RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Wet windshield on inside and water by B pillar

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 06:53 PM
Levictus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wet windshield on inside and water by B pillar

Hi guys

I'm newer to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 2003 RX300 with 94,500 miles. My wife has been complaining about a foggy windshield every time she leaves work. Kind of blew it off as it didn't sound like a big deal. She got really upset the past couple nights leaving work and couldn't get it to go away with the defroster. After heavy frost this morning and freezing temps, I went out to start the car and get all the frost off the windows. Found that the INSIDE of the windshield was frozen and frosted over. My wife verified tonight after works as the windshield was again wet on the inside to the point she had to wipe it down before she could drive.

I did some searching on this forum and found others with a similar issue and water in the carpets as well. I felt mine and found standing water pooling at the back of the drivers seat rail by the pillar between the two doors.

Looks like this is either clogged sunroof drains and/or clogged AC drain. Can you far more experienced people than I verify I am on the right path here? Any links you have would also be awesome. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-12-13, 07:30 AM
Levictus
Driver School Candidate

Update: after doing some reading, I also found standing water in the spare tire well, enough to soak a bath towel. I located two of the sunroof drain holes towards the front of the roof, but couldn't see the other two. Anyone have any thoughts on this post?
Old 12-12-13, 07:58 AM
Z07
Driver

Originally Posted by Levictus
<snip> any thoughts on this post?
I haven't had the headliner out of an RX and hope never to need to. But I'll share my experience based on my old SAAB 900.

The rear drains are at the back of the tray for the moonroof. Imagine the roof retracted and where it would end is about where the rear drains are located.

The drains feed rubber hoses that are held on with only spring clamps. The fronts drain down the A pillar and into the rocker where the hose ends and hopefully the water sloshes around and eventually out a little tab open in the sheet metal between spot welds without causing rust.

The rears drain down the C pillar and similarly end in the rockers.

WD40 and low pressure like < 20PSI compressed air can push whatever is in the drain down and into the rocker. A generic speedometer cable can make a good snake for the drains.

I haven't removed an RX rocker panel either. But you may be able to access the rear drain's hoses from below and fish and vacuum them out.

No matter what method you employ, always consider the hoses are secured with little spring clips and knocking one off means parking indoors until you can pull the headliner.

EDIT: Look at this image lifted from the antenna mast DIY

That hose is the drain. You may be able to pull it up into the rear there and clean it out from the cargo area.

Last edited by Z07; 12-12-13 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-15-13, 10:59 AM
Levictus
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by Z07
I haven't had the headliner out of an RX and hope never to need to. But I'll share my experience based on my old SAAB 900.

The rear drains are at the back of the tray for the moonroof. Imagine the roof retracted and where it would end is about where the rear drains are located.

The drains feed rubber hoses that are held on with only spring clamps. The fronts drain down the A pillar and into the rocker where the hose ends and hopefully the water sloshes around and eventually out a little tab open in the sheet metal between spot welds without causing rust.

The rears drain down the C pillar and similarly end in the rockers.

WD40 and low pressure like < 20PSI compressed air can push whatever is in the drain down and into the rocker. A generic speedometer cable can make a good snake for the drains.

I haven't removed an RX rocker panel either. But you may be able to access the rear drain's hoses from below and fish and vacuum them out.

No matter what method you employ, always consider the hoses are secured with little spring clips and knocking one off means parking indoors until you can pull the headliner.

EDIT: Look at this image lifted from the antenna mast DIY

That hose is the drain. You may be able to pull it up into the rear there and clean it out from the cargo area.
Thanks for your help Z07, much appreciated. I am attempting the fix today
The following users liked this post:
southpark (10-18-19)