my favorite is check the level of all fluids and check again after few hours. The level that dropped is most likely what you are loosing.

Fluids that can drip:
Condensate from AC
Wiper washer, use or a break in the lines or cracked reservoir.
Coolant ... usually comes out as steam
Engine Oil
Transmission fluid.
Hydraulic (brake) fluid.
Read diff (AWD models)
CV joint grease.
Battery acid

Salim
Old 12-25-13, 11:11 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Color (visual)

Fluids that can drip:
Condensate from AC
Wiper washer, use or a break in the lines or cracked reservoir.
Coolant ... usually comes out as steam
Engine Oil
Transmission fluid.
Hydraulic (brake) fluid.
Read diff (AWD models)
CV joint grease.
Battery acid

Salim
My RX doesn't leak any Salim at all. Not sure if it even has any
Old 12-26-13, 06:44 AM
rhythms57
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mshumack
A bad PCV can cause excessive crankcase pressure build up leading to oil leaking at seals (especially on high-mileage engines which would have more "blow by").

Also, if you just switched to a synthetic oil, that could cause some leakage too.

If the dealer just repalced the seal, he probaly changed the oil too - that might account for the lighter colored oil (new oil versus old "dark" oil) but not "blue" fluid. Have the dealer add some "leak detector" (florescent dye) to the engine oil. Drive a round for a couple of days then have the dealer recheck for leaks, The dye will show up with a black light (UV light) and it will be unmistakable that it is engine oil.

Transmission oil is red.
Yes, its oil. Its not red. Has thr typical oil smell. My mistake earlier thinking it was blue because something else on the driveway and the rain discolored it.
I am sitting at dealer shop and they are thinking its some residue oil ( yes they did the oil change when replacing the seal). I will. ask them about running the dye test. Thanks very much.
Old 12-26-13, 06:57 AM
rhythms57
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rhythms57
Yes, its oil. Its not red. Has thr typical oil smell. My mistake earlier thinking it was blue because something else on the driveway and the rain discolored it.
I am sitting at dealer shop and they are thinking its some residue oil ( yes they did the oil change when replacing the seal). I will. ask them about running the dye test. Thanks very much.
Also its light colored oil. The thing that worried me is that the leak was there even 5 days after the service.. worried if the didn't put something back right or left it loose:-)
Old 12-26-13, 08:29 AM
rhythms57
Driver School Candidate

Also its light colored oil. The thing that worried me is that the leak was there even 5 days after the service.. worried if the didn't put something back right or left it loose:-)
OK..so the guy says its leaking from top valve gasket because they twisted it too hard.. the consultant couldn't explain well but the bottom line is they didn't do the job right the first time!! 'We will take care of it.. here is a loaner car' etc..but now I am thinking did the mechanic did something else wrong:-(
Old 12-29-13, 07:19 AM
rhythms57
Driver School Candidate

OK..so the guy says its leaking from top valve gasket because they twisted it too hard.. the consultant couldn't explain well but the bottom line is they didn't do the job right the first time!! 'We will take care of it.. here is a loaner car' etc..but now I am thinking did the mechanic did something else wrong:-(
Update: The dealer had to replace some parts of the top valve gasket they had damaged it so bad, while replacing the seal the first time.
They claimed that this time ran the car and left it sitting long enough and checked for no leaks, that they don't think there will be any more oil leaks. I have taken it back home now and will be watching for a week to see if that is true. If anything changes, I will update. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 12-29-13, 07:39 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Good that they took care of your RX

Salim
Old 12-29-13, 09:55 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

what dealership in NJ took care of you? Glad to hear they made good on their shoddy first repair attempt.