RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Toyota Techstream!

Old 12-09-13, 01:44 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Toyota Techstream!

Any one buy one of these off of Amazon?
Amazon.com: Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software: Car Electronics

Look's like it will work on our RX300's considering it's a Toyota product.

I'm thinking about buying it, should be quite useful.

EDIT: Did a search look's like it definitely works on other Lexus' :https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ol-ever-2.html

Should be able to change the C-Best settings with this cable, among other things.

Last edited by hypervish; 12-09-13 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 04:59 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like an interesting tool. I personally have little use for playing with any of the settings that I'm aware of like lights, etc., but I would be interested to hear about the on-line diagnostics features.
What are the C-Best settings?
Old 12-09-13, 05:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

C-Best Settings: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/403505-post35.html
Old 12-09-13, 07:21 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Seems like a trojan horse. Software is missing.

Salim
Old 12-10-13, 02:31 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, but the reviews all talk about the software. Would be cool to have, looks like you have to have XP to make it work too.
Old 12-10-13, 04:59 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Thanks a lot. Love to hear experiences with the diagnostics features.
Old 12-10-13, 05:54 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Seems like a trojan horse. Software is missing.

Salim
It comes with software, the official Toyota software just bypassing the activation method.

*I do not condone piracy*

Last edited by hypervish; 12-10-13 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 05:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalali
Thanks a lot. Love to hear experiences with the diagnostics features.
I did a few more searches here on Club Lexus, and it does in fact work. Found multiple threads talking about changing C-Best/LPS.

Also live engine diagnostics, etc. However, the "live" diagnostics is slow in refreshing the data, takes a second or two in order to refresh as the cable being sold is a knock-off. The genuine cable sold for hundreds of dollars.

You can apparently also programs keys to the ECU using this. Wonder if that means you can use your only non-remote key to program a remote key?

I've heard another limitation is it will not let you flash/upgrade your ECU. Which is fine by me, cause I wouldn't trust a $30 knockoff enough to attempt to do that.
Old 12-10-13, 10:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I saw the discussion in the GX section, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...echstream.html

nd would be interested in getting one of these, but need to know which one. I have an old Vista machine I could probably get to run in 32 bit mode as mentioned.
Old 12-10-13, 11:03 AM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
<snip> Wonder if that means you can use your only non-remote key to program a remote key? <snip>
Figure out a way for me to add a new master with only a valet key using this cable and I'll gladly send you $50 toward your research effort.
Old 12-10-13, 11:11 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07
Figure out a way for me to add a new master with only a valet key using this cable and I'll gladly send you $50 toward your research effort.
Have you checked with dealer if it is possible to begin with?

Salim
Old 12-10-13, 11:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Z07
No money needed, but If I do buy it I will attempt to do that and let you know.

But as Salim said ask the dealer, if they say it's possible then you can likely do it with this program/cable.
Old 12-10-13, 11:59 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I saw the discussion in the GX section, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...echstream.html

nd would be interested in getting one of these, but need to know which one. I have an old Vista machine I could probably get to run in 32 bit mode as mentioned.
Didn't even see that thread...lol Look's like this product is well known on CL.

The one i linked to on amazon in my original post is the one to get I believe, according to someone I know over on BITOG.

Some are saying the software only works on Windows XP 32 bit, but others have gotten it work on newer operating systems. For me it's not a concern, cause I will run a virtual machine to get it to work on my Mac.
Old 12-10-13, 12:13 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i didn't know about this on a Lexus. But it would be a kool feature. Sounds just like a Volvo feature. Now Volvo has tons of feature for customisable and requires VIDA/DICE.
But when i aske the dealer (long time back) if there things that can be customize ..they said no. Well in the ES300 atleast.
Old 12-10-13, 12:38 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
Have you checked with dealer if it is possible to begin with?

Salim
I have. Their solution is a new ECM and two keys cut and programmed by them. If Lexus picks up the cost of the ECM then it is $650 if not then well over $2,000. I spoke to the guy on the phone about other things too. Based upon that conversation and the fact that there are third parties offering ECM flash service, I do not respect the opinion of my local Lexus service writer as the final word on anything. In looking at the service history of my wife's RX I saw they replaced a taillight bulb. When I was in the same area replacing the antenna mast, I found one of their screwdrivers and the broken end of a magnetic retrieval tool. I also found two of the plastic trim clips were damaged. Based upon finding that, I don't trust them to change a light bulb either.

YMMV

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Techstream!